Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:49 AM
Beginner

Default Different Dress Code Question- Embarkment day

I have a question regarding dress on the day of embarkment. We will be traveling from the east coast to the west coast on the day of embarkment for our Dawn Princess Cruise. We will have to leave for the airport around 4am to make to the west coast in time.

I am already planning that my two children will be starving when we finally get to the ship ( I will feed them on the way, but they will still be very hungry when we get to the ship. It's a given.) I understand that there is a lunch buffet available as soon as you get on the ship.

My question is, do we have to be dressed in country club casual just to attend the buffet? I was planning on having them sleep in cozy sweat pants and guide them half asleep onto our first flight. I would hate to think that they would have to travel in kahkis and polo shirts. In addition, I would rather travel in a nice pair of jeans for our very long journey. WE have plenty of formal and country club casual wear for the rest of the cruise. I just want everyone to be comfortable for our 11 hour journey to the ship.

Assuming that our luggage will not be readily available until after the kids have eaten, do I have to make them travel in uncomfortable clothes just to attend the buffet? Also, much has been said about the attire for dinners on the ship. What about lunches? Do people change out of thier pool shorts and cover-ups to eat lunch?

Thanks for any info that you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
Admiral

The first day is very casual since they really don't expect anyone to have their luggage yet. And what they will have on is just fine for the buffet.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Plus, the lunch buffet the first day is up on the deck, not in the dining room. And the dress codes for dining are for the dining room, not that buffet area. Some cruise lines even advertise that you can stay in your swim wear all day and eat at that buffet. So, don't worry, be comfy.
Re. the first dinner. If, for some reason, your luggage does not get to your cabin int ime to change for dinner, tell the maitre d' what happened. Usually, they are a little more lenient that first night exactly because of delayed luggage. I have to admit, though, that while the luggage always seems to take longer than I think it should to get to the cabin, that is just my desire to get settled in. They are amazingly efficient, given how many thousands of pieces of luggage they have to sort out and deliver.
Relax and have fun!
Marty
Old December 1st, 2006, 02:21 PM
Admiral

travel in what is comfy for you and your family. I would pack a pair of shorts and a t-shirt in your carry-on for you and the kids, if its hot on the ship you might want to change
Old December 1st, 2006, 03:06 PM
Beginner

Thank you all for your advice. We are so looking forward to our cruise.
Old December 1st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Sailawayz,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My question is, do we have to be dressed in country club casual just to attend the buffet? I was planning on having them sleep in cozy sweat pants and guide them half asleep onto our first flight. I would hate to think that they would have to travel in kahkis and polo shirts. In addition, I would rather travel in a nice pair of jeans for our very long journey. WE have plenty of formal and country club casual wear for the rest of the cruise. I just want everyone to be comfortable for our 11 hour journey to the ship.

Assuming that our luggage will not be readily available until after the kids have eaten, do I have to make them travel in uncomfortable clothes just to attend the buffet? Also, much has been said about the attire for dinners on the ship. What about lunches? Do people change out of thier pool shorts and cover-ups to eat lunch?
The buffet area is pretty much "anything goes" because it is right next to the pool. About the only dress code there is that cover-ups are expected over swimwear. The sweats will be fine.

That said, I would strongly recommend packing your swimsuits and one set of casual eveningwear in your carry-on luggage so that you will have them available. Depending upon the weather, your youngsters might want to use the pool after lunch. Also, luggage can sometimes arrive somewhat late and you all will be a lot more comfortable at dinner if you have clean clothes so you can shower and change before dinner, especially after such a long day of travel. The ship supplies soap, shampoo, towels, and a hairdrier in each cabins, but you may also want a comb, etc., if you don't have your luggage.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

If you have room, bring shorts/t-shirts in your carry-on for the plane. The west coast will be warm, so dragging around in jeans will get warm. You can always change in the airport terminal when you get to CA or on the airplane in the bathroom.

Enjoy!!
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Don't forget that a picture is taken just before you get on board. Do you want that picture to show the children dressed really down?

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Beginner

I think we are not going to look great in the boarding picture, no matter what we wear. We will have started our trip in New York where we have to be at the airport at 4:00am. We will be changing planes along the way. And, we won't get in to California until 1:00pm (4:00pm EST) I belive I could wear a ball gown and still look like Cinderella, pre Fairy Godmother! Thank you for the heads-up about the baording photo. Maybe I will try to duck that first photo.
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Admiral

Sailawayz,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I think we are not going to look great in the boarding picture, no matter what we wear. We will have started our trip in New York where we have to be at the airport at 4:00am. We will be changing planes along the way. And, we won't get in to California until 1:00pm (4:00pm EST) I belive I could wear a ball gown and still look like Cinderella, pre Fairy Godmother! Thank you for the heads-up about the baording photo. Maybe I will try to duck that first photo.
Actually, there are two (2) boarding photos.

>> The ship's professional photographers set up a themed backdrop somewhere along the route between the check-in desk and the gangplank or embarkation ladder to take pictures of every family group coming aboard. These pictures get posted for sale in the ship's photo display (no obligation, of course).

>> The ship's security people take pictures of each individual when you set foot aboard the ship for the first time. This picture gets stored in the ship's computers and subsequently compared with a photo of anybody who attempts to board the ship with your "cruise" or "seapass" card. If the computer can't verify that it's the same person by comparing the photos, the computer displays both photos for a human operator at the boarding station....

Anyway, you can walk by the first photo station, though the photographers may try to make you believe otherwise. The second photo is not optional for obvious reasons.

Norm.
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Be sure to pack swimsuits in your carry-on - the children will want to go
swimming and you probably will want a nice dip, yourself. Just be sure you have sometype of coverup for the food lines. You can eat out on
deck in your suits, as well. don't forget the suncreeen that first day, too!!

Have a wonderful time - the children programs are usually great - you might not even see your kids much the whole time on board.