Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Fieldmouse,

CWolsten: Fieldmouse, I hope you and the Rev get to sit together.

You: THANK YOU...actually that might be fun!

My sentiments exactly! Care to join me and my dad for two weeks aboard GTS Infinity on 22 October?

Norm.
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Fieldmouse,

CWolsten: Fieldmouse, I hope you and the Rev get to sit together.

You: THANK YOU...actually that might be fun!

My sentiments exactly! Care to join me and my dad for two weeks aboard GTS Infinity on 22 October?

Norm.
Funny that you should mention that...my husband and I were just talking about our next cruise and IF it would be in October of this year!

As it turns out...we are waiting for word from our TA regarding a cruise to Mexico again in October with some friends.

Ahhhhh but it would have been fun though...having JUST come off the Infinity June 1st! What a surprise the staff would have had to see us again so soon!
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
BKcruiser,

I'm kinda of a down to earth girl... don't really own anything fancy.... I found a nice silky pant suit and silky blouse... will I be OK on formal night?

Dress standards vary pretty radically between cruise lines. That outfit probably okay for a "formal" evening on Carnival or Princess, but it sounds like something that would be much more acceptable for an "informal" evening than for a "formal" evening on Celebrity, for example. Another option would be to wear a dress that you wore to a prom or as a bridesmaid, if you have one.

If you prefer casual dress in the eveing, you might find that Oceana Cruises ("country club casual" every evening), Norwegian Cruise Line ("formal optional" or "casual" every evening), or even Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (shorts and "T" shirts even in the evening) would be your best match.

Norm.
On both of my Celebrity and HAL cruises the women in actual evening gowns was maybe 20%. Now they did dress nicer on those lines-you sae no one wearing jeans and shorts on casual nights but still they did not dress as formally as I was lead to believe.

Many women simply had on black dress slacks with sparkly tops. On the informal nights I saw little differanc eindress then the formal nights.
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Admiral

The contract does not say "rude or boorish"! And, even "inappropriate behavior", which was not in the actual wording is entirely subject to the captain's interpretation...not mine or yours.

Actually, Norm, I would not mind being seated at dinner with you. You would not have a problem with my attire and, while we might disagree, the conversation would not be boring.

But, I do have one real issue with all of this. Cruise Mates has long been an excellent source of information and I used to refer people to it a lot. Having been a cruise junkie for a long time, people who are considering going on a cruise or have booked their first one, often ask me where to go for helpful hints. I no longer suggest that they come here, simply because of all of these "Don't come if you aren't dressed right" posts.

Whether you or I or anyone else likes it or not, the vast majority of middle class people do not own true formal wear. I used to have a closet full of ball gowns. Not anymore, and they wouldn't fit in the cabin closets even if I did. I do have plenty of suitable attire, but trust me when I say that, at my age, I would look downright silly in a prom dress. Haven't been a bridesmaid in decades, either.

Rather than trying to scare people into choosing a more casual line, I would like to suggest that you would be more comfortable going with one of the high end, luxury lines. I think that you would find that more to your liking. But, we are mostly talking about the mid-range lines here and the cruise lines have made it very apparent that they are not going to turn people off by putting down their formal attire.

I miss a lot of elements of old style cruising, but it's still the best vacation on earth. I am pleased that more and more people are able to enjoy what I think is a wonderful experience. And everyone has a right to enjoy their vacations without being worried that they will be put down and criticized just because they don't own a tux or prom dress. I welcome the diversity of people in life and, to me, cruises are a great way to really enjoy that.
Happy cruising to all!
Marty
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Admiral

I don't really understand what everyone means by 'ball gowns'...isn't that sorta an old fashion term?

If you look at the Emmy's or Oscar's on T.V...some of the actresses dress beautifully... Most of those lovely dresses, while very formal, would NOT be considered a 'ball gown'.

On the Infinity...we saw a young woman dressed in a beautiful black dress...stunning....lovely jewerly. She was NOT wearing a 'ball gown', but there was no question that she was formally dressed. Her manner and style spoke elegants.

