CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Suitcase Size (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/325269-suitcase-size.html)

zuccini December 30th, 2006 02:28 PM

Suitcase Size

Okay I'm in the market for a suitcase to take on my cruise. Just wondering...How big is YOUR suitcase? How many do you bring?

Harry Martin December 30th, 2006 03:19 PM

You didn't say how long a cruise and how many people, but let's assume 2 people for 7 days.

We need a 30 inch rolling one, a garment bag (with wheels) and a 20 inch rolling bag plus a tote. That should cover most everything.

The big secret with packing is mix and matching your clothes. I will only bring 3 pairs of pants, for instance, for a 7 night cruise.

Finally, we did the 15 night Hawaii cruise this January, but I just packed for 7 days and did laundry. Funny enough, I only needed to wash under clothes, socks, and daytime clothes. All the night stuff was still fresh.

Harry

lulu48 December 30th, 2006 04:10 PM

We take 2 -22" rollaboards for any cruise up to 3 wks

The next cruise is 32 days so I am adding an extra suitcase 1 -26" so I have room for "STUFF"
One case will be lightly packed

Donna December 30th, 2006 04:28 PM

I can manage for a 7 night cruise with my 26" pullman and sometimes an additional garment bag and of course a carry-on.

Rev22:17 December 31st, 2006 09:02 PM

Re: Suitcase Size

zuccini,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Okay I'm in the market for a suitcase to take on my cruise. Just wondering...How big is YOUR suitcase? How many do you bring?

I usually check a 26" roller back "two suiter" and a 22" roller back "pilot's case," then carry on a briefcase and sometimes a computer bag or a small backpack. This combination is adequate even for sixteen or seventeen nights (the packing list for a cruise of fourteen nights plus three additional "casual" changes of clothes for a pre-cruise stay) on a cruise line that still holds both "formal" and "informal" evenings.

The cruise lines do not impose any restrictions of real consequence on the size or weight of your luggage, but you need to pay very close attentoin to your airline's regulations if you are flying to your ship. Most airlines now allow two suitcases weighing not more than fifty (50) pounds each wihout additional charge. A suitcase weighing eighty pounds will cost you $100 per airline check-in, but two suitcases weighing forty-five pounds each are included in your ticket. The clear message from the airlines is to bring two smaller pieces rather than one big piece.

If you are taking a film camera, be sure to pack all of your film in your carry-on luggage. The xray equipment that the TSA now uses to scan checked luggage will expose photographic film contained therein.

Norm.

HappyCruiser383 January 19th, 2007 12:43 PM

I usually have a 30" + a 22 " plus a carryon and 2 extra EMPTY duffle bags. 2 people, 7 days. The empty duffle bags USED to hold the liquor, gifts and other goodies bought in port. Now I just bring empty suitcases and buy new clothes at the ports!!!! :shock: