Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Beginner

Default Alaska packing question...7 day cruise but month vacation!

My husband and I are taking the Sun Princess cruise on June 10 to Alaska. We are planning on leaving the St. Louis area around June 3 and driving to Seattle for departure. We are taking a northern route through Yellowstone, etc. When the cruise returns to port on the 17th we are driving south through California and then heading back east through the desert before heading back home.

Our big dilemmas include how to pack for this vacation of various seasons and parking questions. We will be leaving our vehicle in the parking that the cruise line has recommended. Does anyone have any info on that? Is it secure parking? Can we leave our "other vacation" bags in the vehicle?

We were tentatively planning on packing two separate types of bags. One set for the casual and possibly very warm part of our trip before and after the cruise and one set exclusively for the cruise.

Any suggestions on this would be most welcome!! Thanks so much...144 days and counting!
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska packing question...7 day cruise but month vacatio

sldavis66,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My husband and I are taking the Sun Princess cruise on June 10 to Alaska. We are planning on leaving the St. Louis area around June 3 and driving to Seattle for departure. We are taking a northern route through Yellowstone, etc. When the cruise returns to port on the 17th we are driving south through California and then heading back east through the desert before heading back home.
Wow! That sounds like a fantastic vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Our big dilemmas include how to pack for this vacation of various seasons and parking questions. We will be leaving our vehicle in the parking that the cruise line has recommended. Does anyone have any info on that? Is it secure parking? Can we leave our "other vacation" bags in the vehicle?

We were tentatively planning on packing two separate types of bags. One set for the casual and possibly very warm part of our trip before and after the cruise and one set exclusively for the cruise.
I would say that leaving the things that you won't need during the cruise in your vehicle is the only practical solution. I would suggest leaving your belongings in the trunk or its equivalent, where they will be out of sight, rather than in the passenger area where they will be in plain sight. Nonetheless, I would strongly advise against leaving your vehicle anyplace where things within would not be secure.

I honestly don't know the "lay of the land" around Seattle's cruise terminal, so I cannot advise you as to where to park. I do know that there are some areas on Seattle's waterfront where it would not be prudent to leave a vehicle, but I don't know whether the cruise terminal is in one of those areas. I also don't know what parking may or may not be available at or near the cruise terminal or how secure it might be. Nonetheless, there probably is a garage or lot with decent security somewhere in the vicinity that would rent you a space for the duration of the cruise. If push comes to shove, you could park in one of the lots by Seattle-Tacoma International Airport ("SeaTac" in local parlance) and take a cab to the pier but that option would not be inexpensive because the airport is a good distance from downtown.

Have a fabulous vacation!

Norm.
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree with Norm on leaving your unneeded items in your vehicle. The parking garage is directly accross the street from the pier and is accessible via street or overhead walkway.

In 2005 the price was $12.00/day.

Here is a link to the Port of Seattle Port Parking Information. Princess uses Pier 30 for most of their ships.

Port Of Seattle Cruise Parking Information

Have a great cruise and vacation.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me