Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Any suitcase size limits on ships themselves?

I have my first cruise next month and I got one of those old-fashioned large suitcases without the frills-no built-in wheels. Do the cruiselines themselves have limits on the dimensions? I'm boarding the ship in my home city so I don't need to get on a plane.

Also, I've heard on the last night of the cruise luggage is placed out in the hallways, isn't this an open invite to thieves? I have a smaller toiletry case that locks but its so light even a 5 year old could walk off with it.
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to GYMNASTQUEENVAL

No size limit or quanity limit. And yes you do place your luuggage in the halls the night before. I have never had a thief problem doing it that way, it is an invite for thieves and that is why you should pack your valuables in a carry on that will be with you! The halls have a great deal of traffice at all times, and most cruisers are not low life people looking to steal. I'm sure if i saw someone going in luggage by a cabin door the nite we put it out, i would question them as to see if the luggage belonged to them, and hope someone would do the same for me. Unless you plan on stealing small items, i wouldnt know how the thief would get it off the ship. We all put our luggage outside and unless the thief holds back their luggage to fit the stolen items in, they will have a lot to carry off the ship!
Crown Princess 8/10-8/19/07
Crown Princess 8/19-8/28/07
Freedom 10/7-10/14/07
Explorer 6/5-14/08
Mariner 8/17-24/08
Liberty 10/11-18/08

Future Cruise's
Adventure 06/07/09-06/21/09
Old April 2nd, 2006, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Hi seattleguy37,

As GQueen said there's no limit to the size of checked luggage. Carry on luggage must fit through the ship's scanner. If it fits through an airport scanner, it will be okay on the ship.

Also, as GQeen said, always carry your meds, cameras, jewelry, a change of clothing and a swimsuit (anything you'd be VERY unhappy to lose!) in a carry on. Carry this off with you, too.

I've never heard of luggage "disappearing" from the hallways. You can also lock your luggage. We always lock the main compartment and use cable ties to "lock" the pockets.

Unless your "old-fashioned" suitcase is one of those who can survive a gorilla throwing it around (Samsonite, wasn't it?), I'd also suggest you invest in a large piece of soft-sided luggage. We've watched luggage being loaded and unloaded and the longshoremen are NOT kind to it!

If you want to use your hard sided luggage, at least buy some luggage straps so if your luggage is broken your stuff won't be all over the place !

(Don't forget to leave out an outfit for debarkation day! I've seen people in their robes collecting their luggage .)

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old April 3rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
Admiral

seattleguy37,

I have my first cruise next month and I got one of those old-fashioned large suitcases without the frills-no built-in wheels. Do the cruiselines themselves have limits on the dimensions? I'm boarding the ship in my home city so I don't need to get on a plane.

The tradition is steamer trunks, so there are no limits on either size or weight.

Also, I've heard on the last night of the cruise luggage is placed out in the hallways, isn't this an open invite to thieves? I have a smaller toiletry case that locks but its so light even a 5 year old could walk off with it.

There's not much of a theft problem aboard ship.

Since the large luggage does go out on the last night of the cruise for offloading, you'll need an overnight bag that you can carry when you leave the ship. Your toiletry case should go into the overnight bag since you will want it when you arise on disembarkation day.

Norm.
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Beginner

Default Suitcase Sizes

We have been on several Cruises (Never Enough) and have found that one thing that makes a small cabin seem smaller is luggage sitting around. We now only take luggage that is less than 12" thick so it will lay flat and slide under the beds. We even take a set with three sizes so they can go inside each other and then under the bed.
Old April 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Seattleguy, you should buy a soft sided large case with wheels. the wheels make it so much easier! It is not unusual at embarkation or disembarkation to have to roll your luggage 150 yards or so by the time all is said and done.

It is fairly important to have a case small enough to fit under the bed, otherwise you have to put up with it in your room the entire cruise. this is no problem because they will accommodate some pretty large suitcases. The thickness is what counts here. I just measured our big ones and they are 12 inches and they fit fine. When you unpack you put your carry on in the big one and roll it under the bed and forget it until it time to pack up to leave. The beds are specifically designed for this purpose.

No one will steal you suitcase in the hall. Don't worry about that. But have all your valuables, iPod, CD player, medicines, cameras etc in your carry-on that you keep with you at all times and do not put out in the hall.
I did hear about a guy once who put a case of liquor out in the hall and was surprised when it disappeared

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 6th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Beginner

I have been on on Princess and Royal Caribbean and do not recall ever seeing anything about limits on the sizes of suitcases - It's only the air line that have the limits - but your crusise doucuments should tell you this or visit their web site and contact them thru there.

I have only been on 2 Cruises. On two of them I left my luggage out over night - there was not a problem. The last one in Feb Royal Caribbean has a new perk. You can elect to walk off with you luggage if you wish. This was a great thing. I find trying to find your luggage in the port is a hasle.

Enjoy yourself. It is the most wonderful vacation. Since going three yeares ago for the first time - I don't want to do anything else
Old April 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Doing the self debarkation allows you to keep the luggage in your room until you are leaving the ship.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.