Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Passenger

Default KAMEEZ SARI for formal night

I am considering wearing a 3 pc. Kameez Salwar Sari on formal night (mine is silk fabric w-beautiful embroidery) the "top" goes below my knee but it does have the matching pants and wasn't sure that it would be formal enough.... we are on the coral princess 5 day west coast San Francisco to Vancouver BC.
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Admiral

cruznagain,

am considering wearing a 3 pc. Kameez Sari on formal night (mine is silk fabric w-beautiful embroidery) the "top" goes below my knee but it does have the matching pants and wasn't sure that it would be formal enough.... we are on the coral princess 5 day west coast San Francisco to Vancouver BC.

If it's embroidered silk, it probably wuold be appropriate. The major cruise lines write their dress codes to North American culture, but equivalent attire of other cultures is certainly equally appropriate.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Hi cruznagain,

I agree with Norm!

I think your Kameez Sari would be wonderful for formal night on Princess! It will definitely be formal enough.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Admiral

If it is considered formal wear in its county of origin then it will be fine, especially since it is silk. Do you have a picture? would love to see it.
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Default picture

not sure how to post pictures here if you can tell me how I'll post it
Old April 12th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Passenger

well i went to the website that I purchased my outfit from. You can go there and see my outfit. go to www.churidhar.com click on salwars then click on silks ID 1104 what do you think?
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Admiral

cruznagain,

well i went to the website that I purchased my outfit from. You can go there and see my outfit. go to www.churidhar.com click on salwars then click on silks ID 1104 what do you think?

To be totally honest, the pants make the model's legs look as big as telephone poles in the photo and the dress clearly is long enough to be proper formalwear without the pants. If you want something to cover your legs, consider wearing stockings instead of the pants.

Norm.
Old April 12th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Passenger

unfortunatly you can't tell really well by the picture but the slits on the sides of the kameez (top) are WAY too high up for stockings. I could probably buy a narrow legged salwar (Pants)that matched at the local india import store.
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Admiral

cruznagain,

unfortunatly you can't tell really well by the picture but the slits on the sides of the kameez (top) are WAY too high up for stockings.

Eeewww. How about either "sheer to waist" pantyhose or tights?

I could probably buy a narrow legged salwar (Pants)that matched at the local india import store.

That also might work, but it would be much more expensive than a couple pairs of L'Eggs....

Norm.
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Admiral

very pretty, love the blue. If you could find a pair of blue pants to match that would be gorgeous, would give it the look on an ensemble.
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Admiral

I think it looks great - is it real silk? If it is it must feel wonderful. Go for it. I loved the bright pink one - hmm - wonder how that would look on this old gal lol.

Have a great time.

TTFN Jennifer
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Passenger

Thanks Jennifer. Yes the outfit is silk. I think a kameez and salwar are a great addition to anyones closet!! Be brave and buy one. You'll NOT be sorry
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

wow, maybe I will get a sari as well, how gorgeous they are!! Maybe they could have sari night and we could all wear beautiful silk. I think I would need help wrapping it though, I wouldn't want any wardrobe malfunctions, especially when people are trying to eat.
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruznagain
It's very nice and I like the contrast between the sari and the salwar. You wouldn't want to try to match the colours anyway, because the colours may look fine in daylight and obvious unmatched under other lighting.
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:15 AM
Passenger

Hi there, I took salwar kameez outfits and sarees to my last cruise. They are very nice and comfortable and to my opinion very elegant. I rceived a lot of compliments about my different look. I wear indian clothing most of the time as most of the outfit are very flattering and a saree is the ultimate one size fits all.

yelapa
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM
Passenger

I totally agree yelapa! I have both formal and casual saris and kameez salwars they are sooo comfortable. They are flattering on both full figures and slim ones. cozzette1 if you do get a sari no worries about "losing" the skirtit You will have a sari petticoat slip on under the flowing fabric. If you choose to purchase one think about going to a india import store that has women salesladies.. Learn how to "wrap" your sari from them and many stores will also give you written instructions as well. As far as a Kameez W/salwar. The kameez is the dress/top and the salwar are the pants. So no worries about how to wear them! GOODLUCK and enjoy
Old April 24th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Passenger

Wow! next thing you know Indian Fashions will become the rage onboard! In regard to the salwar kameez, I have bought a few that are beautifully embroidered and look absolutely stunning. I have worn gold sandals and gold jewelry and the look is very dressy. As for wearing my sarees, when I buy the fabric at my favorite Indian store I buy a lining fabric and I sew it inside the skirt portion as well I sew the pleats in front. I then sew 2 hooks and eyes inside and my saree is always ready and pleated. I have worn saree for a long time and it is somewhat tricky to learn how to pleat it properly. That said I am a large lady and I think that a beautifuly wrapped saree is VERY VERY flattering.

