Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Beginner

Default MEN....HOW DO YOU PACK YOUR SUITS/TUX?

im going on my first cruise in July, I'm just wondering how you guys pack your suits?
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to timh111
Default That's an EASY one...

I pack my suits in a foldable, rolling Garment bag. If the suits come out a little wrinkled, you can touch them up yourself (bring your own travel iron) or send them to the ships dry cleaners which is usually inexpensive
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I just leave them in the dry cleaning bags they come back from the cleaners in. Amazing how wrinkle free they stay.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to swannyb

I use a folding garment bag that I purchased from Target.com. It works great, is easy to carry and keeps my suits in great shape.
- Majesty of the Seas, Mar 2004
- Grandeur of the Seas, Mar 2006

NCL Cruises Sailed
- Norwegian Sea, Apr 2000
- S.S. Norway, Dec 2000
Old April 4th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Admiral

The last few cruises DH just brings his suit in a laundry bag in our carry on and as soon as we get to our cabin we turn it in for dry cleaning or pressing and it always comes back looking great and in time for our first formal night.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Admiral

mjs2789,

I'm just wondering how you guys pack your suits?

Very carefully. :-)

Seriously, I pack them in the top (suit) section of a 26" "roller back" two-suiter -- but I remove the innards when doing so, then open the section and lay the jacket neatly across the middle with, buttons down and and aligned with the button holes, the collar on the lid and the lower half in the suit compartment. Next, I place the trowsers across the tail with the legs folded in half so the cuffs are on top of the wast. I next lay the cumerbunds, vest, matching ties, and cufflink and stud sets on top of the trowsers, then place the shirts on top of the rest with the collars at the open edge. Finally, fold the top of the jacket back onto the shirts. You can pack a sport coat and dress slacks or another suit on top of the first in the same way. By placing everhting else in the horizontal fold of the jacket, one provides enough thickness of separation so the fold in the jacket cannot form a creae.

Norm.
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Passenger

Default men packing their suits huh

If I could get my husband to pack that would be amazing!!!

Carnival Holiday Eastern Caribbean Feb 1986
Carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean Nov 2005
Carnival Holiday Mexican Riviera April 2006
Princess Sun Princess Alaska May 2007
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Admiral

i hang the pants, shirt & jacket put the dry cleaners bag over it, and hang it in the folding garment bag. Unpack it as soon as it arrives in your cabin. Have only had to lightly touch-up the shirt with the iron that the ship had in the self-serve laundry.
Old April 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Admiral

I don't. My wife, who is skilled at that sort of thing does it. We use a large suitcase for the formal clothes. Still, it usually, but not always, requires a trip to the ship cleaners for steam pressing to get the wrinkles out.
By the way, I'm thinking of retiring my Tux. altogether. Last 2 cruises one Princess one Holland America, I'd say the dark business suits outnumbered the tuxes 65-35. A reversal from 10 years ago.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Admiral

I always hung my tux, shirts and pants in a garment bag.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Beginner

If your suit or dinner jacket is wool (most likely), then you needn't worry too much about wrinkles. Wool is very forgiving and if you hang it in the steamy bathroom (hot shower running, obviously), most packing wrinkles will be long gone in moments.

I use a garment bag, but I also don't have to fly to the cruise port, so I can pack any way I like. A folding garment bag works great.

There is also a proper way to pack a jacket and trousers in a suitcase, if you need to do that. I'm sure you can find some pictures on some packing website. This works well as well.

In any case, remember the shower steam trick. Most of the time there is no need to pack an iron, or use the ship's pressing, for a wool suit.

Andre
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't. I just rented one form the cruise line. That way I didn't have to deal with it.
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Passenger

I use a suitcase that has a rack type device designed to fold a suit & trousers in it. Its better then nothing; however, if it (Mess Dress) gets to many wrinkles, its off to the ship's cleaners, for a steam press, seldom have I had to do this though.

Its sort of a pain, with the military mess dress as one has to remove all the ribbons, badges and even the metal clip on buttons before sending it out .

De Oppresso Liber - RLTW
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

When it comes back from the cleaners you just keep it in the dry cleaner bag and put it in the garment bag and make sure you fold the arms of the shirts and jacket neatly in and then fold the lower panel up and that's all there is to it.

By keeping everything in dry cleaning bags, including shirts, you keep a slippery surface between the clothing that hinders it from wrinkling. It works very well.

I also advocate a good garment bag, such as a Samsonite Silhouette or Hartman, if you have a high budget. I find that they seem to handle suits and gowns better than most suiter suitcases.

Then again I lived out of one for a number of years.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me