Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Passenger

Default Discard as you go

"Discard as you go" is my motto. I take older or outdated clothes to wear when on vacation and discard when they have served their purpose. I'm sure all of you have clothes destined for the thrift store. Ragged or faded undergarments are ready for the trash anyway, right? Why would you really want to spend your time during or after your cruise washing out dirty underwear or laundry!?!

To everybody on the cruise, you are wearing new things for the first time and they will probably never see you again anyway!

More room for new things and and little or no laundry when you get back home! What better way to enjoy coming home!
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Beaudixie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
"Discard as you go" is my motto. I take older or outdated clothes to wear when on vacation and discard when they have served their purpose. I'm sure all of you have clothes destined for the thrift store. Ragged or faded undergarments are ready for the trash anyway, right? Why would you really want to spend your time during or after your cruise washing out dirty underwear or laundry!?!

To everybody on the cruise, you are wearing new things for the first time and they will probably never see you again anyway!

More room for new things and and little or no laundry when you get back home! What better way to enjoy coming home!
That's certainly one way to make room for souvenirs!

Norm.
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Admiral

hmmm, interesting point to ponder. I can see your logic about packing say some older faded t-shirts to wear in port, snorkeling or around the pool and then leaving those behind. I wouldn't wear anything ratty, tattered or torn
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Passenger

Oh, I don't ever take ratty stuff either, it's usually just things I don't wear anymore. The undergarments or socks are usually the ones that elasctic is streatched, have a hole on one side where my toe rubs or has been washed with something red (undergarments, not the socks). As long as they're clean and comfortable who is ever going to see them.
I usually go through my closet before a trip and pull out clothes that I never seem to wear, the things I wonder really why I ever bought in the first place or like you said, some older t-shirts that need to be replaced with new ones from that exotic port I'll be visiting.

When I travel somewhere other than cruises, especially if I have a washer and dryer, like a house or condo; I wash up the best stuff (never underwear or socks and drop them off by a thrift store. Some of the things I donate have only been worn once so that way I also feel like I'm giving something back when I travel.

Needless to say it does give more room for all the souvenirs without buying another needless tote bag or suitcase just to get home!
Think about it...new clean stuff when you get home instead of laundry?
You're gonna buy those t-shirts, fresh new socks and underwear anyway!
Have a safe and wonderful trip, where ever you go.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudixie
As long as they're clean and comfortable who is ever going to see them.

You're gonna buy those t-shirts, fresh new socks and underwear anyway!
Have a safe and wonderful trip, where ever you go.
I'M gonna see them!! I usually buy some new things to TAKE on vacation and save them until I'm actually there to wear them. I plan on being on some fun excursions that don't include underwear or sock buying. Not all places would have that stuff readily available either.

I can just see the dh's face when I told him that I wanted to spend my time SOCK shopping at the ports!

Nope - gonna take all my pretties with me. I'm certain dh is going to thank for for that!

Kim
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Passenger

DUH, I didn't mean go shopping for socks and underwear while you're ON vacation; buy them when you get back home and not have to lug them back... Don't know about your situation, but about 5 minutes is all my hubby needs to see me "IN" THE PRETTIES! I go on vacation to have a good time; not to spend time trying to impress everybody.
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't need to impress everybody or anybody either. But I just like to wear my pretties when I go on vacation and can't imagine wearing worn out, shabby things at any time, let alone when I'm away.

Each to their own, I suppose. Your way does cut down on the luggage to be sure.

Kim