Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Default Carnival dress code

Was reviewing tours for our next cruise and read what Carnival actually says about dress codes. They specifically state that tuxedoes are optional and that sport coats are within their definition of formal, as are pants for women. Now, I don't really agree with the sport coat thing, but that is a technical disagreement, since I don't really care what others wear....up to a point.
But, for anyone going on Carnival, that is their official stance. Other cruise lines do have different standards.
Marty
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Marty,

Was reviewing tours for our next cruise and read what Carnival actually says about dress codes. They specifically state that tuxedoes are optional and that sport coats are within their definition of formal, as are pants for women. Now, I don't really agree with the sport coat thing, but that is a technical disagreement, since I don't really care what others wear....up to a point.
But, for anyone going on Carnival, that is their official stance. Other cruise lines do have different standards.

A cruise line has every right to specify whatever standard of dress it wishes, and social eteiquette obviusly dictates that passengers, as guests, should conform to whatever standard of dress the cruise line specifies.

That said, you are completely correct in saying that Carnival's use of the "formal" label is a real stretch if the prescribed dress admits sport coats for men and pants (other than as part of formal pant suits) for women. This dress code really is "semiformal; formal optional" rather than "formal." If I were to encounter such a situation on a cruise, though, the comment on my comment sheet at the end of the cruise will take exception to the line's misuse of the term "formal" rather than to the standard of dress that the line actually prescribed.

And, of course, those who want a cruise with true "formal" evenings should book on a different line. This really is a two way street.

Norm.
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Personally, I like Carnivals difinition of "formal". There are those of us that don't salivate at the thought of "doing formal" so I am glad that Carnival has a more relaxed "formal code". Just my opinion and I know most of the "cruisers" don't agree with me.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Marty, you bring up a good point. That is Carnival's definition of what they consider to be formal. That may not apply to other cruise lines, especially more upscale lines. We don't want passengers to be turned away at the dining room entrance because of that. The definition of formalwear as printed in the American Heritage Dictionary is: "formalwear (n) attire, such as evening gowns and tuxedos for wear on formal occassions."
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Admiral

I totally agree. Passengers should look up whatever cruise line they are going on and see what the guidelines are for that cruise. I looked it up for a friend of mine, since I like going dressier. Hey, I live in Florida, don't get many chances to go all out. Nothing worse than sweating through a favorite outfit!
Marty
Old August 24th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Floridanamaw,

Personally, I like Carnivals difinition of "formal". There are those of us that don't salivate at the thought of "doing formal" so I am glad that Carnival has a more relaxed "formal code". Just my opinion and I know most of the "cruisers" don't agree with me.

I have no problem with any standard of dress, but I do take exception to the misuse of the term "formal" to describe what the orignal poster presented here.

Norm.
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Norm, what do you think Carnival should call it, since they include tuxedos, suits & sportscoats under the umbrella of Formal? Its more than semi-formal, yet using the term "formal optional" would open up a whole "nother cans of worms" if you know what i mean. Perhaps the term "relaxed formal attire" might be appropriate??
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:45 PM
BEACH DOUG

Default Re: Carnival dress code

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Marty
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old August 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Admiral

LisaK,

what do you think Carnival should call it, since they include tuxedos, suits & sportscoats under the umbrella of Formal? Its more than semi-formal, yet using the term "formal optional" would open up a whole "nother cans of worms" if you know what i mean. Perhaps the term "relaxed formal attire" might be appropriate??

The right term is not anywhere near as obvious as the wrong term, but an ambiguous term like "Dress-Up Evening" could encompass that range of styles.

Of course, traditional social etiquette dictates that the line should pick one standard, whether it be formal, semiformal, or informal, rather than all three....

Norm.
Old March 11th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Passenger

Since i was told by many of my friends who cruise alot that the Carnival is known as the Party Ship I guess my dress attir will fit right in with the ship
Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:30 AM
Passenger

I guess this formal attire thing is suppossed to give an aroma of excitment and an aire of sophistication.Extravagant and memorable for a lifetime. until the next cruise when we do it all again. Sounds like a disney ride but a lot more expensive. What is this dress code nonsense, do you think people who can afford to go on these trips really need to be told how to dress. Excuse me who's vacation is it. I'm not spending a grand for you to tell me how I must dress. I've been very excited about this first cruise but it may be an only affair. It's supposed to be four days and nights of fun, not a fashion show
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
Admiral

charlie - the cruise lines have a dress code for a reason, they are setting a mood, tone for the evening. If they didn't care what you wear then they would not have a dress code, if you plan on dinning in the main dinning rooms you are expected to dress according to the dress code for the evening, just know that you could be turned away at the door if you are not dressed appropriately(have seen it happen).
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Admiral

I really like that different cruise line have different standards. That way people can pick the line that is right for them. Carnival's more relaxed "Formal Night" dress code make for a more relaxed cruise. My hubby always brings his Tux, because it easy on cruises with more than one formal night all he has to do is change the bow tie.

Some people get intimated by the dining room and formal night I remember one newlywed couple they had ordered the Soufflé but didn't know whether to use a spoon or fork to eat it with. They were sitting in front of their desserts looking nervous. I got the same dessert so I said "I have no clue if I should use a spoon or fork. I think I will go for the spoon." They smiled and said they didn't know either. The Cruise experience should be fun and relaxing not stressful. Do stress over the little things no one is going to yell at you for using the wrong fork I promise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994