Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Passenger

Default just how casual is the first night onboard?

Just curious...just how "casual" is the first night on board ship...more so with an Alaskan cruise??????? Just in case i dont get my luggage in time, perhaps i need to wear something a bit nicer than i would prefer for running around traveling, etc.

Gosh, i am gonna be on vacation...this dress code bit really gets me...

first cruise: June 26, 2006
norhtbound Alaska
Island Princess
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

The first night is so crazy that no one pays attention to what anyone is wearing. Some people came in shorts, jeans, dresses, pants, etc. Just what ever makes you comfortable.

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Admiral

the first night is very casual. Pretty much anything goes, just don't travel in your pajamas I usually wear a pair of comfy cotton pants,(like Dockers) a nice plain colored t-shirt or jersey and a pair of sneakers when i fly. That would be just fine for first night dining. We do pack a change of casual clothes in our carry-on just in case
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Yup...the first night is casual to very casual...unless you eat in one of the specialty restaurants. They require Nice casual for women and a slakes, coat and tie for the men.
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Admiral

garden4cook,

Just curious...just how "casual" is the first night on board ship...more so with an Alaskan cruise??????? Just in case i dont get my luggage in time, perhaps i need to wear something a bit nicer than i would prefer for running around traveling, etc.

Officially, the same dress standard as other "casual" (or "smart casual" or "country club casual" or whatever other modifiers a cruise line may use for "casual") evenings is in effect.

Practically, enforcement is generally more lax than other "casual" evenings because the staff recognize that passengers may not have received their luggage, especially at first seating.

Norm.
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Passenger

For our first night on Mariner, I wore capris and a cotton top. Most everyone seemed to be in similar clothes.

Don't let the dress regulations make you crazy. There are certain things that are really inappropriate in the dining rooms - like bathing suits, bathing suit coverups, short shorts, shorts, flip flops, board shorts, etc.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Captain

the frist and the last night you can were your travel clothes in the dining room
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Passenger

So would shorts be allowed the first night if luggage doesn't arrive?? I was planning on packing a pair of slacks for hubby and I but would shorts fly for my kids IF they didn't get their bags?? How bout jeans on my boys on regular casual nights? Planning on having Kahkis just for dinner but really don't want to buy 5 pair and you know they'll spill red drink on it the first night if I don't bring plenty!
Old June 25th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Admiral

I did wear jeans to dinner .

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The chances of your luggage not arriving by dinner time are slim but what I do is always pack a pair of cotton pants (Docker type) and polo shirt in my carry on. My wife does the same thing. If you have kids then I would have them wear a pair of nice shorts and a shirt when they board and carry their swim suits and a t-shirt in your carry on. If they are old enough they can each have their own small carry on.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Admiral

momx5,

So would shorts be allowed the first night if luggage doesn't arrive?? I was planning on packing a pair of slacks for hubby and I but would shorts fly for my kids IF they didn't get their bags?? How bout jeans on my boys on regular casual nights? Planning on having Kahkis just for dinner but really don't want to buy 5 pair and you know they'll spill red drink on it the first night if I don't bring plenty!

I just travel in clothes that meet the standards for "casual" evening attire, so there's no problem if luggage delivery runs late. All of your transportation is air conditioned anyway, and often excessively so. Thus, it's more comfortable to travel in slacks than in shorts anyway.

Norm.
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Passenger

My main concern was for the kids........I'd have to carry on an entire suitcase to have a change of clothes for 7 people and a 5 hr car drive waiting to board the ship all in 90++ degree weather I won't be traveling in pants and sure wouldn't do that to my kids!!! I guess if the luggage isn't there we can always eat on deck no biggie!! We may eat on deck alot just because of the dress code I'm going to be on vacation so changing clothes multiple times a day at home I hate so I really don't want to do it on vacation!!
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Admiral

momx5 - your boys will be fine in a nice pair of shorts and a jersey for the first night.
Jeans are too heavy, too hot, too bulky for a Caribbean cruise.(IMO) Dockers type or just cotton twills are much better. You don't need to pack a pair of pants for each night, - have the Tide pen handy to take out the stains. You can get 2 nights easy out of one pair of pants, they are only going to be wearing them for a couple of hours. You can always wash them or have them sent out to be cleaned.
Don't sweat the whole clothes issue - 90% of the day you will be in either shorts or your bathing suits - you can eat anywhere on the ship during the day in your shorts. In the evening you shower and change into your dinner clothes, thats 2 clothes changes. Unless you plan on going swimming after dinner most people stay dressed in their casual clothing. People do sometimes change out of their formal wear - it depends upon what activites you plan on doing on formal night.
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Thanks it was the first night I was mainly worried about just so I didn't have to pack 7 pairs of clothes in the carry on! I'd much rather pack swimsuits than dinner clothes!! I agree with jeans being hot but it beats having to go buy more kaihkis they can put shorts back on after dinner!
TIDE PEN great idea thanks!! NANANANANA hey hey het goodbye - hope ya'll seen the commercial!
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Admiral

momx5 - if for any reason your luggage doesn't arrive in time for dinner, what we have done in the past is to walk up to the Maitre D and tell him that our luggage hasn't arrived at our stateroom yet and would it be alright for our family to dine in his dining room in shorts, this small jesture goes along way with the Maitre D. He will appreciate the fact that you took the time to ask his opinion, and his answer will be yes, unless you are in ratty torn dirty shorts which by your posting i don't think you will be.
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Passenger

Oh good advise Thank you so much; being a first timer I would have never thought about that!! Thanks!
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Passenger

A cruise I went on, the lady was wearing pasties and a g-string the first dinner.
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibertb
A cruise I went on, the lady was wearing pasties and a g-string the first dinner.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011