Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Beginner

Default Anyone have a Chrysler Pacifica? Re; Luggage configuration.

Four of us moms and our four daughters are taking a 4 night cruise on the Paradise next month. One mother and her daughter are flying down the morning of the cruise. That leaves 6 of us driving the day before in a Chrysler Pacifica for 7 hours to L.A. I was just told by the gal who owns the car and is driving that we will be limited on what we can bring. Her car can hold only so much luggage. With all three seats down that leaves a very narrow space in the trunk are. She will have one of those plastic molded luggage carriers on top of her car. But she said it's better equipped to fit soft-sided duffels so they can be squeezed in easier. She said we can just bring one suitcase (except for something small at our feet, maybe.)

I'm hoping to bring a 22" roll-on soft-sided suitcase. However it also has a sturdy frame. Not a soft duffel. Does anyone know if I could put that in the narrow trunk area vertically? Also, would three garment bags drape over any luggage back there? I would bring a smaller duffel for misc. stuff. that I would put down near my feet. Gee, even for a 4 night cruise I usually check a 26" suitcase (in lieu of the 22".) AND, I carry a garment bag over my arm when I embark and a 20" roll-on duffel. Not this time, it looks like! But, then I didn't have 6 people in my car, either.

Soooo, I hope to take the 22" roll-on and not check it...as well as a small, shoulder duffel and a light garment bag for both my daughter's and my dresses.

If everyone else in the car were to carry a similar configuration, do you think we could fit it all in the Pacifica? I'm hoping others will be using a 21-22" duffel for the top carrier. I'm not sure if it will work if we all had the 22" roll-ons I hope to bring.

If this doesn't work, then I'll have to drive my car down, too. I hate to drive all that way just to transport luggage! I really would like to sit with the other 3 women for one thing. The ideal thing would be to have a driver for MY car to take our 3 girls and some of the luggage down! Then we 3 moms could have some peace and quiet and chat together. Too bad I didn't know someone who needs a way down to the San Pedro/Long Beach area and could come back 5 days later!

Let me know if anyone is familiar with the Pacifica! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Cruzan4Cruisin,

Four of us moms and our four daughters are taking a 4 night cruise on the Paradise next month. One mother and her daughter are flying down the morning of the cruise. That leaves 6 of us driving the day before in a Chrysler Pacifica for 7 hours to L.A. I was just told by the gal who owns the car and is driving that we will be limited on what we can bring. Her car can hold only so much luggage. With all three seats down that leaves a very narrow space in the trunk are. She will have one of those plastic molded luggage carriers on top of her car. But she said it's better equipped to fit soft-sided duffels so they can be squeezed in easier. She said we can just bring one suitcase (except for something small at our feet, maybe.)

<snip>

If this doesn't work, then I'll have to drive my car down, too. I hate to drive all that way just to transport luggage! I really would like to sit with the other 3 women for one thing. The ideal thing would be to have a driver for MY car to take our 3 girls and some of the luggage down! Then we 3 moms could have some peace and quiet and chat together. Too bad I didn't know someone who needs a way down to the San Pedro/Long Beach area and could come back 5 days later!

Let me know if anyone is familiar with the Pacifica! Thank you.

I don't see how you will be able to fit six people plus luggage for a cruise in a Chrysler Pacifica, even with a roof carrier. Your better option probably is to take two vehicles. Dropping the rear seat in the Pacifica would free up a lot of space for luggage.

Now, the best strategy may depend upon your vehicle. If your vehicle has a comforatable back seat, you could take the other two mothers in your vehicle and let the three daughters go in the Pacifica. If the back seat of your vehicle is cramped, it would be better to put four people inthe Pacifica and only two in your vehicle. Seven hours is too long to be crammed into a back seat that's too small.

Have a great trip, however you work it out!

Norm.
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Beginner

Hmmm...trouble is, our girls are 13 and 14. I refuse to let them drive!

Also, I drive a Honda Civic sedan...not the largest car. If I were to take my car, I would have my daughter and possibly her friends could ride part of the time. I'm not sure. I would rather not take two cars and have all of us ride together, sharing the gas.