Later, we saw others in her group who were equally beautifully dressed ...but again no 'ball gowns'. (again...what does that mean?!)

There are so many beautiful easy to pack choices now days. Every travel catalog offers some sort of elegant evening wear, thats a breeze to wear and pack.

Maybe, most of us on this thread mean the same thing but we're stuck on semantics! Like the word, 'ball grown' or prom dress. (BTW: have any of you REALLY taken a look at what is considered a 'prom dresses lately?!'.)

I really think what was written as hyperbole, (to wear your prom dress) is being taken way to seriously!

IF ANY of the ladies on this board can still get into her prom dress...by gosh...WEAR IT with pride!!
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Colorcrazie,
Thank you !
Your post was polite and to the point. I agree with you about how the boards were much more informative at one time. I must admit that I have also got caught up in the formal fire. If I had read some of these posts prior to my first cruise I would have probably chosen a different vacation. What a shame. I am sure we have turned off some people ourselves. Maybe we should all lighten up a bit. Thanks again, what you had to say was said so well.
Old June 16th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Admiral

I don't think you have to worry about anyone changing their vacation plans because of reading our opinions on these threads. Most people are smart enough to know that these threads are not official websites representing the cruise lines.

Before booking their cruise, newbies will have talked with their TA's or with the cruise lines directly. Both Agencies will explain at the time of booking the cruise lines guidelines regarding dress. For their first cruise, most newbies will be excited and looking forward to their FIRST formal night. They will attempt to abide by the requirements. (just like we do)

It's only later, when they've cruised a couple of times, and they begin to have other expectations from a cruise experience that they may begin to question the whole dress code issue. Before that...it's most likely NOT an issue.

I think we're pretty safe using this forum to express our opinions without fear of harming the cruising public.
Old June 17th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Disagree Fieldmouse, More important than representing the cruise line these forums represent your fellow passengers. The people you will be sitting next to, socializing with etc. That includes their opinions. Prior to my first cruise I did discuss things with my TA, but I found the info on these boards more helpful. I could get answers, ideas etc in a few minuets roaming these pages than sitting with my TA for an hour. I know this particular board is for expressing opinions more than exchanging information, however I have to agree with Cruisecrazie that the flavor of these forums have soured since I first started reading them.
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Fieldmouse (love your name!)

I am basing what I said on actual reactions I have gotten from people. Ex., I have a 25 yr old friend whose grandmother is treating the whole family to a cruise (yeah grandma) and my friend is in an absolute panic. This is a very well bred young lady who cares deeply, maybe too much, about fitting in. None of them have been on a cruise before. Also, people are booking on line more often these days. While I do treasure a good travel agent, I understand that some go for the on-line prices instead. So, I really have had people read the board and get a very negative feel.

Re. ball gowns, yep, they are archaic. Thankfully! Even Oscars, etc. are not true old-fashioned ball gowns. The old style were sleeveless, with extremely full, floor length skirts. Required an amazing array of undergarments to pull the look off and one did everything possible to avoid needing a pit stop! That's why I think the whole idea of them for cruises is kind of funny.

Loved the comment about fitting into old prom dresses. If I still owned mine, it might fit as a hat, but that's about as far as it would go!
Still won't keep me away from the buffets, though!
Hungrily,
Marty
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWolsten
Disagree Fieldmouse, More important than representing the cruise line these forums represent your fellow passengers. The people you will be sitting next to, socializing with etc. That includes their opinions. Prior to my first cruise I did discuss things with my TA, but I found the info on these boards more helpful. I could get answers, ideas etc in a few minuets roaming these pages than sitting with my TA for an hour. I know this particular board is for expressing opinions more than exchanging information, however I have to agree with Cruisecrazie that the flavor of these forums have soured since I first started reading them.
Appreciate your comments, and I too have gotten some wonderful tips about cruising from these threads. The different comments about cruise lines have overall been very helpful.

