Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Beginner

Default Advice? Celebrity's Zenith 4-Niite W. Caribbean (Feb)

Hello all! My husband and I are joining another couple on the Celebrity Zenith's Western Caribbean Cruise in mid February. It will be a first cruise for all of us. We've already received our packets from Celebrity and I've been perusing these boards, but I still have questions about packing for this adventure. Am hoping those of you who have done this cruise can answer a few questions for us:

Do the Zenith's cabin's come equipped with a hairdryer and bath robes? Sounds like no clock radio is provided?

How many casual/informal and formal dinner nights can we expect on this cruise? This is not addressed in Celebrity's literature (no mention of 4 nite cruises, actually). Is a dark jacket , slacks & tie for men acceptable for the "formal" dinner -- or is a suit or tux a must?

We certainly don't want to be turned away from the dining room and we don't want to be out of place either but since we have many hours to spend in the Miami airport both pre and post cruise, we'd like to pack as light as possible.

We'll all appreciate any advice you can offer to our group of first time cruisers! Thank you!

Alayne in VA
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Admiral

alayne - you would do better to post your question over on the Celebrity board.
Go to Celebrity web site and go to the FAQ section, you should find the information that you are looking for regarding robes and hairdryers, i think the answer is yes, not positive.
No to the clock radio, there are radio station on the television. Its a good idea to pack a small battery operated travel alarm clock. Actually there are no clocks in your stateroom, the time is on the phone display.
I am not sure about the formal night question, if you do have a formal night, on Celebrity a dark suit dress shirt/tie & dress shoes is what the men would need to pack. For the ladies a very nice dressy cocktail dress or dinner suit would be just fine.
Old January 19th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hi alayne

Haven't sailed on the Zenith yet, but will in 2007.

Being said. Lisa is correct. No clock in room only on phone..a travel alarm is a good idea, however you can also get a wake up call.

On all of the X ships I've been on there are robes for your use, and a hair dryer in the bathroom. Some of the ladies I travel with prefer to bring their own which you can plug into the vanity in the cabin.

As for formal nights, on a 4 night itinerary you will most likely have one.

The first night Casual. Second Formal. Third informal or casual and the last would be casual.

On my recent 3 night cruise on Mercury we had two casual and 1 formal.

For formal a dark suit is best...a tux is more fun. You can rent one and have it delivered to your cabin so he doesn't have to drag it around. Informal would be a sports coat and slacks.

To be honest you really don't need much. Maybe 1 small suitcase between both of you.

You each need a formal outfit, informal, and casual. a couple pairs of shorts , a couple casual shirts and sandals or casual shoes...

My recent 2 night cruise I only brought a carry-on and actually overpacked a little.

Less is more....with the exception of the evening wear.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Admiral

alayne,

Do the Zenith's cabin's come equipped with a hairdryer and bath robes?

Yes.

Sounds like no clock radio is provided?

No, but you can get the time in your babin by tuning the television to the bridge channel. On most ships, the telephone also displays the time.

Celebrity's shipboard telephones have an automatic wake-up feature. You just push the "Wake-up" button and punch in the time when you want your wake-up call in response to the prompts. The telephone will ring automatically at that time.

The more useful thing to bring is a penlight or small flashlight so you don't have to turn on the lights in the main cabin, thus disturbing your cabin mate, if you get up to use the head during the night.

How many casual/informal and formal dinner nights can we expect on this cruise?

Probably two casual (first and last) with a formal night and an informal night between them.

On Celebrity, formal DOES mean formal. If a man does not have a dark suit, rent him a formal outfit (tuxedo or, better yet, a white dinner jacket outfit). A gentleman also will need a sportcoat for the informal evening.

For ladies, it's impossible to overdress for the formal evening. If you have a formal dress, wear it. If not, a formal cocktail dress is acceptable. Also, bring a cocktail dress and appropriate accessories for the informal evening.

For daywear and for the causal evenings, I would bring five polo shirts (includings a spare in case something happens), two paris of slacks, two or three pairs of dressy shorts (the kind with belts and pockets), two swimsuits, a pair of flipflops, and a pair of moccasins or sandals. For ladies, bring five tops, a couple pairs of shorts or skirts for daywear, and a couple skirts or paris of slacks to wear on the casual evenings.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Beginner

Thanks Lisa, Dave & Norm-
Per Lisa's advice, I did check out Celebrity's FAQ, but y'all have been much more helpful than what I learned there. I'll heed your advice & appreciate it very much!
Alayne