Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Default Hate dressing up?

Lots of folks don't want to to take formal attire along on their vacation. So, for these people I recommend NCL and Oceania Cruises, both with a "country club casual" dress policy. NCL's food has improved a great deal and the glitches with Freestyle Dining are worked out. There are still big service problems in Hawaii, but I've seen an increasing number of positive reviews from cruisers returning on NCL.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Admiral

I like to dress up as I always have to wear a uniform most of the time and DF enjoys dressing nice as well.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Admiral

I love to get dressed up! My work is very casual and i like the chance to get all gussied up.
That is good information to know for those who don't like to get dressed up. Had heard really bad things about NCL's food, glad to hear that they have gotten their act together.
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Captain

i like dressing up not in a formal a black skrit and nice top and my good
jewelry
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Passenger

Default pant suit

I'm kinda of a down to earth girl... don't really own anything fancy.... I found a nice silky pant suit and silky blouse... will I be OK on formal night?
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Admiral

bkcruiser - a silky pantsuit with a silky top are fine for formal nights. YOu can alway accessorize it with a pretty scarf, a dressy pin, jewerly and dress heels. I have never felt out of place on formal nights wearing a dressy pantsuit with a silky top.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Admiral

BKcruiser,

I'm kinda of a down to earth girl... don't really own anything fancy.... I found a nice silky pant suit and silky blouse... will I be OK on formal night?

Dress standards vary pretty radically between cruise lines. That outfit probably okay for a "formal" evening on Carnival or Princess, but it sounds like something that would be much more acceptable for an "informal" evening than for a "formal" evening on Celebrity, for example. Another option would be to wear a dress that you wore to a prom or as a bridesmaid, if you have one.

If you prefer casual dress in the eveing, you might find that Oceana Cruises ("country club casual" every evening), Norwegian Cruise Line ("formal optional" or "casual" every evening), or even Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (shorts and "T" shirts even in the evening) would be your best match.

Norm.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Hi BKcruiser,

I agree with LisaK. I think your silky pants outfit will be fine for formal night on a Princess ship. I usually wear the same thing, and have never felt out of place.

Norm said:

Quote:
Another option would be to wear a dress that you wore to a prom or as a bridesmaid, if you have one.
, Norm! IF I still had those dresses there's no way I'd fit into them now! And I loved my long blue chiffon prom dress! It would be perfect for Celebrity! They say "what goes around, comes around" !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much for all your support and advice. I feel much better about the whole dress up thing already! Can't wait to for my cruise to get here!!!
Old June 7th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

We enjoyed dressing up on our first few cruises, but have become bored with it. Packing a formal suit is a pain. We are dressed well but not what some would consider " formal". I do not enjoy buffet food and do not eat pizza. We do not eat in the dining room every night, but if we feel like on formal night we certainly do. I do not want to change to another cruise line and miss out on my past guest bonus.
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWolsten
We enjoyed dressing up on our first few cruises, but have become bored with it. Packing a formal suit is a pain. We are dressed well but not what some would consider " formal". I do not enjoy buffet food and do not eat pizza. We do not eat in the dining room every night, but if we feel like on formal night we certainly do. I do not want to change to another cruise line and miss out on my past guest bonus.
Try the alterative dining...or have the same dinner served in the main dining brought to your room by room-service.
Old June 9th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Fieldmouse, FYI - the alternative restaurants that you pay a cover charge to eat at, follow the dress code of the evening. The exception would be NCL that offer formal wear optional evenings.
Old June 9th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Why would I want to pay extra? or eat in a cramped cabin ?
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Admiral

LisaK,

Fieldmouse, FYI - the alternative restaurants that you pay a cover charge to eat at, follow the dress code of the evening. The exception would be NCL that offer formal wear optional evenings.

Celebrity's "Alternative Casual Dining" (full table service in the buffet area) is another exception, but I would not recommend Celebrity for anybody who does not want to dress properly for formal and informal evenings.

Norm.
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Admiral

CWolsten,

Why would I want to pay extra? or eat in a cramped cabin ?

Why would you want to skip the formal evenings?

But on Celebrity, the "surcharge" of $3.50 per person for "Alternative Casual Dining" is essentially a gratuity for the waitstaff, who do not share in the gratuities paid to the staff in the dining room.

