Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Beginner

Default dressing for cruisetour in Alaska

I have been learning so much from all of you, especially about packing and what to take for Alaska. However, I have not come across any posts about what to wear for the land portion of the cruisetour. We will be there at the end of July - next month! We want to pack all we'll need for those 3 days, previous to the cuise, in separate bags. Any advice? Jeans, shorts, nice clothes for dinner...? Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Tria,

I have been learning so much from all of you, especially about packing and what to take for Alaska. However, I have not come across any posts about what to wear for the land portion of the cruisetour. We will be there at the end of July - next month! We want to pack all we'll need for those 3 days, previous to the cuise, in separate bags. Any advice? Jeans, shorts, nice clothes for dinner...? Thanks very much.

For gents, I recommend polo shirts, a couple pairs of slacks, and a couple pairs of shorts. For ladies, skirts and tops will take you anywhere. Also, bring a rain jacket and a sweater or sweatshirt in case you wind up in a cool spot.

If you are going on serious hikes, climbs, etc., you'll want jeans for that. Otherwise, I would not bother with bluejeans.

Norm.
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Passenger

Thank you, Norm. My understanding was that the Cabin Nite Dinner Theatre at Denali was pretty informal and since the other meals are on our own, we were thinking of packing jeans and shorts for these 3 days. I really doubt that I would want to wear a skirt for that much riding on a bus, but I certainly do appreciate your reply. Yes, we will definately pack jackets, sweaters and rain gear. We are counting the days!
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The cruise tour portion will be casual dress. For the bus tours dress comfortable with slacks and definitely take a jacket, removable sweater and rain gear or poncho. Your day may consist of cool rain and then turn into warm sunshine so the ability to layer and add or remove is important. Jeans are perfectly acceptable but do weigh more and take up more space in the suitcase.

You will do some walking so have comfortable walking shoes that also favor your feet while sitting for longer bus rides.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 21st, 2006, 06:41 AM
Passenger

Thank you, Mike. Your reply is appreciated. My suitcases are packed mentally and, so far, no wrinkles!
Old June 24th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Admiral

kantwait2cruz,

Thank you, Norm.

You're welcome!

My understanding was that the Cabin Nite Dinner Theatre at Denali was pretty informal and since the other meals are on our own, we were thinking of packing jeans and shorts for these 3 days.

Yes, that's correct.

That said, you probably will be travelling with mostly a "country club casual" crowd rather than a "jeans and T shirts" crowd -- hence my suggestion of slacks and skirts rather than jeans unless you are planning to go off the beaten path. The daytime temperatures in Fairbanks were well into the 80's when my parents were there a few years ago, so gents may well want shorts to wear in the daytime.

And to clarify Mike's reply, the dress standards for the cruise portion of the trip will conform to the line's normal standards. Dress standards aboard ship do vary considerably from one line to another.

Have a great trip!

Norm.