Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Passenger

Default Suitcase Size

Okay I'm in the market for a suitcase to take on my cruise. Just wondering...How big is YOUR suitcase? How many do you bring?
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

You didn't say how long a cruise and how many people, but let's assume 2 people for 7 days.

We need a 30 inch rolling one, a garment bag (with wheels) and a 20 inch rolling bag plus a tote. That should cover most everything.

The big secret with packing is mix and matching your clothes. I will only bring 3 pairs of pants, for instance, for a 7 night cruise.

Finally, we did the 15 night Hawaii cruise this January, but I just packed for 7 days and did laundry. Funny enough, I only needed to wash under clothes, socks, and daytime clothes. All the night stuff was still fresh.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old December 30th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Captain

We take 2 -22" rollaboards for any cruise up to 3 wks

The next cruise is 32 days so I am adding an extra suitcase 1 -26" so I have room for "STUFF"
One case will be lightly packed
Old December 30th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I can manage for a 7 night cruise with my 26" pullman and sometimes an additional garment bag and of course a carry-on.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 31st, 2006, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Suitcase Size

zuccini,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Okay I'm in the market for a suitcase to take on my cruise. Just wondering...How big is YOUR suitcase? How many do you bring?
I usually check a 26" roller back "two suiter" and a 22" roller back "pilot's case," then carry on a briefcase and sometimes a computer bag or a small backpack. This combination is adequate even for sixteen or seventeen nights (the packing list for a cruise of fourteen nights plus three additional "casual" changes of clothes for a pre-cruise stay) on a cruise line that still holds both "formal" and "informal" evenings.

The cruise lines do not impose any restrictions of real consequence on the size or weight of your luggage, but you need to pay very close attentoin to your airline's regulations if you are flying to your ship. Most airlines now allow two suitcases weighing not more than fifty (50) pounds each wihout additional charge. A suitcase weighing eighty pounds will cost you $100 per airline check-in, but two suitcases weighing forty-five pounds each are included in your ticket. The clear message from the airlines is to bring two smaller pieces rather than one big piece.

If you are taking a film camera, be sure to pack all of your film in your carry-on luggage. The xray equipment that the TSA now uses to scan checked luggage will expose photographic film contained therein.

Norm.
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Yeoman

I usually have a 30" + a 22 " plus a carryon and 2 extra EMPTY duffle bags. 2 people, 7 days. The empty duffle bags USED to hold the liquor, gifts and other goodies bought in port. Now I just bring empty suitcases and buy new clothes at the ports!!!!