CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Zip Lock Bags ??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/321389-zip-lock-bags.html)

ubouu September 30th, 2006 09:56 PM

Zip Lock Bags ???

Where can u buy Zip Lock bags big enough for packing clothes....thanks From Canada.

kitty2 October 1st, 2006 12:35 AM

I have not seen them in Canada I got mine in Walmart superstore in the U.S.....they were in the food section.
If you can get them they worked great on our last trip.

judysalyers October 5th, 2006 12:02 PM

Look in the freezer bag , zip lock baggie, etc. section of your supermarket. I live in a very small town in Virginia, and our Food City Supermarket has them in that area.

Desdemona01 October 5th, 2006 12:07 PM

I don't know if you have Target stores around you but they carry them in their plastic bag/storage containers section

kitty2 October 5th, 2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desdemona01
I don't know if you have Target stores around you but they carry them in their plastic bag/storage containers section

No Target in Canada! On the other board people said they found them in Wallmart Canada.

They are 2'X 3' not the small food ones she is talking about.

LoriFlorida October 6th, 2006 04:06 AM

Bought my Bags

At BED BATH AND BEYOND here in Florida but I am sure you can go online to just order them... There is two kinds one that you have to use a vacuum to remove the air, (you DO NOT) want this kind,, The other kind they have which you want is the kind you have to roll or sit on to remove the air. This way it takes up hardly any room... I even took my own bed pillow using these it removed the air and was very compact...

Hope this helps!!!!

Loriflorida 8 days till our cruise[/b]

LisaK October 6th, 2006 10:49 AM

You should be able to find them at WalMart.
You might even be able to find them at your local large chain grocery store. Our local chain grocery store has just started stocking them.
We have quite a few Canadian cruisemates on this site, you might want to ask your question over on the ChitChat Board, that board gets alot more hits than this one.

crabbie1 October 7th, 2006 01:47 PM

Zip Lock Bags ???

I am a manager at Wal-Mart.

They are in the "zip loack bag" section. They are 2 and 3 gallon size. We use them when we cruise.

crabbie1

kd October 7th, 2006 02:27 PM

I obviously missed the beginning of this topic, but I am very curious. Why are we wanting to pack our outfits in giant zip-lock bags?

crabbie1 October 7th, 2006 09:54 PM

Zip Lock Bags ???

They are used for such items as t-shirts, underwear, anything that will "fold flat" in your luggage. The main reason to use them is that they take up less space in your luggage. Just put the items in them, roll them up to get the air out , seal them shut and flatten them out. They are a lot less expensive than the plastic ones that you have to vacuum out the air.

Systems such as pack-it folders sold by Magellan's and others are also good for shirts, etc.

Like I mentioned earlier, they take up less room in your luggage.

crabbie1

Fern October 7th, 2006 10:08 PM

Hi kd,

Besides taking up less room in your luggage...

I don't usually use the zip bags since we've previously driven to the ports. Now that we're flying, I'd rather not have my clothes "pawed" through by TSA if they decide to inspect my luggage :shock: !

sunset1823 October 10th, 2006 04:24 PM

You can also get some great ones at qvc.com.

Pack mate set:

https://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...b.cm_scid.cswb

judysalyers October 12th, 2006 02:56 PM

You can also put your bathing suits, beach towels, etc in them. They flatten out to almost nothing.
If you have kids going with you, they are perfect for extra t-shirts, socks, pj's. On our cruise with our grandchildren, my daughter just got a couple of packages of men's small t-shirts for the two children. They wore them to bed, going back and forth to the pool, great to put on when you're at the beach and the sun gets too hot and they need to cover up. You wll be surprised on how much stuff you can compress in one of those bags, they really save space in your luggage.

kmm44 October 22nd, 2006 08:49 PM

I use Space Bags, which I bought at Meijer. You can get them at other retail outlets and order them from the TV ads, too. They compress your clothes and add more space in the luggage. You can also use the big ones to store blankets and other seasonal items. Those you have to have a vacuum cleaner to suck out the air. I use the smaller ones and just sit on them to force out the air before zipping them shut.
You can use space Bags or regular zipper bags to put your cameras and film for easy access at airport checkpoints.

dina October 23rd, 2006 09:14 AM

I found the big Ziploc bags at Home Depot this weekend. I was a bit surprised.

Fruitcake October 27th, 2006 12:35 PM

I found them this week at Target.
It's the Ziploc brand, but they don't zip. You have to seal the top with those little ridges. I prefer the zippers.

Do these exist with the zippers?

Seasickcruiser October 28th, 2006 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kd
I obviously missed the beginning of this topic, but I am very curious. Why are we wanting to pack our outfits in giant zip-lock bags?

:?: :?: I had the same question, thanks.

Dorothy

Seasickcruiser October 28th, 2006 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern
Hi kd,

Besides taking up less room in your luggage...

I don't usually use the zip bags since we've previously driven to the ports. Now that we're flying, I'd rather not have my clothes "pawed" through by TSA if they decide to inspect my luggage :shock: !

We are driving to the port, do they go through the luggage there too, and if so, do they open these ziplock bags. Or maybe not, since they are flattened, that might mean to them, that nothing bad is in them right? Help with understanding please.

Thanks.

Dorothy

Mike M October 28th, 2006 08:50 AM

I have always used them to separate dirty clothes (especially undergarments) from clean clothes. It's a nice way to pack both in the same case and know which is which when you get home.

Take care,
Mike

Fern October 28th, 2006 10:12 PM

Hi Dorothy,

No, generally they don't go through your luggage at the ports. From what I understand (and I may be wrong!) they do scan your luggage. If there's anything really "suspicious" (guns, knives, etc.) they'll ask you to open the bag.

paisleyrose October 29th, 2006 01:05 AM

does using zip lock bags cause the clothes to be wrinkled?

crabbie1 October 29th, 2006 12:31 PM

Zip Lock Bags ???

When you squeese the air out, the clothes do wrinkle. We only used them for our "undergarments" or things that didn't matter if they wrinkled.

As MikeM posted, we use them for dirty clothes for our return trip.

crabbie1

den55 December 4th, 2006 07:31 PM

I am from Ontario Canada and you can buy the big zip loc bags at Walmart. They are easier to find around Xmas time as people use them for large presents. Hope this helps

NY Cruisin Mama December 15th, 2006 03:40 PM

You can buy "Pack-Mate" bags (am not sure of the name) at a BJ's Wholesale or in alot of the catalogs. Do you get QVC on your television?
I have seen yhem there numerous times. Or just go to your local grocery store
and buy the largest "zip-lock" bags (I like the Freezer type, stronger, myself) and squeeze the air out when almost full.

bluesky8130 December 16th, 2006 05:35 PM

I was just at Wal-Mart today in Winnipeg, MB & they have both the XL & XXL Ziplock bags in stock.

Hope this helps the other Canadians