If there has been one or two negative comments about a particular ship or service, I try to weight them out with other passenger's experiences before coming to any final conclusions.

In viewing these forums...perhaps you've noticed, as I have, that a lot more of the public view than post. There's no way of really knowing how those who don't post responses feel about a subject. The only thing we can be sure of is, certain subjects generate a lot more hits! E.g. Any thread dealing with dress codes!

As for the formal and informal dress code thing. The cruise travel books, and the speciality packing books, (I've found two) in chapters, 'Packing for a cruise', all clearly outline what the cruise lines dress code is. The ONLY place where I have read different is in the relatively few post on these threads which have encouraged, the 'dress as you want'.

But, no where have I read from the cruise lines; cruise travel books; or speciality packing books where you HAD to wear a ballgown or MUST wear a Tuxedo.

For example in my Celebrity ticket packet...under 'Formal nights'...it says, 'You'll want to be seen in':

Cocktail dresses or long gowns (easy to pack, their not ball gowns )
Dinner jackets and dark suits OR (I added the 'OR')
Tuxedo

Holland America and RCCI are the same.

It's not a big deal...easy, easy...not hard, not complicated. Certainly not something that would cause me to change my travel plans because I couldn't manage to throw in one or two of those light weight non-wrinkled travel gowns, with a scarf and some quick jewerly.

If you are going to spend the money on a cruise...why not approch it with a positive attitude, enjoying ALL events that make cruising a special vacation.

We've been on 6 cruises now...it hasn't been a big deal...Am I missing something?
Old June 18th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Admiral

No, you're not missing a thing! But, you obviously are a very self confident person and my primary point is that newbies may not feel so comfortable. Sadly, a lot of people aren't even sure what a cocktail dress is, let alone own one. And, I, for one think that they can, and should be able, to enjoy it all by dressing up something as simple as silk pants and top. I can certainly understand someone going on their first cruise not wanting to spend a lot of money on clothes they aren't sure they will ever use again. Of course, once they go, they'll get hooked on cruising too and then they may choose to buy some dressier clothes. That is what I did and now I own so many "cruise clothes" that I have actually loaned an entire week's worth to newbies!
Marty
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

A good place to get an idea of what people are wearing on cruises is to wander around the Cruisemates Photo gallery and look at the cruise photos. It will give you a starting point on some of the outfits people wear for formal and non-formal evenings on board.

Click Here: Cruisemates Photo Gallery

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Marty, tell your friend not to go into a panic about what to wear on formal nights. If she wants to purchase a lovely long evening gown that would be wonderful, if not then a lovely cocktail dress, dressy dinner suit, dressy pants with a silky sparkly top will be just fine. Tell her that anything that she thinks would be appropriate to wear to an evening church wedding with a reception at the local country club or fine hotel will be just fine for formal nights.
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Lisa,
My friend is a wedding photographer and a former runway model. She actually has a very good feel for dressing up something simple and she usually looks stunning in anything. I'm sure that she and I can come up with something appropriate that also fits into her comfort zone. I just needed to reassure her that she did not need to go out and buy a fancy gown.

One of my favorites is a "collar" made of mesh and then heavily beaded. It fits over the head and is about 12 " long all the way around. It makes even a very plain top look very dressy. WIsh I had bought more when I got it, as the price had tripled when I went back to get one for my sister! Guess they caught on.
Marty
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Marty,

Whether you or I or anyone else likes it or not, the vast majority of middle class people do not own true formal wear. I used to have a closet full of ball gowns. Not anymore, and they wouldn't fit in the cabin closets even if I did. I do have plenty of suitable attire, but trust me when I say that, at my age, I would look downright silly in a prom dress. Haven't been a bridesmaid in decades, either.

