Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Passenger

Default Snorkeling gear

Hi all! I would like to know if people
take there own snorkeling gear with
them? If so, where is a good place to
get a nice set? Do you need all the
stuff? Mask, snorkel and fins?
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Admiral

It depends on how much you want to pack and carry. All of the tours I've seen and went on supply fins, snorkle and mask. If you think thats YUCK., buy your own snorkle. You can get them just about anywhere.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Admiral

We take all our own. I would suggest you go to a dive shop and find at least a mask and snorkle. You never know really just how clean they do get the snorkles and you really want a mask to fit your face properly. Too tight and you get bad face squeeze and headache, too loose and no matter how much you pull on the strap water gets in.

I've bought the extra large ziplock bags to put ours in, has handle so easy to carry and it keeps any left over sand off our clothes in the suitcase.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

nlb is right. The best place to get a good mask and snorkel is a dive shop. They will be able to fit the mask to your face. You can find a good one at many stores but to assure a good fit a dive shop is the place to go. You'll pay more but it's worth it in the end.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Hi Kim,
I think it depends on how much snorkeling you plan to do and how you feel about using stuff that countless others have used. I used to own my own snorkel and mask, simply because the rental ones never fit right, but I would rent fins, so I didn't have to use up luggage space. You also might want to compare rental costs to buying.
AAAH....used to love feeling like I was in a giant aquarium!
Marty
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Admiral

If this is your first time snorkeling then i would suggest that you rent your gear on the ship for the duration of your cruise. On our last cruise the cost to rent mask, fins and snorkel was about $25.00 per person for the cruise.
We have our own gear, as we like to snorkel a lot. We have our own gear bag for our mask, snorkel, we have to bring fins for my DH as he has a very large, very wide foot and he usually can't find his size to rent. Otherwise we will rent fins on the beach.
I totally agree with the others that if you are going to make the investement into snorkeling go to your local dive shop and get a mask that fits. Nothing worse than getting a bad seal.
FYI - if the men in your life have a moustache, they will need to vaseline it to get a good seal on their mask.
Old July 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Passenger

I got a great deal on a body glove set at Sam's club. The whoel set was about $35 off season. Shop around. You don't need to spend hundres of dollars. If you don't want to take everything, at least take yoru own snorkel & mask. You can rent fins when you get there.
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Passenger

I bought our this week at Sams club for 30.00 made by Body Gear and its great. It has a nice mask and fins. I used fog X (found at Auto Zone) to help with the inside fogging up.
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornahasa
I bought our this week at Sams club for 30.00 made by Body Gear and its great. It has a nice mask and fins. I used fog X (found at Auto Zone) to help with the inside fogging up.
You might want to rethink using fog X, you might be putting some strong chemical's pretty close to your eyes if you don;t get it completely rinsed out. To prevent fogging clean the inside surface of the lens with toothpaste and water. If the mask still fogs simply rub some spit on the inside lens and rinse.
Ecstasy 11-04
Fantasy 04-05
Glory 10-05
Old August 9th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

I concur with the people who say to buy your own mask and snorkel... those are personal things they go right ontop of your skin and in your mouth... you can never tell how well the place you rent from cleans those items... and as for preventing fogging... i find nothing works quite as well as spit... something about spit just prevents fogging magically...
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 9th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Admiral

dornahassa - i totally agree with wolfie about re-thinking using an anti-fog product that you bought at the autoparts store- you are putting a product close to your nose and your eyes.
Totally agree with the others that good ole spit works just fine to clear the fog out of your mask.
There are products made especially for de-fogging masks and goggles, you would have to go to a dive shop.
Old October 30th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to austinleatherworks

Personally, I would never use a snorkel from a rental or "equipment supplied" situation. We purchased our equipment from our local dive shop and it's well worth the investment. You'll have equipment that you're comfortable with, familiar with, and eventually experienced with. As for anti-fogging agents, I'd suggest using only the ones made for dive masks. Those made for automotive purposes can have nasty side effects on the equipment AND your face, you only get one set of eyes.
JMHO
Old December 26th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Passenger

I agree, you can get a nice set at costco Mask, snorkel mouth piece and fins, bag for about $40.00.

Have lots of fun.