Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Passenger

Default formal dress...HELP

any ladies have any good places to look for formal dresses for my cruise 6/10/06?????
I am having a VERY hard time finding something I like. And I need TWO. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 14th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Passenger

There are LOTS of options! Right now is a great time to start looking - post prom there are some great bargains out there.

David's Bridal has some good deals.

There are TONS of internet sites to order from - do a Google search.

I'm a plus-size, so my bookmarks are for those kinds of dresses - what are YOU looking for??

Another sugguestion - Goodwill or Salvation Army.

And don't forget to check Ebay...there are TONS of good deals on there; just remember to go by measurements, not just the size listed.

Good luck, and enjoy the looking. I ADORED formal night!

Anni
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Passenger

Davids Bridal won't look to wedding like? I am a sz. 16 and 32 yrs old . My problem is everything I find I like only goes to a sz. 12. And when I look at sz. 16 I look like I'm 90.
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Passenger

Default dress advise

Here in Ohio JC Penneys has a nice selection of dress/and cocktail dresses. There prices are reasonable also. Make sure you check the clearance racks also. Have a great day. Cruisers from Ohio
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

I too am a size 16 and only 36 so I understand what you are saying. If you have a Ross near you go there. They have a bunch of dresses in our size and they are really cute and inexpensive. Our last cruise I bought a really nice formal type dress with lots of sparkle for only $29.99. Hubby and I looked really nice for our pictures! Good luck in your hunt and happy cruising!
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Check you local better department store, Easter clothing and spring dressy wedding outfits should be in soon if not already.
Chadwicks.com has some very nice dresses that go up to a size 16
Check your local bridal shop, sometimes they sell-off their inventory.
David's Bridal is a good choice, you can usually find something that isn't too bridesmaidyish or too mother-of-the-brideish.
Overstock.com or Ebay
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Passenger

thanks for all the advice i am looking today wish me luck
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife just called me while she was out shopping. She found a evening gown at Macy's (Columbus, OH) that was marked down from 175.00 to 60.00. Fit great and she said it was beautiful (I haven't seen it yet). Anyway, when she brought it up to pay for it, it rang up for 40.00. Now thats a bargain. We were going back and forth about whether or not to attend formal night becasue of the cost involved. Looks like that problem has been solved.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Admiral

great deal!
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Admiral

We shop at Dillard's when they are 50-75% off and then have a 50% off on top of that one!! Actually, when it comes to me buying for DF, price is no object.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Two comments:

1. On our cruise last spring, several people attended dinner on formal night without "formal" attire. A very wealthy couple sat at our table and the gentleman dressed in light colored slacks and a golf shirt, every night. While they were obviously very expensive clothes, they were not formal. I never saw him in a tie or jacket. They cruise several times a year, and are tired of formal nights. They simply want to be comfortable. His wife typically had nice slacks and blouse or basic spring dress. It did not take away from the fun of formal night for us. We all had a good time.
However, we cruised on Carnival. I am not sure how strict others are on formal night.

2. My husband purchased a tux at JC Penney (some of their stores carry the items, but they also have them online). It cost very close to the same price as renting one. It looks at least as nice as the ship rented tux. I took several dresses that I had in my closet from formal business dinners. However, last year I had gained a few pounds and didn't want anything too snug. Penney's and Kaufmann's have great separates that are very nice for formal night. I purchased a beautiful long, black skirt, and two different sparkly tops. The skirt has elastic waist (which you'll appreciate after all the food on a cruise), and the tops made it a completely different outfit.

Don't stress too much. Find something within your budget that makes you happy.

Have a great cruise!
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Beginner

How about just a pair of black (or white) pants depending on time/place of cruise and two dressy tops.

Don't hyperventilate over the dress. Unless you REALLY can use two formal dresses, don't bother. It's amazing what some people consider as formal. For another thing, unless your dress is quite unusual, nobody but you and your travel companion will know that you've worn the dress onthe first formal night.

travelin'terry
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Admiral

TerryR,

How about just a pair of black (or white) pants depending on time/place of cruise and two dressy tops.

That type of outfit probably would be acceptable for formal nights on some cruise lines, like Carnival Cruises, from what I understand, but it definitely would not pass muster on others, incluiding Celebrity Cruises. The best advice is to follow the guidelines published by the cruise line.

Norm.