That's true, as far as it goes -- but a lot of middle class and even upper middle class people no longer own business suits, either, because many professional workplaces now have a "busienss casual" dress standard. In my workplace, for example, we wear golf shirts or sport shirts and slacks unless we have a meeting scheduled in advance -- and that's pretty standard across the industry. Thirty years ago, there were hardly any dinner jackets on cruise ships because all the men owned, and thus wore, dark business suits. Times have changed, though, and men who don't own business suits rent rent tuxedos or dinner jackets for their first few cruises (and later buy furomalwear when they realize that they are hooked on cruising) -- especially on the more "upscale" lines like Celebrity. The result is that we now se about a 50-50 split, on average, between "black tie" outfits and business suits on lines like Celebrity.

Likewise, for ladies, the standards have changed so traditional evening gowns are not necessary. A long dress or a formal cocktail dress, for example, is well within the guidelines of even the dressiest lines, like Celbrity.

Rather than trying to scare people into choosing a more casual line...

Im not trying to scare anybody. Rather, I'm trying to help people to make choices with which they will be comfortable. The daily programs distributed aboard Celebrity's ships now say that the prescribed evening attire is "required" -- Celebrity's emphasis -- and some ships are enforcing it very strictly in the theater as well as in the dining room. I don't have a problem with people who don't want to dress properly for formal evenings, but it's pretty clear that Celebrity would be a poor choice of cruise line for such individuals.

... I would like to suggest that you would be more comfortable going with one of the high end, luxury lines. I think that you would find that more to your liking.

If you are paying the bill, I'll gladly try either Crystal or Silversea. If I'm paying the bill, I don't see how it can be woth the difference. Celebrty has a very solid -- and very upscale -- product.

But, we are mostly talking about the mid-range lines here and the cruise lines have made it very apparent that they are not going to turn people off by putting down their formal attire.

Some lines are more "mid-range" than others. Celebrty and Carnival, for example, are not exactly competing "head to head" for the same group of passengers.

I miss a lot of elements of old style cruising, but it's still the best vacation on earth. I am pleased that more and more people are able to enjoy what I think is a wonderful experience. And everyone has a right to enjoy their vacations without being worried that they will be put down and criticized just because they don't own a tux or prom dress. I welcome the diversity of people in life and, to me, cruises are a great way to really enjoy that.

I agree completely -- which is exactly why I advocate diversity in the industry.

Norm.
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Admiral

momofmeg,

On both of my Celebrity and HAL cruises the women in actual evening gowns was maybe 20%. Now they did dress nicer on those lines-you sae no one wearing jeans and shorts on casual nights but still they did not dress as formally as I was lead to believe.

Many women simply had on black dress slacks with sparkly tops. On the informal nights I saw little differanc eindress then the formal nights.

I can't speak to Holland America Lines, but I can tell you that I have never seen more than a few women wearing black pants and spangly tops on any of my cruises with Celebrity on the formal evenings, and I'm an "Elite" member of the Captain's Club. That outfit would be fine on "informal" evening, though. In my experience on Celebrity's formal evenings, nearly all of the ladies seem to dress in keeping with the guidelines -- either a long dress or a formal cocktail dress.

Norm.
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Admiral

fieldmouse,

Funny that you should mention that...my husband and I were just talking about our next cruise and IF it would be in October of this year!

As it turns out...we are waiting for word from our TA regarding a cruise to Mexico again in October with some friends.

Ahhhhh but it would have been fun though...having JUST come off the Infinity June 1st! What a surprise the staff would have had to see us again so soon!

Too bad -- but please reconsider if your tentative plans fall though!

Norm.
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Fieldmouse,

I don't think you have to worry about anyone changing their vacation plans because of reading our opinions on these threads. Most people are smart enough to know that these threads are not official websites representing the cruise lines.

OTOH, if information on these boards does motivate somebody to change to a more sutiable option, that's a good thing. The people who do change their vacation plans proably end up where they will be happier!

Before booking their cruise, newbies will have talked with their TA's or with the cruise lines directly. Both Agencies will explain at the time of booking the cruise lines guidelines regarding dress. For their first cruise, most newbies will be excited and looking forward to their FIRST formal night. They will attempt to abide by the requirements. (just like we do)

It's only later, when they've cruised a couple of times, and they begin to have other expectations from a cruise experience that they may begin to question the whole dress code issue. Before that...it's most likely NOT an issue.