Are you sure that 4 medium sized duffels couldn't fit into a Thule top carrier? I'm not positive what size it is, but my friend did suggest we bring a soft-sided duffel bag. Since I have my "22 in roll-ons, I figured I could stand them up in the remaining cargo space behind the 3rd row seats. I know we'll have our smaller bags at our feet, but wouldn't that work? I realize it's not the most ideal way to travel for several hours...but I'm just trying to save some money and wear and tear on my 10 year old Civic.

I'll check with the gal who owns the Pacifica and see what she says. If I have to drive my own car...so be it. Thank you for your suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Cruzan4Cruisin,

I don't see how you will be able to fit six people plus luggage for a cruise in a Chrysler Pacifica, even with a roof carrier. Your better option probably is to take two vehicles. Dropping the rear seat in the Pacifica would free up a lot of space for luggage.

Now, the best strategy may depend upon your vehicle. If your vehicle has a comforatable back seat, you could take the other two mothers in your vehicle and let the three daughters go in the Pacifica. If the back seat of your vehicle is cramped, it would be better to put four people inthe Pacifica and only two in your vehicle. Seven hours is too long to be crammed into a back seat that's too small.

Have a great trip, however you work it out!

Norm.
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Hi Cruzasn,

Does your friend with the Pacifica live close enough to do a trial run? That way you could see if everything (and everybody ) will fit.

Another idea would be to ship some of your luggage ahead. I have no idea how much this would cost, but it might work!

What? You don't let your 13 and 14 year old girls drive !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Cruzan4Cruisin,

That's good!

Also, I drive a Honda Civic sedan...not the largest car. If I were to take my car, I would have my daughter and possibly her friends could ride part of the time. I'm not sure. I would rather not take two cars and have all of us ride together, sharing the gas.

No, I think that I would recommend putting two adults in the Civic and the other four passengers in the Pacifica. That will give you the back seat as well as the trunk of the Civic and a much larger volume in the Pacifica for luggage. Realistically, I think that you will need most of it for the reasons explained below.

Are you sure that 4 medium sized duffels couldn't fit into a Thule top carrier?

No, but I'll be amazed if any of you manage to pack everything in a medium-sized duffel -- even for a four-night cruise.

The problem here is that there are certain things that take up space that you have to take on any cruise, regardless of its duration -- like your evening dresses to wear on the formal night, skirts or slacks to wear with your tops on casual nights, dress shoes, your cosmetic and toiletry kits, swimsuits and coverups (you pretty much need two when going to the tropics regardless of the length of the cruise), and a hat to wear in the sun, for example. These things generally don't get smaller or fewer in number when you are going for "just" four nights. I'm guessing that each of you will end up with two pieces of luggage when you actually pack. The "per day" items typically take only 25% of my two suitcases even when I'm packing enough changes of clothes for about seventeen or eighteen nights, which is about as long as I'll go without planning to do laundry. A shorter cruise just means a little more space that's available for souvenirs.

Also, do you really want to pack your formal dresses in duffel bags? That does not strike me as optimal.

I know we'll have our smaller bags at our feet, but wouldn't that work?

That might be tolerable for an hour or so, but you'll be pretty sore by the end of a seven-hour drive if you don't have room to stretch your legs and shift positions.

I realize it's not the most ideal way to travel for several hours...but I'm just trying to save some money and wear and tear on my 10 year old Civic.

Believe it or not, getting your Civic out on the highway and running it at speed for several hours would be the best thing that you could possibly do for it. Sustained highway driving gives the engine a chance to warm up completely so the lubricant circulates thoroughly, and it also gets good flow through the cylinders, valves, and exhaust system to clean out any soot (unburnded carbin) that might be building up in the engine. Indeed, it might prolong the life of the vehicle considerably.

Norm.
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Cruzan4Cruisin,

That's good!

No, I think that I would recommend putting two adults in the Civic and the other four passengers in the Pacifica. That will give you the back seat as well as the trunk of the Civic and a much larger volume in the Pacifica for luggage. Realistically, I think that you will need most of it for the reasons explained below.

