Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
First Mate

Default Vacuum seal bags

We were thinking of bringing one of those space saver bags for dirty clothes at the end of the trip (making more room to bring back our shopping haul), but you need a vacuum to compress them. Has anyone tried this and will the staff of the ship let you "borrow" the vacuum on the last night at sea? Also, do these vacuums have an external hose that could be used of this or are they upright only?

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Finding a steward, plus getting the vacuum, plus getting the right size hose to fit the attachment may be a bit too much to ask.

I think there may be other ways to save on space. Also, even if you vacuum out the air the weight remains the same.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Beginner

You might also look for bags that don't require a vacuum cleaner to suck out the air. I've seen models that work by tightly rolling the filled bag (the way you'd roll a sleeping bag) and forcing the air out one end through a one-way valve.
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Admiral

dlm2005,

We were thinking of bringing one of those space saver bags for dirty clothes at the end of the trip (making more room to bring back our shopping haul), but you need a vacuum to compress them. Has anyone tried this and will the staff of the ship let you "borrow" the vacuum on the last night at sea? Also, do these vacuums have an external hose that could be used of this or are they upright only?

I was going to explain why this idea probably sucks (or doesn't...), but Mike beat me to it.

(Sorry, but I really couldn't resist that fat of a straight line!)

But I do think that Mike is right. Borrowing a vaccuum with the right attachmetns probably is asking too much. In fact, I think that those vaccuum bags are an invention to sell suitcases when people who are on a trip cannot repack them for want of a vaccuum.

Norm.
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Captain

tryed the space bags on your last cruise they don,t work not worth
the money if you want the one don;t have you canfind them at wal-mart
in the travel dept
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Those large storage bags that they sell at the grocery store work better than those space bags (which you won't have a vac for anyways). You can seal the air out and compact the heck out of the contents. Nice and cheap too!
Old February 7th, 2006, 08:45 AM
First Mate

Thanks everyone...sounds like an idea for the discard pile.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Ziploc type bags work just as well, and they come in large sizes now. You can either roll them or sit on them to squish out all the air. We pack socks & undies this way, takes up so much less room.
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ziplock - that's the brand name I was spacing on.

Those bags are great and good for travel. We use them to store our off season clothes.
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Admiral

I know you can get the really big zip-loc bags at Target. You pack them, zip the loc almost all the way and "lay" on the bag to squish the air out - then zip the loc the rest of the way. It also help prevent wrinkles - tho I can't figure out how. Cheap and effective - just like me lol.

I pack outfits that way - including socks and undies - great for organizing your trip.

Take care - stop worrying and have a fun trip!!!

ttfn Jennifer
Old February 24th, 2006, 02:38 PM
First Mate

Ditto the 2 gallons jobs from Target. You can buy an arm full of them for the price of a space saver bag.

Space saver bags are crap. They wrinkle clothes and tear easy which renders them pretty useless.

Packit folder are the cats pajamas for general packing. An online camping retailer who's name starts with Camp and ends with mor has them at less then half price (close out). I picked up a couple extra ones about a month ago. Also grabbed a couple for early bird Christmas presents. I cant recommend them enough. They're a steal at the close out price.

Ive done both bags and folders. Folders win hands down. I fit all my collared shirts, tee shirts, and dockers for a week long cruise into one folder last cruise.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old February 25th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Russell in MD
Thanks so much for the insight about the packit folders. I have been looking for these but they seemed so expensive. I just odered 2 each of 3 different types. While I was on the site I picked up a polar fleece vest for myself too. My DH will thank you when he gets the credit card bill !
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Passenger

VACCUM SEAL BAGS STINK. WE TOOK A MILITARY STYLE DUFFLE BAG..SAT IT IN THE CORNER AND FILLED IT UP. THEN WHEN IT CAME TIME TO GET OFF THE SHIP...WE JUST ASKED FOR ANOTHER LUGGAGE TAG. P.S. WHEN YOU GET OFF THE BOAT IF YOU HAVE ANY ROLLER/HANDLE TYPE SUIT CASES, JUST DRAG IT BEHIND YOU...COULD MEAN 1 OR 2 LESS BAGS TO FIND WHEN YOU GO TO LOOK FOR YOUR LUGGAGE.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme
Default another thought on the large ziplocs

For anyone who might meander onto this thread a little late in the game....