Unfortunately, there are some travel agents who will tell potential clients anything just to close a deal -- and that's reprehensible. Rather than representing each cruise line's dress standards accurately, they might tell clients that "well, Alsaka is more casual so you'll be able to get away with a sport coat and tie on the formal nights..." while pitching a cruise on a line like Celebrity, for example. That is, of course, a real dissservice to (1) the cruise lines that they misrepresent, (2) the other passengers on the misrepresente dlines who booked in good faith expecting certain standards to apply, and (3) the people to whom they made the msirepresentatoin, who are stuck on a ship that's a gross mismatch for their lifestyle without appropriate evening attire.

BTW, I understand that some cruise lines are now attacking that problem at its source by paying commission bonuses to travel agents who consistently book passengers that are a good match and penalizing travel agents who consistently book passengers that are mismatches trhough reductions in commissoins.

Norm.

Norm.
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Admiral

colorcruise,

No, you're not missing a thing! But, you obviously are a very self confident person and my primary point is that newbies may not feel so comfortable. Sadly, a lot of people aren't even sure what a cocktail dress is, let alone own one.

Honestly, I don't know very many ladies who, regardless of age, don't own either cocktail dress or a full length dress that they wear to weddings, to their company's Christmas party, and to other social events.

Also, if one does not understand the term "cocktail dress," it's not that difficult to take a walk through the local mall to see what the stores are selling as a cocktail dresses. It's also not that difficult to type "'cocktail dress'" into an Internet search engine -- which turns up plenty of pages loaded with pictures, like this one.

I can certainly understand someone going on their first cruise not wanting to spend a lot of money on clothes they aren't sure they will ever use again.

That's right. Thats why guys who don't own suits typically rent tuxedos or dinner jackets. I really think that most ladies have something suitable in their closets, though -- as I said, they wear it to weddings, the company Christmas party, and other dressy social occasions.

Norm.
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Admiral

FYI -For the ladies who don't own anything dressy -- Ladies can also rent formal wear for their cruise. It is usually a simple, long black a-line skirt with a dressy silky blouse.
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Norm,
I agree that Celebrity and Carnival are different, but I have concerns that some posts suggest that they are and that true formal wear is a necessity. You said you are merely trying to get people to make choices that will make them more comfortable. I think that the folks who are least likely to conform to the dress code really aren't the slightest bit uncomfortable. They don't care and I don't think that anyone will ever be able to change them. They are not going to change cruise lines or dress.

My concern is for all of the truly nice people who simply don't own formal wear. Now, I live in Florida, which is so hot and has so many tourists that you can go almost anywhere dressed extremely casually. I'm not applauding that, but the unspoken dress code here is different than it is up north.

I LOVE getting "gussied up", as we used to call it, but here it is hard to even find dressy clothes. Yes, Macy's and some of the more expensive stores carry them, but I don't agree with trying to force people to spend money on clothes they may not wear again, especially when they may have spent months or even years saving up for their cruise. Even renting formal wear isn't cheap.

Re. weddings, company parties, etc., the same thing applies. Dress is more casual. And while I retired from corporate life before business casual became the norm, I never felt that I needed to use business attire on vacation. In fact, I wanted to get really far away from it! :o Of course, being female, I would not have looked very formal in my business suit, anyway.

No, I'm not buying to send you on a high end cruise, but you seem to think it is "proper" to ask other people to spend money on clothes that you think are appropriate. I've got a problem with that.
Marty
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Admiral

colorcrazie,

I agree that Celebrity and Carnival are different, but I have concerns that some posts suggest that they are and that true formal wear is a necessity. You said you are merely trying to get people to make choices that will make them more comfortable. I think that the folks who are least likely to conform to the dress code really aren't the slightest bit uncomfortable. They don't care and I don't think that anyone will ever be able to change them. They are not going to change cruise lines or dress.

