Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Aussie
Default Dinner assignments

Can anyone help with the following:

1. What is the first seating time for Liberty's Mediterranean cruise? I have been told three different first seating times.

2. How do you get a table with a view? Is it just luck?

Love to read all the postings, I have learnt so much from reading them. I keep a pen and notepad beside the computer and jot down all the great advice.

88 days till we leave on Liberty's 12 day Mediterranean cruise
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

First seating, when we did the Liberty transaltantic crossing last Nov, was 5:45.

Seating is rather the luck of the draw, but if you're not pleased with it, see the dining room Maitre D. If possible, they'll try and move you to make you happy.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Admiral

The worst seating assignment I ever had ws on the Grand Princess. My group was placed against the window but it was dark each time and the drapes were drawn.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 10th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Aussie,

2. How do you get a table with a view? Is it just luck?

Yes, but don't worry too much about the view. It will mostly be dark when you are at dinner, anyway.

Norm.
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Passenger

Default thanks

Thanks for the information. We'll just go with the flow
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Aussie, do you really want the first seating? On a nice cruise in the Med like yours, you may well have a long excursion that makes it very difficult to get back to the ship, get showered, dressed and to the dining room in time. That's one reason we always request late seating. Gives us lots of time to clean up, have a drink and relax before dinner! Obviously it's a matter of individual preference but an awful lot of people feel the same way we do. Just food for thought.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm with you RICHSTACY! Late seating give you an opprotunity to relax. When we have had early seating as soon as we were finished with lunch we only had about 2 hours before getting ready for dinner. We felt very rush and always on a time crunch! We always request late seating.
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the input. I think we will change our seating time to a later one. This board is great .........you get good advice and suggestions that perhaps you didn't think of. We have booked a shore excusion that doesn't get back until 5.15 pm which really doesn't give us much time to get ready for dinner.
Thanks again for the advice.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to fgrandma7 Send a message via MSN to fgrandma7 Send a message via Yahoo to fgrandma7

We have found the main or early seating the best as our food seems to go down better than waiting till late. Most of the cruises allow you to eat late if you are on a tour. bonnie : -P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie
Thanks for the input. I think we will change our seating time to a later one. This board is great .........you get good advice and suggestions that perhaps you didn't think of. We have booked a shore excusion that doesn't get back until 5.15 pm which really doesn't give us much time to get ready for dinner.
Thanks again for the advice.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Admiral

When we went to Alaska...we had the early sitting and hated it because we had to rush to get back to the ship...dress etc. AND we missed taking all those great pictures as we were leaving Port.

But on a cruise to Mexico...which we have done several times...the early dinner sitting was fine..

SOooooo...for us, I guess it depends on our cruise itineary which is better.
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Fieldmouse,
I have always loved your name, but the pic you just added is priceless! I LOVE it!
Marty
Old October 9th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The bad part of having a table by window is that it's almost always dark outside and you end up seeing your own reflection. Unless you're a narcissist it isn't that big of a deal.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Fieldmouse,
I have always loved your name, but the pic you just added is priceless! I LOVE it!
Marty
THANK YOU! Mike from CM helped put it up....I couldn't figure out how to do it! Thanks again Mike!

Which brings up the window seating. We had a lovely lovely table by the window...beautiful view...BUT the sun would shine on the other tables blinding that tables guests...so the waiters would ALWAYS close the shades. NO VIEW!

So Mike is right...it's either always dark outside OR they close the shades because the sun is shinning in another persons face...so we just don't make it a big deal anymore...(as long as we're not right next to the dirty dishes )
Old November 19th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Familiar Face

When we sailed last summer to Alaska, we requested early seating and were assigned late seating. We tried to change it but there was no availability.

When we got on the ship, we went to see our seating assignment in the Dining Room, it was all the way in the back right in the middle by the kitchen. We asked if they could change us and they were so nice, said "No Problem" and proceeded to move us all the way to the front by the waiters station next to a wall. Not better seating, but I wasn't about to complain. Neither table was desirable.

We ended up eating in the buffet on 3 of the 7 nights on the ship. The dining room and the buffet had basically the same food, but in the buffet we could eat when we wanted and sit by a window. It was just as nice, nicer in fact.

On my next cruise, I don't think I'll worry about the dining room much at all. We'll eat in the restaurants, (Like Chops or Portofino's) and the buffet. Probably skipping the dining room all together!

BTW, in Alaska, the sun was still up for late dining and the view in from the buffet was wonderful! I loved watching the water go by, even on our sea days when we weren't in the Inside Passage.

Alaska NB - RCI Radiance of the Seas - August 06