CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Suitcase size (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/320506-suitcase-size.html)

Pednurse September 12th, 2006 04:21 PM

Suitcase size

I will be flying for the first time in several years. What is the largest size suitcase allowed on the planes without paying extra charge? I need to buy a new one, the one I have now weighs 30# empty! Not much left for clothes. Thanks for your help.

Mike M September 12th, 2006 04:39 PM

If your current suitcase is 30 lbs. when empty you definitely should look at a lightweight alternative. Most carriers have a 50 lb. per bag limit before additional fees are imposed.

There are many different types by Samsonite, Travelpro, Eddie Bauer, Swiss Army that can be reasonably priced.

Take care,
Mike

crabbie1 September 12th, 2006 05:33 PM

Suitcase size

Pednurse, as Mike stated, most have a 50lbs limit for each bag - max checked bags, without extra charges - two.

You also have the measurments of the bags to consider.

Checked baggage - Outside measurement must not exceed 80 inches (width, height ,thickness added together).

Carry-on baggage - two - one to fit under your seat or in the overhead, and the other - Example: purse, laptop. Measurement of largest bag - 9"x16"x19".

Also, ALL airlines prohibit ANY type of liquid, jet or spray items in your carry-on bags.

Hope this helps. Might be a good idea to check with your airline, just to be sure.

crabbie1

crabbie1 September 12th, 2006 05:35 PM

Suitcase size

Pednurse..... sorry, should have read liquid, JEL or spray.

Rev22:17 September 12th, 2006 06:46 PM

Pednurse,

I will be flying for the first time in several years. What is the largest size suitcase allowed on the planes without paying extra charge? I need to buy a new one, the one I have now weighs 30# empty! Not much left for clothes.

Here's one major airline's policy. You can follow the embedded links if you need information on charges for excess baggage or whatever else.

The policies of the other major airlines are pretty similar.

If you are buying new luggage, I highly recommend luggage of reasonable quality of the so-called "rollerback" design. The really cheap luggage is not very durable, but there's no point in buying "designer" luggage for airlines to trash. The "rollerback" design is very easy to wheel through airports, cruise terminals, etc. When cruising, I usually bring two "rollerback" pieces and often wheel them on and off the ship myself, so I have my luggage as soon as I get aboard. I can tell you from personal experience that the "rollerback" pieces of size 26" and smaller go right through the cruise lines' screeners, though I have had a port baggage handler who greeted my transfer bus try to tell me that they would not.

Norm.

Mike M September 12th, 2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm
If you are buying new luggage, I highly recommend luggage of reasonable quality of the so-called "rollerback" design.

Norm makes a great point. Don't go cheap on your luggage but don't go out and buy a set of $2000 Coach luggage. The Target $59 four piece special may not be a good deal when the contents spill or the wheel falls off during the first trip. Rollerback luggage is worth it's wheels in gold, LOL

Take care,
Mike[/quote]