Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Beginner

Default What to Pack for a Transatlantic Crossing in Late April?

Folks...please entertain the following question from a cruise ship neophyte (though I did once have the pleasure of spending a night aboard the Queen Mary 2). My wife and I plan to cross the Atlantic eastbound in late April/early May on a cruise that will also call at Madeira, Nice, Barcelona and (I believe) one Italian port.
I have no idea what the weather is like on the high seas at that time of year, but if I had to hazard a guess, it would be: windy and cold, especially for those of us who live in South Florida. I would appreciate any advice that more experienced cruisers might be able to offer on what sort of clothing to pack for the Atlantic and Med at that tiime of year. Bulky sweaters and parkas (and maybe long johns) to keep out the chill during the morning constitutional on deck? Watch caps? Anything else? (Ladies, I'd be especially grateful for any guidance you could provide my wife).
Thank you for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Admiral

(Tongue in cheek) all you can carry!!!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Beginner

Unless the new ice-age has begun in the Americas without us noticing such, it is fairly warm off of the North American eastern coast in late-April and early-May as you travel the north Atlantic crossing route. To make it even warmer, your route is nearly a southern crossing, as it heard towards Gibraltar. No one on board will have a parka or thermal underwear. Take a jumper/sweater for early mornings, and some light rain gear (not a brolly). This is not a cold-weather crossing: it is a mild-weather to hot-weather crossing. My wife wears a sports coat for deck outings and has never needed more on trans-Atlantic northern corssings at this time of year.
Old April 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Beginner

John: Since we'll be sailing on 4/15, Galveston-Rome, I had the same question. Princess Cruises Answer Book tells me the Hi/Lo temps to expect in April are 73/55 and in May79/61. These sound pretty good to me. Enjoy yourselves! - jwd136