Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Familiar Face

Default Prescription Snorkel Mask

Can anyone recommend where to get a snorkel mask with prescription lenses? Maybe online? Our local dive shop wants an arm and a leg for this special mask---to the tune of around $350, plus a month to have it made.
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Options- contact lens
if you have decent vision without your glasses you might not even need them to snorkel. A basic snorkel mask and the water magnifies whatever you are looking at. I do not need my glasses when i snorkel.
You can purchase or rent snorkel masks that have magnification built into them, like the reading glasses you buy at the drugstore.
I think that there are even snorkel masks that fit over glasses, but i am not sure on this one.
Its a pricey investement for something that you won't use everyday and what happens when your vision changes.
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Admiral

try this: http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp_category_53

I was reading about this site today and they seem to have everything with pretty good prices.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Passenger

Default My Mom

My mom has the same concern, she went to the eye doctor to ask about contacts and he said it wasnt worth it to get contacts for just a couple days of snorkling and that the places you get snorkling equiptment from usually have some prescriptions of goggles on hand. Has anyone heard of this?
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Admiral

zuccini - a lot of places that sell/rent snorkel gear will have masks that have magnification like the reading glassess that you buy at the drugstore built into the mask. I would suggest either buying or renting from a local dive store, renting from the cruise line, i think it would be doubtful that you would find special lens renting from the tour operators on the islands you would have to rent from a local dive shop
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Passenger

My daughters always were able to get magnified ones on excursions...
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasul mama View Post
Can anyone recommend where to get a snorkel mask with prescription lenses? Maybe online? Our local dive shop wants an arm and a leg for this special mask---to the tune of around $350, plus a month to have it made.
Well I used prescription dive mask in California, charged over $350, close to $400 but I leave for my cruise and dont have my mask, they are crooks so go with your local dive shop, I plan on suing Prescription Dive Mask, located in La Mesa Calif, totally unreliable