That's a thought.

Are you sure that 4 medium sized duffels couldn't fit into a Thule top carrier?

No, but I'll be amazed if any of you manage to pack everything in a medium-sized duffel -- even for a four-night cruise.

The problem here is that there are certain things that take up space that you have to take on any cruise, regardless of its duration -- like your evening dresses to wear on the formal night, skirts or slacks to wear with your tops on casual nights, dress shoes, your cosmetic and toiletry kits, swimsuits and coverups (you pretty much need two when going to the tropics regardless of the length of the cruise), and a hat to wear in the sun, for example. These things generally don't get smaller or fewer in number when you are going for "just" four nights. I'm guessing that each of you will end up with two pieces of luggage when you actually pack. The "per day" items typically take only 25% of my two suitcases even when I'm packing enough changes of clothes for about seventeen or eighteen nights, which is about as long as I'll go without planning to do laundry. A shorter cruise just means a little more space that's available for souvenirs.

I had mentioned in my original post that we would also take 3 lightweight garment bags (one for each mom and daughter to share--1 dress each.)
The smaller duffel-at-our-feet would be for the miscellaneous non-clothing. It won't be in the tropics, so I doubt I'll even be swimming at this time of year. Southern CA and even Baja aren't as warm as the Mexican Riviera. I'll throw in one swim suit, though.

I know what you mean about bringing almost as much for a shorter cruise as I would a longer one. And, yes, I do usually end up with two fully packed pieces of luggage---about 22" each, plus the garment bag. I'm not going to bring "dress shoes", but rather a nice pair of sandals that can be worn both on formal night and other times, as well. And, they're going to be comfortable!

Also, do you really want to pack your formal dresses in duffel bags? That does not strike me as optimal.

See above re; garment bag.

I know we'll have our smaller bags at our feet, but wouldn't that work?

That might be tolerable for an hour or so, but you'll be pretty sore by the end of a seven-hour drive if you don't have room to stretch your legs and shift positions.

True enough. Sigh.

I realize it's not the most ideal way to travel for several hours...but I'm just trying to save some money and wear and tear on my 10 year old Civic.

Believe it or not, getting your Civic out on the highway and running it at speed for several hours would be the best thing that you could possibly do for it. Sustained highway driving gives the engine a chance to warm up completely so the lubricant circulates thoroughly, and it also gets good flow through the cylinders, valves, and exhaust system to clean out any soot (unburnded carbin) that might be building up in the engine. Indeed, it might prolong the life of the vehicle considerably.

You have a good point. Now I kind of wish I had taken the 4th woman up on it when she suggested I could drive her Toyota Rav and she would ride. She doesn't like to drive out of town. Trouble is, I'm not used to driving other adults (other than my family), especially in a car I'm not familiar with and in new towns. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to concentrate on my driving or something. Either way, she and her daughter decided to fly now.

I have to admit, though, I feel kind of lazy about driving this time. It just sounded good to be able to ride. We'll see!

Norm.
Old March 19th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Haven't read every response to this but thought I would throw my .02 in. We own a Pacifica and have three small boys. I can't imagine taking 6 people on a ride of any length in it. However, when we travel we have a canvas luggage topper that we attach to the top and put most of our luggage/bags up on top. I think the topper cost like 50.00 at a local department store.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Cruzan4Cruisin,

I had mentioned in my original post that we would also take 3 lightweight garment bags (one for each mom and daughter to share--1 dress each.)
The smaller duffel-at-our-feet would be for the miscellaneous non-clothing. It won't be in the tropics, so I doubt I'll even be swimming at this time of year. Southern CA and even Baja aren't as warm as the Mexican Riviera. I'll throw in one swim suit, though.

I know what you mean about bringing almost as much for a shorter cruise as I would a longer one. And, yes, I do usually end up with two fully packed pieces of luggage---about 22" each, plus the garment bag. I'm not going to bring "dress shoes", but rather a nice pair of sandals that can be worn both on formal night and other times, as well. And, they're going to be comfortable!

