Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Default ***** TSA Regulations - 10 August 2006 *****

Everybody,

Due to a foiled terrorist plot to attack aircraft with liquid explosives in London overnight, the Transportation Security Administration has put new regulatoins into effect. Effective immediately, airline passengers may not carry liquids other than breast milk and juice for infants and liquid medicines onto an airplane in the United States. All other liquids are permitted only in checked luggage.

See this article on the TSA web site for more information.

Norm.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the site link! At first read you might think...well no problem I just won't drink any coffee, water etc.
NO SIR...it includes "NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency"

Quite a serious situation.
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Does this effect the cruise lines carry on requirements? I will be driving to the port, so I don't have to worry about the airlines?
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Admiral

msblackjack - the new regulations are for airline travel only in and out of the United States.
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Admiral

The new policy has nothing to do with cruising. Of course the biggest problem is, most of us carry lots of liquids in our carry ons, now we have to do things totallly differently. If this is what it takes, we will all live with it, anything to keep from having another 9/11. NMnita
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:15 AM
BEACH DOUG

I hope this is temporary. 8 oz. of soda doesn't hold me over for a full flight.
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Fieldmouse,

Thanks for the site link!

You're welcome.

At first read you might think...well no problem I just won't drink any coffee, water etc.
NO SIR...it includes "NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency"

Practically, this means that cosmetics, toiletries, sunscreen, skin care products, etc., now must go in checked luggage. It's not really much of a problem.

Right before the quote that you pulled from the linked article, the artilce states that TSA is granting the following esceptions: "Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling; prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket; and insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines" (boldface added).

Norm.
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Admiral

msblackjack,

Does this effect the cruise lines carry on requirements?

Not as of right now, and it probably won't. Practically speaking, there's a big difference. On an airline, checked luggage goes into the cargo bay so passengers do not have access to it in flight. On a cruise ship, you check the luggage for delivery to your cabin onboard and have access to it. If the concern is explosive liquids disguised as toiletries and cosmetics, there's little that a cruise line can do short of requiring passengers to purchase such items aboard ship for use during the cruise, and such a policy probably would trigger a passenger revolt.

Norm.
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Admiral

BEACH DOUG,

I hope this is temporary. 8 oz. of soda doesn't hold me over for a full flight.

The flight attendants will give you as many sodas as you want during any flight that's long enough to offer beverage service. When the seat belt light is OFF, you can go to the galley and ask for a beverage. When the seat belt light is ON, you have to catch them when they walk up or down the aisle to make the request.

Norm.
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
First Mate

Beach Doug...

If your only getting 8oz of soda on a flight... and they wont give you more.. I would say its time to fly a different airline. Unfortunately, mine does not fly everywhere (yet!!) but you get the whole can when they pop the top! If you can, try flying on one of the smaller airlines (Midwest, JetBlue, Continental) where you are treated like a customer versus a legacy carrier(UA,AA,NW,DL) where you are treated like cattle. There is a reason why the smaller airlines have avoided bankruptcy... and most of it revolves around customer service!
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Passenger

I don't mind having to check the bag that contains all my liquid items, but obviously I'm not going to pack those things in the same suitcase as my clothes. Is there specially designed leakproof luggage for these items so they can be packed separately?
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Marjmehl,

I don't mind having to check the bag that contains all my liquid items, but obviously I'm not going to pack those things in the same suitcase as my clothes. Is there specially designed leakproof luggage for these items so they can be packed separately?

No, there's no special luggage -- and the restriction to two (2) checked suitcases still applies. Loggage companies do sell toiletry cases and cosmetic cases that fit inside standard suitcases, but these cases are not designed to be watertight.

That said, there's no problem with packing liquids in your suitcases if you follow two simple rules.

>> 1. Buy your travel cosmetics, toiletries, etc., plastic containers that are designed for travel.

>> 2. Before flying, squeeze about half of the air out of each container and seal it. This will allow the air in the container to expand with the drop in pressure at altitude, so the difference in pressure does not burst the seams.

If you want to take an extra precaution, you can put your travel containers in "zip lock" food storage bags that do form watertight seals.

Norm.
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Familiar Face

As suggested packing liquids is great in those gallon size Zip-loc bags. We've used them for years with success as we had shampoo leak out into only the bag and not into the suitcase.

I also understand that once you've cleared security and you're at your gate, you'll be able to purchase beverages there but I don't know if you'll be able to take it on the plane as I would think that would defeat the purpose. Captive audience?

Does anyone know if we're still allowed to use the TSA approved locks on our luggage??? I haven't seen anything on locks. I know we can't use the regular suitcase locks as they break them off along with the zipper assembly.

