Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Beginner

Default Dressing for dinner

My husband and I are going to Canada on the Victory in Aug. How should we dress for dinners? My husband is self employed and NEVER has a need to look nicer than cotton slacks and a polo shirt. I have ugly legs and rarely wear dresses. I wear capris pants and cotten slacks to work. Do we need to go shopping? And how many nights do we have to look causual and how many formal? What is formal anyway?
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Hi,

It depends on how long your cruise is. You can wear nice slacks and tops for casual nights. I've seen some very lovely pant outfits that can be "dressed up" for formal nights if you like. Formal night is suppose to be dress for women. What about a long dress covering your legs? For your hubby, cotton and polos are just fine for casual night. You might want to get him a suit for formal night.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 21st, 2006, 10:58 AM
Admiral

sjr,

My husband and I are going to Canada on the Victory in Aug. How should we dress for dinners? My husband is self employed and NEVER has a need to look nicer than cotton slacks and a polo shirt. I have ugly legs and rarely wear dresses. I wear capris pants and cotten slacks to work. Do we need to go shopping? And how many nights do we have to look causual and how many formal? What is formal anyway?

Strictly, "formal" means "black tie" -- tuxedo or dinner jacket for gentlemen and a full length dress or formal cocktail dress for ladies. The cruise lines have adapted a modified standard of "formal" that admits a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit, with dress shirt and necktie, for gentlemen.

For casual evenings, a polo shirt and slacks (Dockers, etc.) is the ticket for gentlemen and ladies generally wear a skirt or slacks and a nice top.

Norm.
Old July 21st, 2006, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dressing for dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr
Don't stress out about the pre-cruise shopping....really that's part of the fun, getting everything ready for the cruise.

In all seriousness...once you cruise...you WILL want to again...so if you you find that your presence wardrobe is lacking a few items...do buy some good basics...on later cruises you'll just add to what you have! Also, if you go through the posted threads here, you can get a good idea of what you will need on a cruise. It DOES NOT have to be expensive to look and feel great!...

Once on the ship...you'll be glad you took the time to plan your wardrobe a little. You will feel comfortable and you'll have a great time. ENJOY...
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:14 PM
Admiral

While capri's would definitely not be appropriate for formal nights, a nice pair of dressy pants and top would be okay. I have one pair of black satin pants and a number of sequin and/or lacey black tops and I have worn them often on formal nights and never felt out of place.
Marty
Don't let anyone stress you out over "formal". This is your vacation!
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM
Admiral

sjr - now is the time to hit the end of the summer season sales at your local department store! You can find some great deals on summerwear.
Formalwear - Platazzo pants(full-dressy pants) are very much in style right now, add a dressy, silky or sparkly top, dress shoes, some nice jewerly and you are all set. On a 7 day cruise you will have two formal nights. A nice dressy pantsuit will also be just fine. A dressy cocktail dress always works. Another option would be to rent your formal wear. Ladies can rent long black skirts with a dressy silk blouse.
For your man - if he doesn't own a dark suit, try shopping your local Goodwill, Salvation Army or consignment store for amazing deals on nearly new suits. He could also consider renting a tux. You will get rental information in your cruise documents or you can do a search under cruise formal wear. All you have to do is supply your size and measurements and your formal wear is delivered to your stateroom.
Think of formal wear as something you would wear to an Evening church wedding with a reception at the local country club or fine hotel.
Old July 21st, 2006, 06:26 PM
Passenger

I didn't have any dressy clothes either when we first started crusing, and I hate dresses of any kind. I now have a pair of slinky black pants and matching tank top that I accessorize with jackets/tops/jewlery. I have collected things as I find them on sale and have not really spent much. It may not be as formal as some but I am comfortable and don't look out of place.
Majesty of the Seas 4/05
Disney Magic 8/04
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
kookylabooka

Formal dinning is optional.With the exception of the dining rooms at dinner Carnival has a liberal dress code.This is directly from Carnival.Casual attire is in order during the day.For one or two formal nights,a dark suit or formal attire is suggested.The dress code for other evenings ranges form sport coat and tie to casual resort wear.Shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room during dinner but are acceptable in the seaview bistro.For Alaska and Canada/ New England cruises,sweaters,lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested.
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Admiral

sjr - first of all - no stressin' about the dressin'! And that's an order lol.
Carnival is pretty laid back - that being said I love to dress up but I don't like to "overdress". Dh would look like a penguin in a tux so he opts for a navy blazer and gray slacks, white dress shirt and tie - and he looks fairly wonderful :o)

I always feel great in slinky pant suits or (as stated above) black silky pants and dressy tops. As for the cost - DH is Scottish - born and bred - need I say more tee-hee.

If it's a seven night cruise then you only have to dress up for two - but do it - the photos they take are great. We were really surprised how good looking we really are lol.

Have a great cruise!!

TTFN Jennifer
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Passenger

I agree. Formal has a broad meaning on Carnival. My formal clothes come from my sewing machine, or e-bay.

Got hubby a great suit on E-bay, as he stopped doing the Tux thing 6 or 7 cruises ago.
And I must say , we've always been appropiately{sp} dressed.

I bet u find something suitable for a really good price.
In any case, this is your vacation. Have a blast and to hell what others think 8)

Just my 2 cents
shirl

Have Scooter,,,,,Will travel

I get knocked down, but I get up again, cause {b}no ones{/b} gonna keep me down.
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:39 PM
First Mate

i have gained some weight because of a medication i am on over the last couple of months and now my long formal dresses do not fit. i have a great pair of silky black gouchos that look like palazo pants with a elastic waistband and 2 different sparkly tops i am going to wear for formal nights. i got the pants and tops on sale at younkers for about $15 each on sale. i have a pair of black nice looking dressy pants i could wear with the tops aslo if i wanted. my black strappy shoes will set off the whole peice. i wont be dressed to the hilt '' but i will be comfortable '' and still look nice. i bet you have something in your closet that will work and you dont realize it. . i agree, dont worry about what others might think, just be presentable and comfy and have a great time.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:42 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17

Strictly, "formal" means "black tie" -- tuxedo or dinner jacket for gentlemen and a full length dress or formal cocktail dress for ladies. The cruise lines have adapted a modified standard of "formal" that admits a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit, with dress shirt and necktie, for gentlemen.

Norm.
We're going on our 4th Carnival cruise this month and the wife finally talked me into the formal dining. I checked Carnival's FAQ and they listed a suit as formal wear, not necessarily a DARK suit. I planned on wearing my grey suit (thats the only one that still fits) am I going to fit in?
Ecstasy 11-04
Fantasy 04-05
Glory 10-05
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Admiral

In a word...yes. Better a suit that fits that a darker one that doesn't! You'll be fine. Don't worry about people saying you "have" to rent a tux unless you want to. Carnival doesn't care, whys hould people who don't even go on Carnival?
Marty
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Admiral

wolfie_47,

We're going on our 4th Carnival cruise this month and the wife finally talked me into the formal dining. I checked Carnival's FAQ and they listed a suit as formal wear, not necessarily a DARK suit. I planned on wearing my grey suit (thats the only one that still fits) am I going to fit in?

The right to prescribe proper attire always rests with the host --in this case, the cruise line -- so whatever the cruise line prescribes is the last word as to what's proper. I have cruised only on Princess and Celebrity, and both of those lines explicitly stipulate a "dark suit" as an alternative to a tuxedo or dinner jacket. Nonetheless, I have heard pretty consistently that Carnival is "less formal" than Princess or Celebrity. If Carnival specifies a "suit" rather than a "dark suit," your grey suit will be fine.

Norm.