Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to lonnie2086
Default Tuxedo?

Hey im cruising with my friends in June and the guys and I were thinking of gettin buying tuxedos for formal night instaed of the typical suit. We are all 21 years years old. Should we go for the tux or stick to the suit?

-Lonnie-

Carnival Miracle 6/4/07!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Lonnie, first i would like to compliment you and your gentlemen friends for even considering tuxedos!
If this cruise is a one-time thing then i would either rent a tux or go with the suit. If you are planning on cruising again and again then i would think about buying a classic-styled tux.
A basic tux rental for a cruise will generally run around $100.00 for a 7-day cruise.
You will not feel out of place either way
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Have to agree with Lisa. One more thing to consider, will you use the tux after the cruise? If you can answer yes then go for it. You can even go a bit funky and get a printed vest and tie.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Lonnie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hey im cruising with my friends in June and the guys and I were thinking of gettin buying tuxedos for formal night instaed of the typical suit. We are all 21 years years old. Should we go for the tux or stick to the suit?
A "tuxedo" is certainly appropriate for the "formal" evenings on any cruise ship. Since you are going to a warm climate, though, you might want to consider a white or pastel dinner jacket instead. Most "tuxedo" shops also carry white dinner jackets. (This might seem like splitting hairs, but a "tuxedo" actually is a black dinner jacket of a specific style. It takes its name from the Tuxedo Club in New York, where it was first worn.)

Norm.
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think your making a great choice wearing a tux over just a common suit. It makes the cruise and the evening feel so much like a special event. On top of that, you'll look great.

There are pros and cons with renting and buying.

Renting pros: Cheaper if only needed once, nothing to pack and you'll look spiffy.

Renting cons: Rental tuxes are heavy and stiff, the tux may be ill-fitted, you have nothing for your money when done.

Buying pros: 2-3 rentals will cost more than purchasing a reasonable tux. You will have an excellent fit, the tux is lighter and much more comfortable, you can get a style that best suits your build, you'll still have the tux for that special night on the town or new years party or next cruise and you'll look smashing.

Buying cons: More expensive in the short term, you'll have to pack it and possibly have it pressed on the ship, you'll have to buy shoes and other accessories and you may never wear it again.

I personally have chosen to purchase my own formal wear for several reasons. I think a retail tux is much more comfortable than a rental tux. I am not a "standard" size and rentals rarely fit well. We cruise frequently. We have a few other occaisions throughout the year where formal dress is required. For me, it just makes sense to own.

If this is the only time you will ever wear it, by all means rent it.

Here is some more info that may help:
http://www.buy4lesstuxedo.com/Buying_vs_Rent.html
http://www.ezilon.com/information/article_15695.shtml

Hope it helps.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Admiral

We were on the Volendam from Vancouver BC to Ft Lauderdale ,during this
time very few men wore a Tux. Most wore a nice dark or black suit with a dress shirt and tie. On semi formal most men wore a sport jacket or their
outfit from the formal night. Casual night was relaxed but"NO JEAN'S or SHORTS were allowed". This also applied to the buffet dinner.

javascript:emoticon('')
Rolling Eyes

javascript:emoticon('')
Laughing
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rent on-board. Makes for great, memorable photos. Even my 5-year-old wore his tuxedo! (and caused quite a stir - but made our family photos spectacular!) Only buy if you are going to wear about 3-4 times a year. Styles change!
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:49 PM
Admiral

honeywell,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Rent on-board. Makes for great, memorable photos. Even my 5-year-old wore his tuxedo! (and caused quite a stir - but made our family photos spectacular!) Only buy if you are going to wear about 3-4 times a year. Styles change!
I disagree. If you buy a classic style of formalwear, it does not grow obsolete and the second cruise or other wearing recovers the full purchase price.

Norm.
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Admiral

Tux!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Passenger

Default Definitely wear a tux!

My hubby purchased a tux from a tuxedo rental company for $99. They have sales once a year to make room for the new styles. It's not brand new but it still looks good. He's worn it at least 10 times, so it was really worth buying it.

He also bought a patterned vest and tie that he wears one night and then wears the basic black cumberbund and black bowtie the other night.

Rysia
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Default Definitely wear a tux!

My hubby purchased a tux from a tuxedo rental company for $99. They have sales once a year to make room for the new styles. It's not brand new but it still looks good. He's worn it at least 10 times, so it was really worth buying it.

He also bought a patterned vest and tie that he wears one night and then wears the basic black cumberbund and black bowtie the other night.

Rysia
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:27 PM
Passenger

As others have said ,buy one if you are going to cruise more than once (and once you cruise once ....well....there's a very good chance you'll be back!).

I also have to agree that classic formal wear does not go out of style , yes the bright colored accessories from the 80's have come and gone but the classic black , or even charcoal tux lives on.
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

try Ebay. I have bought my sons and husband new ones for about the same price as we could have rented. We bought classic tuxs that do not go out of style.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Admiral

I bought my tux used and it still looks spiffy.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM
Passenger

Default Tuxedo's

Try Burlington Coat Factory, if there is one near where you live, they have wonderful buys on Tuxedo's along with formal pleated shirts and bow ties. We got my DH's there 4 years ago then 2 years ago purchased a White Dinner Jacket at Sear's. Never been sorry we purchased either one.......
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Default Tux

Would look even spiffier with a Texas Star stud and cufflink set, a Stetson and some decent boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
I bought my tux used and it still looks spiffy.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas