Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Default Ladies: Alaska and Celebrity

We are thinking of doing Alaska with Celebrity - for those that have done this run - how formal is formal night. DH has worn his dark blazer and grey flannels on other lines - and I usually opt for silky, sequined pant suits. I have severe back problems and dresses and I just aren't a good match (don't ask lol)....

Will this work on Celebrity to Alaska - I have read the cruise lines suggestions but, having cruised several times before - I know just how they are NOT followed.

I posted this under Cruise LInes as well - so if you have already answered me over there I have read it, and I apprecaited your input.

Thanks for any info

TTFN Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2006, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jen,
My only Alaska cruise was on Celebrity Infinity and I fould the formal night to be just as formal as any other cruise. You can still wear a "formal" pants suit of some kind, men wore dark suits or tux's.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Jennifer,

We are thinking of doing Alaska with Celebrity - for those that have done this run - how formal is formal night. DH has worn his dark blazer and grey flannels on other lines - and I usually opt for silky, sequined pant suits. I have severe back problems and dresses and I just aren't a good match (don't ask lol)....

Will this work on Celebrity to Alaska - I have read the cruise lines suggestions but, having cruised several times before - I know just how they are NOT followed.

You are right about passengers not always following dress guidelines -- but Celebrity draws a decidedly more upscale roster of passengers than most other lines, with the consequence that the "not following" tends to go the other way. On formal nights, over 95% of the gentlemen seem to wear either the tuxedo or other "dinner jacket" ("black tie") outfit or a dark suit and nearly all of the ladies wear either a cocktail dress or a full length gown. On Celebrity's "casual" and "informal" evenings, the "suggeted" dress is pretty much the minimum and there's no such thing as "overdressed" -- even in Alaska.

Norm.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:35 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

We did Mercury to Alaska May/June 2004.I think the dress was a tad bit more formal that most other cruises Ive been on,but not so much formal night as in most ppl dressed a little more every night.I wore my usual on formal nights..long black dress which I have several different type jackets that go with it,and then dressy,black fly away pants with several sparkly tops.Another pair of dressy black pants and any kind of glitzy top.

So far,one of the best cruises Ive been on! Enjoy!
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Admiral

as the others have told you Celebrity is a bit more upscale than the other mass-market cruise lines. The vast majority of men will be wearing dark suits or a tuxedo. Flannels and a blazer would be consider semi-formal on Celebrity. If he could find a pair of dress pants to match his blazer and make a suit out of it that would be the best option. Your outfits are just perfect for formal nights.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Admiral

PS- consider renting a tux for the entire cruise. A basic tuxedo rental will run around $85-100 depending upon how you accessorize it, and its one less thing that you would have to pack.
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Passenger

What do people generally wear in the daytime on the ship for an Alaskan cruise.....and do they wear the same on ship as they do when they go ashore? Formal seems easy enough but my delimma is the daytime attire?
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Admiral

DirtDobber,

What do people generally wear in the daytime on the ship for an Alaskan cruise.....and do they wear the same on ship as they do when they go ashore? Formal seems easy enough but my delimma is the daytime attire?

Daytime attire is always casual. In the Caribbean, most gents would wear shorts, a polo shirt or sport shirt, and sandals or moccasins while laides would wear a top or leotard, skirt or shorts, and similar footwear during the day. In Alaska's inside passage, slacks would be a better choice than shorts and you probably would want shoes rather than sandals because the weather tends to be much cooler.

I recommend reserving jeans andd other denim garments for shore excursions that would mess up other clothing. On Celebrity, jeans are not allowed in the dining room at any time -- even at lunch.

Norm.