Yelapa
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Passenger

What a great idea yelapa I would have never thought of that. I am not a sewer but I bet I could get a seemstess to take care of the pleates etc. WOW that would make it SOOO much easier I also feel that Indain clothing is not only comfortable but very flattering on plus sized ladies (me). Also very easy to accessorize. I'm glad to hear that this style of clothing is catching on, with such a wide range of colors, fabric and styles not to mention price point it would not surprise me if more people start wearing these on cruises
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also agree that have the pleats pre sewn would be so practical, because I am always rushing to get ready for dinner and the stress of wrapping and pleating, maybe too much for me.
I love the colors and so many times the only options seem to be black, how fun to have the vibrant colors of silk to choose from. I think this is a great and beautiful option for a formal night.
Old April 30th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Passenger

I generally stick with the kameez w/ salwar because of the ease of getting dressed. It sure wold save time to have the sari/saree all ready to go I am planning on going to my India import store and seeing if they can sew my pleatsfor me I'll see what they say!
Old April 30th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Passenger

I'm not sure if I can say this on the board, but ebay has many indian stores who will do the stitching of salwar suit and sarees for you at very little cost. You send them your measurements and they will custom stitch. I have used a few of them and got some beautiful outfits.

Yelapa
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:48 AM
Passenger

I'm going to go check it out today How awesome it would be to have one tailor made! Do you know if they would pre-stitch the pleats? That would be even better!
Thanks for the info
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM
Passenger

Cruzagain; yes some of them do. They will line it ,pleat it ,and put a fall bidding at the bottom so saree does not get damaged as saree is to be worn quite long. Fall bidding is a piece of cotton or mousseline about 4 inches x40 (depends on who does it). I always request only 4-5 pleats as oppose to the traditional 10 as I am a large lady and I do not want that much bulk on the front. They will put little hooks at the waist and all you have to do is put it on like a wrap around skirt and position the pallu (the beautifully embroidered end piece) either front or back. Please do not take offense at my expanations if you already know all of this.
Indian tradition suggest that all the front of the choli (the top worn under the saree) must be covered but I take liberties with that as I wear all kinds of sarees and I wrap in many different ways. Some tailors will also offer to sew the choli for you, be very specific as the 1st one I ordered was a bit too skimpy for me. I like to wear a lycra short sleeve top quite snug with my sarees as they are comfy and easy to come by in many colors. Also, a cheaper fabric is great to make a saree to be used as a beach cover up. In many places it is not appropriate to wear a bathing suit at lunch, I find that a saree covers very well and looks a lot better than a beach cover on me. As you can tell I'm a saree fanatic! If you search for the ready to wear sarees on the net or ebay you will find many options. I even go to ebay India to shop, just check shipping charges and time to get to you. Most sarees I own were bought on ebay, for anywhere from $10.00 all the way to $150.00 depending of fabric and type of embroidery. Since I love to sew I ordered 1 ready to wear saree at first and now simply make my own the same way. Please do not hesitate if you have more questions about sarees. They fascinate me and if a form of clothing has been in fashion for 1000s of years I think it must be good. I also think that antiquity was soooo right about draping clothes on a woman as opposed to pouring her into them. Much more flattering and alluring. Yelapa
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:33 PM
Passenger

oops posted twice
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
Passenger

WOW yelapa what a selection on ebay!!!! Do you have a favorite seller? I wish I had more time before my cruise to buy a made to order one. oh well next cruise I went to my local store and they were very happy to pre- pleat any purchase for me!!!!!!!!! I am so excited!!! I'll head over later tonite to see what they have ready made for this cruise. I think more people would buy indian clothing if they knew how reasonably priced they were and how flattering as well.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Passenger

Cruzagain, here are a few of my favorites:

FROM INDIA 4 YOU ( great salwar kameez A+quality and stitching)
Hi2k Georgettes ( ready to wear saree sewn to your size)
xperse (beautiful embroidered khussas indian slippers)
Totally Textiles( gorgeous saree fabrics, this seller does not offer sewing)
indiashop1(nice nice and good sewing)

A lot of the sellers also offer jewelery if you want the complete look. Every single Indian person I ever met when I wore Indian clothing was extremely amazed and happy to see a Canadian woman wear Indian fashion. I always get more positive comments from Indians than anyone else. on my last cruise a lady? told me that she was not aware there was a toga party onboard ! I informed her that it was a saree not a toga and she said that she did not realize that white people would want to wear THAT!!! To wich my answer was: I did not realize white people could be so sadly uneducated.

Yelapa
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Passenger

yelapa !!! The look on her face after you said that must have been priceless I plan on checking out all the sellers you listed! Like you said maybe others will find out what we already know about the comfort and style and indain attire will become the new cruise fashion rage!!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:40 PM
Admiral

yelapa said:

Quote:
Every single Indian person I ever met when I wore Indian clothing was extremely amazed and happy to see a Canadian woman wear Indian fashion. I always get more positive comments from Indians than anyone else.
I love the look and fit of the saree's, but I was concerned about Indian women and men thinking that it wasn't appropriate for a non-Indian.

My DH has a (male) friend from India and he said that it wouldn't be a problem at all-he'd take it as a compliment! I'll definitely be looking for a saree for my next cruise! They are so beautiful!

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
Passenger

My husband is now wearing kurta pajamas. (They are the everyday wear for men in many parts of India). I think that they are the perfect loungewear for men. So elegant. My DH wore his at breakfast buffet onboard ship. I thought he looked sooooo wordly and exotic.

Yelapa
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Captain

Two years ago on a cruise there was large Indian group onboard and the ladies all wore sarees on formal night (and some other nights, too). It was fabulous. They got many admiring glances, but not as many as the Japanese group on the Dream one year who wore drop dead gorgeous kimonos. What a beautiful way to express your culture or share someone else's.

Wannna' talk about guys in kilts?