Norm.
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I do not cruise on Celebrity. My options are the alternative restaurants at $20 per pp, the buffet, deli, pizza or room service. My original post is to the comment that if I do not want to dress formal I should choose an alternate venue. The alternate choices are not to my liking. I do not wish to switch too a "free style" line because I am a repeat guest and want to take advantage of those perks. So that leaves me with one choice go to the dining room dressed as we wish which is clean, comfortable and stylish but not how a few of you prefer.
We do not go to the dining room every night. If we are in port later than 4pm we usually try a local restaurant to sample the local cuisine. I enjoy table service on the ship. I enjoy meeting the staff. I just do not enjoy the hassle that goes with dressing and PACKING for what some consider the only exceptable clothes for formal. As I said before at one time we dressed the so called exceptable formal. It got boring and a hassle. Our cruises have been 100% more enjoyable without the packing hassle.
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
Sorry, I meant the alternative casual dining.
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Admiral

CWolsten,

My options are the alternative restaurants at $20 per pp, the buffet, deli, pizza or room service. My original post is to the comment that if I do not want to dress formal I should choose an alternate venue. The alternate choices are not to my liking. I do not wish to switch too a "free style" line because I am a repeat guest and want to take advantage of those perks. So that leaves me with one choice go to the dining room dressed as we wish which is clean, comfortable and stylish but not how a few of you prefer.

Okay, let's go back basic principles of social etiquette.

>> 1. It is the prerogative of the host (your cruise line) to precribe the proper attire for all events on board.

>> 2. It is the responsibility of all participants to conform to the prescribed attire.

If you don't wish to wear the attire prescribed by one cruise line, you should book on a different line. It is rude to show up for dinner in the dining room in anything other than the prescribed evening attire.

BTW, the prescribed evening dress standards generally also apply to specialty restraurants. Thus, it's unlikely that going to a specialty restaurant on each formal evening would solve the problem.

We do not go to the dining room every night. If we are in port later than 4pm we usually try a local restaurant to sample the local cuisine. I enjoy table service on the ship. I enjoy meeting the staff. I just do not enjoy the hassle that goes with dressing and PACKING for what some consider the only exceptable clothes for formal. As I said before at one time we dressed the so called exceptable formal. It got boring and a hassle. Our cruises have been 100% more enjoyable without the packing hassle.

Such boorish behavior is totally inexcusable.

Norm.
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Perhaps not wearing formal clothing to dinner is boorish and inexcusable, but for a lot of us it is boring and a hassle.

Does it really ruin your cruise if you see someone in the dining room dressed in tasteful casual clothing in the dining room on formal nights?

Cwolsten, I would be happy to sit with you at the same table in the dining room.
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you Paul B. Your comments are always polite no matter which side you are on. The Rev and I will never agree. I think it is a stretch to point out that the cruise line is my host when I have bought and paid for her. If that is the case my "HOST" really does not care what kind of pants my husband takes his wallet out of. They will gladly except his $$$ from whatever trousers he is wearing.To those of you who have cruised in a time when the lines had more formality I am sorry that things have changed for you. We started cruising 5 years ago. The mass market line is all that we are familiar with. I know you want the lines to start enforcing the "suggested " attire, but they will not. The bottom line is you will have to spend more money to get away from us.
Rev, we would never get along. Put us both at the same table either dressed to the nines or in rags I am sure I would be asking to move at the end of the first dinner. Your profile says Massachusetts.. so does mine. Let me guess North Shore ? That would explain our differences.
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I think it is a stretch to point out that the cruise line is my host when I have bought and paid for her. If that is the case my "HOST" really does not care what kind of pants my husband takes his wallet out of. They will gladly except his $$$ from whatever trousers he is wearing.
There are some cruise lines that are really trying to enforce the evening dress code. As I stated on another thread, they have posted the evenings dress code in their news daily and near the menu that is posted in front of the main dining. They also send a reminder in your cruise packet with your tickets that there are DRESS CODES. In the guest book in your cabin, they AGAIN remind you that the dress code will be enforced. If you know all this before...WHY BOOK YOUR CRUISE ON THAT CRUISE LINE?

I paid good money to belong to a Gym. Even though I paid my money to join this Gym...they enforce a dress code...NO street clothes allowed in the excercise rooms. How can they do that? I paid! It's my Gym...I should be allowed to excercise in what ever I choose. NOT! They set the standards and I joined knowing them. I can't later decide I don't want to follow the contract.

Same with the cruise lines. When you sign for your tickets you are in effect signing a contract. Later, you want to pick and choose what you will honor or not, after all, its only a flimsy, not to be taken seriously, silly, my option or not contract. Now...If and when the cruise line decides to do that, for example, missing a Port or changing a Port schedule...all of a sudden that SAME Contract becomes the Holy Grail!