I don't know the specifics of your itinerary, so I'll let you decide what you need. Part of the Baja Peninsula actually is in the tropics, though. In any case, I think that my point -- that you'll be taking a fair amount of stuff -- is valid even if your list deviates slightly from my examples.

I would be more incluined to fold or roll the dresses and put them into duitcases of suitable size, as garment bags can be a nuisance during embarkation adn debarkation, but that's your call.

BTW, don't forget to include light jackets. It can be rather cool (60-ish) on deck during the first and last days at sea. Also, be sure to bring sweaters or shawls to wear in the dining room and the lounges on the formal night in case you end up sitting under an air conditioning vent.

JTOL, you might want to do a "trial pack" to see how much luggage you actually need, then multiply by six....

Norm.
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Admiral

it doesn't sound to promising. Have you thought about doing a rental in a mini-van? It might be economical when you split the cost.
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Beginner

Yeah, this will be my 8th cruise, and all but one have been down Mexico- way. And, the other one was in Alaska. I know all about those cool days and nights on the deck. And, in our case, since it's going to be early Spring, we won't be expecting the warmest weather even in the ports. I prefer going further south to the Mexican Riviera, but alas, it's not meant to be this time.

Well, I have a little less than 3 weeks to decide how we're going to make the drive. I'll check out my friend's car and see if it looks like it would be feasible to get us all in there...and our luggage. I thought maybe we could just make it work and have a good ol' time all riding together, rather than having to take two cars with today's gas prices...all because we need a way to transport our luggage. I usually overpack, anyway.

Quote:
Cruzan4Cruisin,

I don't know the specifics of your itinerary, so I'll let you decide what you need. Part of the Baja Peninsula actually is in the tropics, though. In any case, I think that my point -- that you'll be taking a fair amount of stuff -- is valid even if your list deviates slightly from my examples.

I would be more incluined to fold or roll the dresses and put them into duitcases of suitable size, as garment bags can be a nuisance during embarkation adn debarkation, but that's your call.

BTW, don't forget to include light jackets. It can be rather cool (60-ish) on deck during the first and last days at sea. Also, be sure to bring sweaters or shawls to wear in the dining room and the lounges on the formal night in case you end up sitting under an air conditioning vent.

JTOL, you might want to do a "trial pack" to see how much luggage you actually need, then multiply by six....

Norm.
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:07 AM
Admiral

i must give you credit for even thinking about making a 7 hour drive!! Yuck. Do you have the option of taking a train or motor coach?. Have you weighed out flying? between gas, tolls, parking, wear & tear on your vehicle it might be worth it to fly.
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Beginner

No tolls. Free parking at the hotel for duration of cruise. Free shuttle to and from the terminal. Flying is more expensive, actually. We'll split the gas 3 ways. Her car is less than 2 years old, so it should be able to handle the drive nicely. It's a touring car, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
i must give you credit for even thinking about making a 7 hour drive!! Yuck. Do you have the option of taking a train or motor coach?. Have you weighed out flying? between gas, tolls, parking, wear & tear on your vehicle it might be worth it to fly.
Old April 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Admiral

We have a Pacifica as well and the problem is all six seats are singles - no benches. That means room taken up by a console between all the seats. Don't think it will fit but let us know how you make out. we were packed tightly with just the two of us and all the luggage - had to have the back two seats flat.

ttfn Jennifer
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Pacifica Travel

We too are driving 400 miles to board our next cruise. Our minivan has high mileage and we just rented a Chrysler Pacifica while it was in the shop. We decided to rent the Pacifica again for the 400 mile drive to our next cruise. There will be 4 adults and we will lay the back seat down. We sat in the 2nd row of seats and were quite comfortable. We did a trial run with luggage. We placed 2 29-30 inch suitcases in the back and had room for 2 more smaller cases and 2 garment bags. With the 3rd seat up, I could probably get only 1 of the 29-30 inch suitcases in. Even our minivan which seats 4 captain chairs and a bench seat for 3 would not hold the luggage you would need for 6 people. You will definately need a roof carrier or rent a large van or take 2 vehicles.