Thanks & Keep Traveling!
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Admiral

luvtocruize - no you cannot bring your drinks on the airplane. You must buy them from the vendors in the terminal and either finish them or throw them out before you board the airplane.
The ban now includes electronic equipment- Laptops, Ipods, Walkman's etc must now be checked.
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Friends who flew in from L.A. last night had cigarette lighters and antacids (!?!?) confiscated.
Marty
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM
First Mate

While Im in complete understanding in the new regulations I cant help but wonder how long it will be before they make you check all bags and make you strip down and put on a hospital gown to board a plane.

I mean really if the BG's can come up with a liquid based explosive capable of bring down a plane and can also be concealed in small ordinary containers thats pretty much takes us over the top. Can some one say colostomy bag? Hello? Booze gets smuggled into every college football game. Confiscating everyones tube of Crest isnt going to stop them from getting liquids on a plane if they really want to.

I dont see this reg going away any time soon if ever.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Admiral

LisaK,

no you cannot bring your drinks on the airplane. You must buy them from the vendors in the terminal and either finish them or throw them out before you board the airplane.

That's correct.

The ban now includes electronic equipment- Laptops, Ipods, Walkman's etc must now be checked.

Some media outlets have blown this one. According to the TSA's Q&A, electronic devices are still allowed in the cabin for flights originating in the United States.

Norm.
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Marty,

Friends who flew in from L.A. last night had cigarette lighters and antacids (!?!?) confiscated.

The ban on cigarettte lighters of any kind is not new. They are also forbidden in checked luggage.

Norm.
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Russell,

I dont see this reg going away any time soon if ever.

Oh, it will go away -- but only after we win the war on terrorism, so don't hold your breath. Nonetheless, I do expect that the TSA will reduce the present restrictions somewhat as soon as analysts in the bureaucracy have a chance to determine what's really necessary. Whenever a new threat appears on the scene, the federal bureaucracy invariably reacts with measures that, collectively, are overkill to ensure sufficiency, then subsequently moderates the new regulatoin after analysits have had a chance to assess the threat and to come to a rational determination as to what precautions really are necessary. In this case, I expect that we'll see an elimination of the gate checks and a removal of the prohibition of beverages purchased from concessions in the airports' gate areas iwithin two or three months. We may also see additional items added to the present list of exceptions, at least in moderate quantities.

Norm.
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Admiral

luvz2cruise,

Does anyone know if we're still allowed to use the TSA approved locks on our luggage??? I haven't seen anything on locks.

You're making this much too complicated. You have not seen anything on locks because the rules have not changed. The only change to the rules is that all fluids except baby formula, juices for a small child, and essential medicines must now be packed in checkd luggage.

Norm.
Old August 11th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Familiar Face

Does anyone think that since we have to pack and check pretty much everything that the airlines should cut us some slack on weight restrictions on checked luggage?
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:47 PM
First Mate

Where this is really going to hurt is duty-free shopping in the secure sections of airports, where 75% of their business is liquor and perfume. As a cruiser, I generally (used to) carry on a 3-pack of rum bottles, purchased either on ship or in port. I wouldn't trust the airline's baggage manglers to keep from breaking it by putting it in my checked bag. So basically that means I'll no longer be buying rum in the Caribbean...I'll have to make do with what I can get at the local liquor store (fortunately I don't mind Bacardi Select).

Dana
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Admiral

jcs,

Does anyone think that since we have to pack and check pretty much everything that the airlines should cut us some slack on weight restrictions on checked luggage?

They do! They do!

The first twenty pound overweight, per bag, costs only $20 or $25 on most airlines. A bag that's more than twenty pounds overweight costs
$100.

The strategy is to bring two medium-sized bags rather than one big bag.

Norm.
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Dana,

Where this is really going to hurt is duty-free shopping in the secure sections of airports, where 75% of their business is liquor and perfume. As a cruiser, I generally (used to) carry on a 3-pack of rum bottles, purchased either on ship or in port. I wouldn't trust the airline's baggage manglers to keep from breaking it by putting it in my checked bag. So basically that means I'll no longer be buying rum in the Caribbean...I'll have to make do with what I can get at the local liquor store (fortunately I don't mind Bacardi Select).

For duty free shopping, the consequence appears to be that one will have to pack most duty-free purchases, such as cosmetics and liquor, in one's checked luggage in order to go back into the gate area. This matters only if (1) one has a connecting flight or (2) one must go through the gate area to get from customs to the airport exit.

Of course, one must also pack similar duty-free purchases aboard ship in one's checked luggage if one is flying to another destination after one's cruise.

