Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:54 AM
First Mate

Default Packing cubes/envelopes

Is anyone using packing cubes and envelopes? What do you think? We've been using the compression bags and I like them except, because of the additional space, I tend to exceed the weight limit on the bags My latest Magellan's catalog has the cubes/envelopes and I was wondering if they truly work. Especially the envelopes--do the shirts really stay wrinkle-free? Also, any good places to get them besides magellan's?
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Yes, we use both...the cubes and the envelopes. They work...it's more like they keep your stuff organized, and the envelopes do help to REDUCE wrinkles.

They sell them at...REI, Travel Smith and several other travel speciality stores, and they all sell them at basicly the same price too. Maybe REI is a little cheaper...?

I like them because when I open my suite case everything is neat...and I can just take the stuff that is going in a drawer...and put in a cube! Neat and easy.
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM
First Mate

Sounds excellent! I'm all for just opening up the suitcases and moving things en mass to the drawers. The envelopes say, for instance, that a certain size holds 6 shirts--do you find that an exaggeration, or is it pretty accurate? I'm trying to calculate how many DH and I will need
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Admiral

what are they? I haven't heard of this before,how does it work, do you have a picture that you could post??
I use the layering method and ziploc bags to pack.
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM
First Mate

my latest Magellan's catalog (magellans.com) has them. The envelopes come with a folding board, I'm assuming similar to the ones that stores use to fold shirts, t's, etc, and then you stack the folded shirts/pants, etc in the envelope and close it and it's supposed to reduce or eliminate wrinkles and create more space. The envelopes come in various sizes based upon the number of items you want in each envelope. The cubes are mesh topped and zip around the top. They look great for socks, underwear, hosiery, etc. I like the idea of just taking the cube from the suitcase to the drawer. I think ebags also carries them. I'm definitely going to order some for our 12/3 Volendam cruise.
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Admiral

I usually can put MORE in the envelopes than the number stated! But...thats me

They really are wonderful. My suggestion...buy one, and do a trial pack. I used them for skirts and blouses, my husbands dress shirts too. If you do a trial pack, you'll be able to see it one or two envelopes will do. I just take ONE for myself...and ONE for my husbands shirts.

I put all my other packables, undies, nighties, etc. in the cubes.

We wouldn't travel now without the cubes! Well..ok...we would...but it wouldn't be as much fun or as neat! HA
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
First Mate

Another Pack-It folder junkie here.

Done the compressions bags and they were crap. Everything ended up in a wrinkled ball and one tore after the second trip rendering it useless. Complete waste of money. Heavy duty ziplocks would be better for the money. You could buy a couple boxes of bags for the price of one compression bag..

Campmor also sells the the folders. They had them on close out about 6-8 months ago and I bought a bunch. I have one each for my big bags and one medium that fits my carry on backpack.

Absolutely the cats pajamas and the best thing to come down the pike for traveling since the suitcase.

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old August 6th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with using zip lock bags (or equivalent). I pack all our undies in them, as well as swimsuits, shirts, and blouses, etc. In my case, we usually drive to the port - so luggage weight isn't an issue. 8)

Shar
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
First Mate

Default Packing Cubes/envelopes

Desdemona01

We use the pack-it folders and think they are great. We also use the large Ziplock bags ( gallon and two gallon from Wal-Mart) and the plastic (roll out the air type) also. These items are a great space saver and as in some of the other posts, the clothes were A LOT less wrinkled. As mentioned, you have to be careful and watch the suitcase weight because you can overload it in a hurry with these great folders, cubes and plastic bags.

crabbie1
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Beginner