Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Passenger

Default Dressy Business Style on a Princess Formal Night????

Ok, I am going on my first cruise onthe Island Princeess in June, to Alaska. My BF and i have no interest in Formal night, but since the last formal night will most likely fall on my birthday, I think it would be nice to have a special dinner. We have registered for Anytime Dining.

I have been told by many people, that you will see people dressed a business casual, or dresy blouses, etc. -- and are never turned away.

What is your take on this? I have 2 nice outfits that would be considered dressy in a business envirmonment. What was your observation of how people were dressed on formal night - especially on Princess.

Dont tell me i am crazy - we are just not interested in dressing up. Anyone care to comment??

first cruise
June 26, 2006
Island Princess
northbound Alaska
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Business casual - NO - but take a business suit and dress it up with a silky,or sparkly top, or add a dressy scarf , dress heels and jewlerly and you will be fine. I have done this quite a few times and have never felt underdressed on Princess.
Men will be wearing dark suits, tuxedos or dark suit separates.
Make sure to attend the Midnight Champagne Waterfall on the second formal night - quite the way to celebrate your birthday!
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Admiral

garden4cook,

Ok, I am going on my first cruise onthe Island Princeess in June, to Alaska. My BF and i have no interest in Formal night, but since the last formal night will most likely fall on my birthday, I think it would be nice to have a special dinner. We have registered for Anytime Dining.

I have been told by many people, that you will see people dressed a business casual, or dresy blouses, etc. -- and are never turned away.

What is your take on this? I have 2 nice outfits that would be considered dressy in a business envirmonment. What was your observation of how people were dressed on formal night - especially on Princess.

Dont tell me i am crazy - we are just not interested in dressing up. Anyone care to comment??

Princess does offer alternatives for those who don't want to dress up -- the buffet dinner on the Horizon Cour or, if you eat very late, you can have a full dinner with full table service at the Horizon Court's bistro. I understand that Princess now has "Movies Under the Stars" in the main pool area.

That said, Princess's stated policy is that the prescribed evening attire applies "throughout the ship" except in designated casual areas -- which basically are the Horizon Court and the pool area -- and the "formal" evenings are the evenings when they break out the best of the best. IOW, you'll miss out on the best menus in the dining room, the special events like the Captain's "Welcome Aboard" Cocktail Party (when all beverages are compliemtnary), the shows, and the champagne waterfall on the last formal evening. When I say the best menus, I really do mean it -- the selections on the last formal evening, for example, generally include lobster tails, roast pheasant, and beef wellington. Your choice.

In my experience (which admittedly was over three years ago), Princess's enforcement of dress standards was very inconsistent -- some ships did and others did not. If you don't conform to the prescribed dress, there is a very clear risk that the Maitre d' or head waiter will turn you away when you arrive at the door of the dining room. If you conform to the dress guidelines, you won't have a problem.

If you and your significant other really despise the notoin of dressing up, you would do well to check out (1) Oceana Cruises ("resort casual" every eveing), (2) Dinsey Cruises (also "resort casual" every evening), (3) Norwegian Cruise Line ("formal optional" evenings rather than "formal" evenings), and (4) Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (ultra-casual; you can go to dinner in shorts and a T shirt). Any of these lines probably would be a better match.

Norm.
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Admiral

This is what I cannot fathom... why is it that people are adverse to dressing up? I have yet to see anything that someone wears that is nice, come out to be a bad experience. People should be jumping to be able to put their "best foot" forward from time to time.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Admiral

garden4cook - just so that you know. The dress code technically applies to the entire ship for the evening, not just the Anytime Dining rooms, the Traditional dining rooms and the Specialty(extra charge) restaurants. The only place that you can dress casual on Formal nights and eat would be Horizon Court buffet and room service. We found that on Princess if you are planning on attending any of the special events on formal nights, that the vast majority of the passengers stayed dressed in their formal wear.
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Beginner

Default my 2 cents

I have seen people in Sunday type dress up and they were fine on formal nights.
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Admiral

Tammy,

have seen people in Sunday type dress up and they were fine on formal nights.

Hmmm....

I'm not sure whether to agree or disagree because "Sunday type dress-up" could mean a lot of different things, depending upon one's culture and upbringing. I know plenty of folks whose "Sunday type dress-up" is a ratty sweatsuit in the winter and ratty gym shorts, a ratty "T" shirt or athletic shirt, and ratty white socks in summer -- worn with ratty sneakers in either case. Believe it or not, I even seen people show up in church dressed that way from time to time, but I doubt that this is what you meant.

So... what does the term "Sunday type dress-up" mean to you?

Norm.
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Beginner

So... what does the term "Sunday type dress-up" mean to you?

Norm - To me it is my mom's definition...only the very best, because you are going to God's house. She also explained to me that "your very best" is different for everyone based on what life had given them. She would have locked me in my room if I had even thought to go to Church in ratty anything.

does that make me clearer?

Then we can also go in the direction of if you can afford the cruise you should wear the appropriate clothing.

Personally I love to go very formal on formal night. We leave Saturday and the formals are already pressed and packed for both my daughter and I. Now hubby had to take the suit, black very classy, in to be altered, so that is still on the to-do list to be picked up.

have a great day - Tammy

[/quote]
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Admiral

queenhead,

(Regarding meaning of "Sunday type dress-up" as used in your earlier post) To me it is my mom's definition...only the very best, because you are going to God's house. She also explained to me that "your very best" is different for everyone based on what life had given them. She would have locked me in my room if I had even thought to go to Church in ratty anything.

Hmmm....

I'm still not quite sure what to say because true formalwear (dinner jacket, formal gown, etc.) is proper only in the evening, so it really is not what one would wear to church. OTOH, the clothes that you wear if you really do dress up for church as you describe probably would fall within the modified dtandards of formal that prevail on cruise ships.

Then we can also go in the direction of if you can afford the cruise you should wear the appropriate clothing.

I actually would have said it the other way around -- those who cannot afford the prescribed attire cannot afford the cruise, either -- but we're getting to the same bottom line.

Personally I love to go very formal on formal night. We leave Saturday and the formals are already pressed and packed for both my daughter and I. Now hubby had to take the suit, black very classy, in to be altered, so that is still on the to-do list to be picked up.

Yes, there's something really special about the abmaince of a formal evening. My white dinner jacket is at the ready!

Cruise on!

Norm.