You gotta play fair...
Old June 11th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Fieldmouse, I hope you and the Rev get to sit together.
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Fieldmouse, I hope you and the Rev get to sit together.
THANK YOU...actually that might be fun!
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Fieldmouse!!!!! well said ... amen!!!
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Norm,
You seem to keep forgetting one of the most basic rules of etiquette. While the host does have the right, and obligation, to set the dress code, it is also his or her choice on whether or not to enforce it. If another guest were to even try to insist that someone was not dressed appropriately and should go to a different venue, it would be considered a severe breach of etiquette and an insult to the host. That guest would never be invited back by the host, or anyone else.
So, unless you are the host.....
Marty
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Right on, Marty.
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Paul B.,

Does it really ruin your cruise if you see someone in the dining room dressed in tasteful casual clothing in the dining room on formal nights?

You really think that I'm going to allow some ignoramus or some boor to spoil my cruise???

But the dress code is a major element in setting the ambiance of each evening, be it formal, semiformal, informal, or casual. When I pay for three formal evenings on a two-week cruise, I expect the cruise line to deliver three formal evenings on a two-week cruise -- and that means enforcement of the prescribed standards of dress. If you don't want to conform to the prescribed standards of dress on one line or another, please do both of us a favor and book your cruise on a different line on which the prescribed standards of dress meet your satisfaction. This industry is big enough to provide lines for every set of tastes.

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Marty,

You seem to keep forgetting one of the most basic rules of etiquette. While the host does have the right, and obligation, to set the dress code, it is also his or her choice on whether or not to enforce it. If another guest were to even try to insist that someone was not dressed appropriately and should go to a different venue, it would be considered a severe breach of etiquette and an insult to the host. That guest would never be invited back by the host, or anyone else.
So, unless you are the host.....

Yes, and what one does when confronted with an actual situation is not necessarily the advice that one gives on a discussion board. On a cruise, there is an appropriate time and place to address such issues -- the passenger evaluation forms at the end of the cruise. I always make a comment, either to the effect that I'm glad to see enforcement of the prescribed standards of evening dress or that this is an area that needs work.

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Admiral

CWolsen,

I think it is a stretch to point out that the cruise line is my host when I have bought and paid for her.

It's no different than being a "guest" at a hotel or restaurant. Payment for services has nothing to do with the host-guest relationship, other than the golden rule. As the one with the gold, you get to choose to spend it at the establishment with the rules that you prefer.

The mass market line is all that we are familiar with.

There are considerable differences among the "mass market" lines. By way of example, Celebrity is far dressier, and far more elegant, than Carnival.

I know you want the lines to start enforcing the "suggested " attire, but they will not.

Actually, the better lines do. What you fail to comprehend is that "suggested" does not mean that you have a choice. Rather, coming from a person in authority (the master of the vessel), it means that compliance is expected.

Rev, we would never get along. Put us both at the same table either dressed to the nines or in rags I am sure I would be asking to move at the end of the first dinner.

Perhaps the issue would not arise if we were on an "all casual" line, like Oceana.

Your profile says Massachusetts.. so does mine. Let me guess North Shore ? That would explain our differences.

*lol* What biggoted stereotype prompted a guess like that???

You are completely off base. I live on the South Shore and work in the MetroWest area.

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Admiral

Fieldmouse,

Same with the cruise lines. When you sign for your tickets you are in effect signing a contract. Later, you want to pick and choose what you will honor or not, after all, its only a flimsy, not to be taken seriously, silly, my option or not contract. Now...If and when the cruise line decides to do that, for example, missing a Port or changing a Port schedule...all of a sudden that SAME Contract becomes the Holy Grail!

*lol*

It's amazing how many people do not have the slightest clue as to what the contract really says.

"The cruise line may alter the itinerary, including omission or change of any port of call, at its discression, with no further obligation to the passenger."

"The cruise line may refuse passage to any passenger who is medically unfit for travel, or may disembark any passenger who becomes medically unfit for travel in any port of call, with no further obligation to such passenger."

"The cruise line may disemabark any passenger whose conduct is disruptive, abusive, or threatening, or whose presence is a danger to himself/herself or to any other passenger or to members of the crew, in any port of call, with no further obligation to such passenger."

The Contract of Passage of every major cruise line contains this or similar wording.

Norm.