I use the 2 gallon ziplocs, too. And, because it can be difficult to see how many actual outfits I've pulled once it's all in a big pile awaiting the suitcase, I started packing essentially a single outfit in each bag and writing on it with a sharpie "Amy Day #1" or "Amy gym clothes x 3" or whatever. That way I can see how many actual outfits I've pulled to pack and end up with the right number of tops & bottoms and whatnot. Sounds like a little much probably, but it just keeps my already spinning pre-vacation head a little more together.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:29 PM
First Mate

Default Vacuum pack bags

Russel in MD and/or CStorm . ..

Would you please post the site where you ordered the Packet Folders.

Thanks, crabbie1
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:59 PM
First Mate

I got in trouble the last time I posted a link to it.

Put the words "camp" and "mor" together and do a google search. It should come up on top. You can look up things by manufacture. Do the drop down window thing and go with eagle creek or sort by travel stuff or hot deals.

Hurry they only have the large ones left the last time I looked.

Russell

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old May 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Default Vacuum pack bags

Russel in MD

Thank you for your input......Found it
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

If anyone is still browsing this subject - I found the perfect solution and it REALLY DOES WORK!

Go to Bagsbuy.com (affiliate of Shoebuy.com) and check out the travel accessories area or in the search space enter: Eagle Creek Pack-It Compressor Bags (also come in 2 or 3 pack sets) I have the 2-pk set (1 medium measures 15.5"x24.5" and the large is 17.5"x28.5") No vacuum needed to remove air; it reduces the volume (space in luggage) by 80% and can be used for clean/dry items or for wet clothes as well (suggest wet stuff not remain in sealed bag for long period of time). I

fold clothes flat and neatly (shirts, pants, bathing suits, undies, etc) layer items in same direction, one on top of the other, with any pins, zippers, buttons or any sharp decorations on garment facing the inner most section of the clothing. Leave 2-3 inches of space at each end of the bag (one end has a plastic zipper slide and the other end has the valves that allow the compressed air to be released. If not done properly the zipper will not hold the vacuum) Work on hard, flat surface when packing.

Slide the zipper closed. Start ROLLING the bag from the zipper end to the opposite end (valves) Roll as tightly as possible (you will see and hear the air being forced out) For maximum compression you can just turn the bag over and roll it again to force any air pockets thru valved.

I bought some King Sized Non-Allergic Firm pillows recently to be used on new bedrm furniture we bought. I wanted to use them only on the new bedding, but my linen closet is really small - so I tried putting the pillows into the Compressor bags and used up only a fraction of space in the closet that would have otherwise taken up three shelves! The pillows were taken out a few weeks later and immediately returned to their original size & shape; it also workes on comforters, bedspreads, winter coats and bulky clothing to be stored.

I kid you not! This is the real deal....all you have to do is slide the zipper open to restore your "stuff"! And, little or no wrinkling with clothing that is placed neatly when packed.

I searched a few sites for best pricing on Eagle Creek bags - the best deal I got was on Bagsbuy.com. I am a registered buyer so I saved an extra 10% off the 15% discounted promotional sale price of $25.95.(for 2 pc set I paid $18.32). Also, that site never charges sales tax or shipping/handline and

even if you want to return anything, they pay the return shipping & handling! That goes for Shoebuy.com too - if you register (no strings attached) for savings e-mail messages, you get all discounts on both sites and everytime you make a purchase within 60 days of your last purchase, you get another 10% or more off your order!

If anyone reads this and tries these bags I would like to know what your experience was if you leave feedback to this post.

Happy sailing to all!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days