You're missing the point that Celebrity's dress standards, as published aboard ship, now say that formalwear is required in the dining room and the show on formal evenings, and that some ships are enforcing it very aggressively. Those who do not conform are being turned away.

My concern is for all of the truly nice people who simply don't own formal wear. Now, I live in Florida, which is so hot and has so many tourists that you can go almost anywhere dressed extremely casually. I'm not applauding that, but the unspoken dress code here is different than it is up north.

Yes, I understand that many people do not own formalwear -- but gents can either rent formalwear or substitute a dark business suit and I suspect that most ladies do own a nice cocktail dress for wear to weddings, etc., that would be acceptable -- even where you live in Florida.

I do think that people who don't want to conform to Celebrity's standards of dress will be more comfortable on another line.

Norm.
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:31 PM
First Mate

i am going to get brave and put my 2 cents in here. i for one do not own a gown or formal dress anymore that fits. that is my own fault i know, but that is how it is for me. and i wouldnt pack and lug one around even if i did. i have wonderful dressy clothes that look very nice and acceptible on formal nights but they would not be considered a floor length gown for the night.

i have read many lines here about '' following the cruise line rules on the dress code ''. how about the cruise lines are enforcing its own rules. on every board there are comment about kids in the adult only pool and hot-tubs. or how about teens hanging out all over the ship drunk and causing problems. and other rules being broken on the ship and being ignored by the staff. and please dont tell me this does not happen on the higher end of the cruiselines. it is happening on every line according to the cruise message boards.

when the rules on the cruise lines specifically says ball-room gown for formal night i will '' think '' about it, but that is as far as it will go. when the lines enforce their rules then i will abide by the ones they specify. untill then i will be in my silky palazo pants, glitzy top, wearing nice jewlery and strappy heels. and i will be very comfortable and look presentable and fit right in.

there is a saying and it goes like this--some people have the personality of a stale cracker. very dry and tasteless. i seem to be seeing that here.
Old July 31st, 2006, 02:22 PM
Beginner

Norm,

I can't believe you are STILL trying to control the world, and enforce dresscodes on cruises. Three years ago, I saw your post, and you're still saying the same thing, as others are still saying that they want to ENJOY their vacation, and not be bound by clothing.

I'm still in my same frame of mind too. A smile is the most beautiful thing you can drape yourself in, on any given night. A formally dressed couple with glances around the dining room to evaluate others, is not in my opinion an asset to the ambiance in the room.

A warm and friendly guest with a beautiful smile and appropriate, if not perfectly suited clothing, is very welcome in my atmosphere. Let's reasonable here, we're not talking about shorts and tshirts here, most people have a good idea of what reasonable is, and follow close to the guidelines.

The under 50 generation is not going to support these strict dresscodes for much longer, they are into enjoyment for all, that's why you see the NCL freestyle attitude and windstar becoming popular. I don't want to be relegated to only certain cruiselines, because my husband doesn't like to wear a coat on vacation. We are into bringing large family groups and don't want to burden less fortunate members of the family into needing a whole new wardrobe for each family member for a week of vacation.

It's not about what you can afford, it's about being on vacation, we live in a FREE LAND.

To each his own, and wear it with a smile, you'll enjoy yourself alot more if you do!
Old July 31st, 2006, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Mom, I am with you 100%. I go on a cruise to relax and enjoy myself, not to look at other cruisers and judge them by how they are attired. The winds of change are blowing, and I feel like gliding right along.

It isn't just the under 50 generation who feel better when they are dressed casually on a cruise, but a whole lot of those over 50 like myself really hate wearing a coat and tie. I really don't know how I look, but I feel much better wearing dress slacks and a nice shirt to dinner.

I want to choose a cruise by itinerary,length of cruise, size and design of ship rather than by what dress standards the cruise line suggestd or requires.