Norm.
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Everybody,

The TSA just issued a "clarification" of the new regulations requiring most liquids and gels to be packed in checked luggage. The following ARE permitted in the cabin.

>> Cosmetics: Solid lipsticks and bar soaps.

>> Non-Prescription Medicines: Up to 8 Oz. of Liquid or Gel Insulin and up to 4 Oz. of Other Liquid or Gel Non-Prescription Medicines.

>> Prescription Medicines: Permitted, but Name on Prescription must Match Name on Passenger's Ticket

>> Baby Food: Permitted.

Note that the following items must be in checked luggage.

>> Gel-Filled Baby Teethers

>> Gel-Filled Toys

>> Gel Candles

>> Gel Shoe Inserts

Shoes with gel heels are permitted, but must be removed and screened.

Norm.
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Passenger

For duty free shopping, the consequence appears to be that one will have to pack most duty-free purchases, such as cosmetics and liquor, in one's checked luggage in order to go back into the gate area.

Am I having a senior moment? I haven't travelled internationally in over a year but my recollection is that you check in, check your bags, enter the international terminal, and only then have access to the duty-free shops (and have to show your ticket/boarding pass). If that's correct (and maybe I AM failing mentally!), then ANYTHING purchased in the duty-free shop would HAVE to be carried on and, therefore, would have to meet the new TSA requirements. Soooo, no perfume, cosmetics, liquor, etc. Yes?
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Admiral

I found this:
Duty-free stores toast rule change

By John Schmeltzer
Tribune staff reporter
Published August 16, 2006

Sales of liquor and perfumes at duty-free airport stores resumed Tuesday after federal officials amended a ban on liquids allowed aboard aircraft.

Under new rules, the Transportation Security Administration said passengers will be allowed to take duty-free items on board if they are delivered directly onto the aircraft by store workers.

That's a change from last week when all liquids and gels--including liquor and perfumes sold by the duty-free operations at Chicago's two international airports--were barred after British authorities arrested two dozen people believed to be intent on using a liquid-based explosive to blow up passenger jets bound for the United States.

Michael Pane, executive director of the International Association of Airport Duty Free Stores, said the change recognizes that duty-free sales operate differently than sales at other airport retailers.

"A duty-free store's products never get into the general population," he said, noting that they are kept in bonded warehouses before moving to the secured area of airports. Most duty-free stores already handle sales in the manner required by the TSA, he said.

Pane said it is unlikely that duty-free stores will change their product mix so they can sell other products, such as water, now banned by the federal regulations.

"I have gotten no sense that they are shifting their commodities," he said. "They are much more into luxury-good items."

The precautionary ban instantly eliminated the market for duty-free staples like wine, liquor and perfumes, which represent more than 50 percent of sales in the $27 billion global duty-free business. Unlike in the U.S., the ban remains in place at most airports throughout the United Kingdom.

While the TSA said it would allow liquor and perfume sold from duty-free stores on board, it was not changing its rules to allow passengers to carry the products onto a connecting flight. "Passengers making connections from international to domestic flights must transfer the items to their checked baggage before boarding their [domestic] flight," the TSA said.

However, passengers who clear customs before departure from some international locations, such as from many Canadian cities, the Bahamas, Bermuda and Aruba, will not be permitted to carry liquor and perfumes onto their flights, the federal agency said.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Excellent info, Carolin. Thanks. Honestly, I don't find duty-free prices to generally be all that good on alcohol. But I have found some savings on cosmetics. I have a feeling that the airlines are going to be either having bottles of water we can pick up as we board or perhaps have a bottle on each seat. I tend to be an optimist and also used to work for an airline so we'll just have to wait and see.
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Admiral

dina,

Nice find -- thanks for posting!

The following quoted paragraph deserves emphasis.

While the TSA said it would allow liquor and perfume sold from duty-free stores on board, it was not changing its rules to allow passengers to carry the products onto a connecting flight. "Passengers making connections from international to domestic flights must transfer the items to their checked baggage before boarding their [domestic] flight," the TSA said.

This requirement will not be a problem for MOST international passengers arriving in the United States because you have to get your luggage to clear customs, then recheck your luggage and go through security screening again to return to the gate area. Nonetheless, passengers who preclear U. S. customs in a foreign country (Canada, for example) normally do not have an opportunity to put duty-free purchases into their checked luggage before boarding a connecting flight.

Well, there is a way around that if you have a couple hours between flights. You can check your luggage to your connecting airport rather than to your final destination. When you get to your connecting airport, you'll have to retrieve your checked baggage at the baggage claim, put your duty free purchases into it, then go to the check-in counter to recheck your baggage and go back through securty. You will need at least two or three hours between flights, depending upon the airport, to do all of this.

Norm.