Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Default Great Stuff To Pack

I've asked the newsletter subscribers to tell us what they always pack on a cruise. I won't leave home without Game Boy (for long airport lines), a magnifying make-up mirror and framed photo of my dog. We'd love your packing tips too!
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Extra batteries and charger for your camcorder. Nothing sucks as bad as getting to that once in a lifetime spot and having the battery start to blink indicating you have a bout 30 seconds to go

And wouldn't it be nice if there could be a standardized charger instead of one for the camcorder, one for the still camera, one for your razor, one for your iPod, etc, etc.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Beginner

ALWAYS bring a small flashlight. During an emergency there may be no power in your cabin. The emergency lights in the hallway may not work. Also the lights may be up at the ceiling which will be no help if there is smoke.

I always bring a small wind-up alarm clock. It is loud. Do not have to worry about batteries going dead. Do not have to worry about a wake-up call not getting to you.

Happy cruisin'

Paul
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

sleep mask and ear plugs - there is nothuing better than a nap ona cruise ship, and its even better if the reggae band doesn't wake you up - or your partner for that matter.

Ear plugs!! I love 'em, I swear by them.
Old April 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jerzigal

Binder clips are great to clip draperies together to keep the early morning sun out. We take all different sizes from the smallest to the largest. We also use them to reclose any snacks we might have.

~~~~~~~Judi in Hamilton NJ~~~~~~~
Wishing You Blue Skies & Calm Seas
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Beginner

Re what to pack--you're right, Ann. A pic of your dog wouldn't be high on MY list. Although I'm sure she's cute.

I have found a yellow highlighter to be very useful for: marking the activities on the daily schedule that interest me; marking places on a map at a port so little time is spent searching for that special museum (or whatver); marking a hotel location when I'm staying on land for a few days; shuttle location for a ride ack to the ship, etc.
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Beginner

Two things I've found make cruising easier.

1. Mark all your bags with something colorful and all the same! When you get back to port and there are about a million bags that all look alike, having a scarf, bandanna, or strip of bright material on each of them makes them much easier to find.

2. Bring a sweater or light jacket. Many of the large rooms can be quite chilly. Granted, I'm cold natured, but even my husband has complained of the cool temperatures at times.
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Captain

Extention cord or plug. Only one outlet in every cabin I've ever been on. Not enough!! I also love to bring an over the door shoe organizer, (clear) it is great to hang and organize supplies, games, sunscreen, belts, snacks. You don't have to go digging through the few drawers offered.
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Aloe Burn Gel - i can't tell you how many times family and friends were looking for some relief. I keep it chilled in the stateroom fridge. Its so aaah on a hot sunburn.
other Essentials:Pen, small sewing kit, first aid items(bandaids,antiseptic wipes, neosporin, anti-itch cream), SUNSCREEN, Rolaids or Tums just in case you might overindulge(not that that could possibly happen )
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Beginner

A european power converter! There are so few plugs on a ship that we need the Euro ones, that the ship has, too!

We also bring an alarm clock that I know how to set, that also has a temperature display. Many Ships have adjustable thermostats or the thermostats are plain wrong! This tell us if there is a problem. Did you know that some cruise lines make the temp warmer in a room for European cruises if they are going to have a high number of Europeans onboard?

We also take a first aid kit, yellow highlighter and an extension cord for illegal items like a clothes irons & curling irons!
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Beginner

I have a net pop-up hamper from the $ store that I sit in the floor of the closet. My dirty clothes can "air" dry a bit before stuffing them into a plastic bag to carry home. Takes almost no space in suitcase or closet. I also carry post-it-notes, peel-off address labels, and OTC medicines such as Advil, Pepto-Bismol, Imodium, Robitussin, and neosporin. I carry a magnifying mirror and a couple of those large kraft envelopes. I put all my "paper" souveniors such as the Daily Compass, Ice Skating tickets and tour tickets, cruise photos, etc..that way I don't lose anything and I have everything together. I always carry a small hanging bag that organizes my toiletries for the bathroom. I carry a few empty zip lock bags in various sizes for the return trip. I carry my jewelry in zip lock baggies (snack size inside a larger one); and I put my shoes in the large zip locks. Even men's shoes fit the 2 gal zip locks. That way I can put the shoes that go with the outfits into the same suitcase in case one gets lost.
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Beginner

We always pack on over-the-door shoe hanger. With all of the pockets, we not only keep the shoes neat and off the floor, but we have extra pockets for toiletries, etc.
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
And wouldn't it be nice if there could be a standardized charger instead of one for the camcorder, one for the still camera, one for your razor, one for your iPod, etc, etc.
I have found one thing, I can use the same AC connection to all my various rechargers. I plug in my laptop while I'm using it, then when I'm done I pull the AC cord and plug it into my camera power pack. They are all a standard firgure 8 plug.