Live and let live and you will live longer!
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:33 PM
Admiral

momto4,

I can't believe you are STILL trying to control the world, and enforce dresscodes on cruises.

No, I'm not trying to control the world. I'm just trying to give people straight answers.

What's tolerated aboard ship varies considerably from one line to another. Celebrity, in particular, seems to be enforcing dress codes. Carnival apparently is not. So be it.

The under 50 generation is not going to support these strict dresscodes for much longer, they are into enjoyment for all, that's why you see the NCL freestyle attitude and windstar becoming popular.

Some are, and some are not. There is a signifcant number of "under fifty" folks who really do enjoy dressing up for a formal evening. In fact, one of the attractions of cruising today is that it's one of the few times when many people have an occasion for which to dress up!

It's not about what you can afford, it's about being on vacation, we live in a FREE LAND.

Yes, and you and I each have the freedom to choose a vacation package that includes "formal" evenings or one that does not. To choose a vacation package that includes "formal" evenings and then not to dress properly for the occasion, however, is an abuse of freedom. Other people have paid to participate in those "formal" evenings, and they have every right to expect that all participants will come properly attired because attire is part of what makes the "formal" ambiance.

Norm.
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

... I find that most ships are actually very lenient with the dress code on casual and imformal/semiformal nights... because the family that my family travels with waltzes into the dining room wearing bluejeans or shorts on those night with t-shirts and nothing has been said about it to them... and the boys (2 of em) have been on 16 cruises while the parents own up to 25... i however tend to overdress so our table is always a bit muddled together... we have the extremes... underdressed to overdressed and the middles... Formal night however is your... CHANCE... to get out there and say woo hoo I look GOOD... and even if you don't want to get dressed up... theres always the windjammer... or the ocean view... or that buffet thing up on deck whatever to eat at on formal nights...

and who would want to even begin to pack their prom dress... those things weight 20 pounds at least... err.... well i have seen some that weight less than a pound... but those aren't even appropriate at prom... much less a formal dining room experience...
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Mom,
Loved your post. A smile is appropriate anywhere, any time!

It is not just young people who no longer want to follow formal wear specifics. I'm well into my 2nd half century. Done plenty of true formal wear for one lifetime. I still dress up, but not like when I was younger.

Formal wear trivia...the "no white after labor day" also used to apply to tuxedo dinner jackets. Men wore black from Labor Day until Easter, then switched to white dinner jackets. I actually enjoyed one aspect of all that. When Easter came, the white patent leather shoes came out of hiding and that meant that winter was over...even if we got more snow and had to go back to winter shoes and clothes.

Marty the old
Old August 1st, 2006, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Marty,

It is not just young people who no longer want to follow formal wear specifics. I'm well into my 2nd half century. Done plenty of true formal wear for one lifetime. I still dress up, but not like when I was younger.

You're absolutely right. In many cases, it's the "seasoned citizens" who don't want to dress up for formal evenings!

That said, I think there's good demand for an "all casual" major cruise line, and I'm surprised that neither Carnival Corporation nor Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has moved to introduce such a product. I would like to see the latter split the Royal Caribbean International fleet into two lines, one of which would maintain the present name and present standard of dress while the other would introduce a new brand and an "all casual" dress code (that is, NO "formal" evenings). I think that the response wo the latter would be very strong.

Formal wear trivia...the "no white after labor day" also used to apply to tuxedo dinner jackets. Men wore black from Labor Day until Easter, then switched to white dinner jackets. I actually enjoyed one aspect of all that. When Easter came, the white patent leather shoes came out of hiding and that meant that winter was over...even if we got more snow and had to go back to winter shoes and clothes.

The rule about when to wear white probably originated in England, though the "Labor Day" cutoff proably is New England adaptation from a British holiday occurring in early September. In any case, the growth of the Empire clearly made it locale-specific. White is always acceptable in the tropics, and the season grows is longer as one gets closer to the tropics. Of course, a black dinner jacket is always acceptable anywhere at any time of year.

Norm.