Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:08 PM
First Mate

Default Reverse alcohol smuggling

So of course we have all the usual questions posted about what you can and cant bring on board and it suddenly dawned on me. If the TSA continues to restrict liquids to checked luggage what are folks doing to secure the stuff they buy in the islands and bring home. Ive always carryed mine on the airplane and stowed it overhead in the travel box they they put it in when you buy it at the store in the island. I wouldn't trust that to airline baggage handler.

There is going to have to be another level of thought go into pre-cruise preparation as to how to pack these into checked luggage for the trip home like remembering to bring bubble wrap etc and maybe bringing a duffle bag to free up space in your regular luggage for the bottles.

Just kind of thinking out load.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Russell,
We did have that exact same problem. We just wanted to bring home some rum from Grand Cayman, so we just bought small bottles that could fit nicely in the luggage and be secure. Had no problem, but its certainly not like before when you could carry-on your liquor purchases.

I would imagine, there is a way to actually ship some home directly from the islands, although the cost involved may not warrant buying it to begin with??

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Russell,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If the TSA continues to restrict liquids to checked luggage what are folks doing to secure the stuff they buy in the islands and bring home. Ive always carryed mine on the airplane and stowed it overhead in the travel box they they put it in when you buy it at the store in the island. I wouldn't trust that to airline baggage handler.
I often pack bottles in my checked luggage many times with no problem. Just put the bottles where they will be in the center of your suitcase when you close it and pack plenty of padding (clothing works well) around and between them so that they can't shift in transit.

Another optin is to pack them in the middle of your laundry bag, but the principle of padding on all sides and inability to shift still applies.

Norm.
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Donna,

I would imagine, there is a way to actually ship some home directly from the islands, although the cost involved may not warrant buying it to begin with??

The "rub" is that you have to bring it into the country to qualify for the customes exemption or the lower rates of duty.

If you disembark in a U. S. port, though, you can ship it from there if you have time.

Norm.
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Passenger

checked into a site called bountyhunterwine.com and found a case that will carry
12 bottles of wine or liquor but the cost of this case is 379.95 hardly seems worth it to save a few dollars unless u travel quite a bit and take cases with you when you go. as far as shipping it from the states or the islands I checked with both UPS and FEDEX and to ship alcohol you have to be licensed. I thought I would buy in st.thomas and ship it home but not allowed. talked to someone at dynasty liquors in st thomas and they said they would pack your purchase in bubble wrap for you. ok but what do you do from there. scared to ship it as luggage because if it breaks in
transit all the money saved is for not. still open for suggestions as my ship leaves on nov.11,2006
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Passenger

Default Reverse alcohol smuggling

A friend of mine and I were talking about this just the other day. I suspect that these new regulations have really hurt liquor stores in the islands, who used to do a great business selling liquor, which everyone carried back home on the plane, including us. I don't trust baggage handlers enough to do it, particularly when on a cruise because they stack luggage much higher than it is stacked to load onto an airplane. You can't ship it home, as was previously said. So, we will not be purchasing any liquor on this trip. And I'm sure we're not the only ones. I feel like there has to be some way to help protect the commerce involved for stores that are dependent upon tourists for their livelihood. Perhaps if the TSA could issue some kind of seal applied at the store that cannot be counterfeited, and allow you to carry on liquids that are sealed and that have not been tampered with?
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

We recently brought 4 bottles of liquor home in checked baggage and it came through without incident. We used those wine totes you can buy in most liquor stores. They are padded neoprene and hold 2 bottles. We packed them in the middle of our suitcase surrounded by clothes and they survived just fine.

Here is another thought. We belong to a "wine of the month" club and receive 2 bottles of wine shipped via UPS each month. They are shipped in a very sturdy and well designed box that is made just for this purpose. We've never had a broken bottle in several years. Perhaps you could check with a local wine shop, they may have some of these boxes lying around. They would be perfect for checking bottles as baggage.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Yeoman

One could always drink it on the way to the airport!!!!

My Army daughter came home for a visit in full camo uniform complete with ID, dog tags and orders. They took her toothpaiste and hair conditioner!!!

One day, we're all going to be forced to fly naked. Wouldn't Dave the Wave love that??? Just kidding DAve!!!
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
First Mate

I think Im going to just stash along some bubble wrap.

God what is this all coming to?

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Admiral

I haven't smuggled alcohol but I have carried tea and water in my luggage with no problems. However, the last cruise, SOMEONE else's luggage had a leaking problem and got mine wet.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.