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

All the above, and very important -- a small backpack. We use it to haul books and towels to the pool, and in port to bring goodies back with us (and to hold the camera and wallets, etc)

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Admiral

A little plug in night light for the john can be handy, especially for guys over 55, if you get my drift.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Beginner

We always take a small fold up alarm clock that has a lighted lcd screen (upon touching) that you can put next to your bed to see what time it is during the night and also a pen with a light in it to use if you need to get up during the night. Some rooms don't have outlets in the bathrooms and you can't always plug in a night light.
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Beginner

Vacation/travel items I never leave home without:
seat protectors for airports, restaurants or any public bathroom
shoe insoles - nothing will ruin a vacation more than sore feet
air freshener
sewing kit
pain relievers, immodium (you never know)
moist towelettes/antiseptic wipes
Old April 4th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I always pack plastic bags of different sizes; large for documents and guides down to zip lock sandwich bags when I'm not sure where we'll be at lunch time and want to take along a sandwich. Sometimes on tour we don't stop until after 1PM. A dual voltage hair dryer is good to quickly dry wet socks or other items where dryers might not be available.
Old April 4th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I always bring a hole punch and a lanyard so I can "wear" my room card/key around my neck.....comes in handy if what you are wearing doesn't have pockets!
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Passenger

Default things I pack

I like to pack a power strip. There's usually only one outlet byt he vanity! My husband and I have this down to a science now--I take a shower first and while he's showering, I plug my blow dryer (if the ship doesn't have one) and my straigtener and my Ipod in the power strip and I'm go to go. I also take Post-its becuase we travel in a group--it's a good way to let your friends know where you are!
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I always take along a whip and a unicycle.

Seriously.. if you haven't clicked "close" already Duct Tape!!

Good for everything from keeping drapes closed to fixing luggage and repairing an endless list of things.
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Beginner

Having learned new items to pack with each trip, I now NEVER leave for a cruise without a power strip. Most cruise ships don't have enough outlets for a hair dryer, phone charger, laptop charger and razor, so I bring along a small size multi plug unit. I also always keep several bandaids, an emery board, polish remover pads and a nail repair kit in my luggage so they are always available, wherever I travel.
Old April 4th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Beginner

I always carry bag clips to attach to the bottom of the shower curtain. Helps keep it from wrapping around your body.

Dorothy
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Some small gifts for people who I may bump into.
Took a new"Captain Morgan" T-Shirt for the Captain this time.
When I could get them a few 60 minute phone cards.
A deck of cards - as we play a continuous game of 500 rummy on the trip.
Burger King crowns for the people on the cruise staff - for the kids.

And as always a sense of humor.
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Beginner

We never leave home with out duct tape! Comes in very handy for a lot of different things - from holes in your luggage to hiding your credit card.
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Beginner

Some great ideas. We too bring a power strip, over the door shoe organizer, a mesh laundry bag for dirty clothes, also the spray lysol for my germ affobic husband. I also like to have clothes pins for many uses, binoculars , and extra film and camera batteries.
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky
We never leave home with out duct tape! Comes in very handy for a lot of different things - from holes in your luggage to hiding your credit card.
Hiding your credit card?????!!!!!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky
I have found really small rolls of duct tape that are perfect to keep in my suitcase. I think they have about 5 yards, but unless I want to bind a person, I think that is probably enough for a trip. Also, a tube of super glue is handy to have along.
Old April 6th, 2006, 11:47 AM
First Mate

Indiglo nightlight - Pretty handy, small, and makes getting around in the dark easier. Indespensable.

Small power strip/extension cord - Its usefulness has already been covered.

Alarm clock - Travel ones dont light up and I dont trust wakeup calls.

Mesh laundry bag - Hung from the door or rod in the closet it makes a nice place to throw dirty clothes.

Highlighters (yellow and blue)- Handy for the daily planner.

Small backpack - For going on shore it cant be beat.

Packit folders - Im a complete convert. I went and bought extra when an online camping retailer had them at over 50% off list.

Insulated travel mug - For my smuggled beverages that I enjoy on my balcony.

Ziploc bags - lots of uses.

A small duffle bag - Throw dirty clothes in this to free up space in regular luggage for purchased goodies on the way home.

This is pretty much the must have list.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old April 6th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Beginner

On a lot of cruise ships, you need your credit card to lock the safe. Then what do you do with it? We don't like to carry it around so we tape it somewhere inconspicuous.