Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Default cold traveling to cruise

It's supposed to be 19 degrees when we leave home (maybe snowing). How do you dress so as to not take too much you don't want on the cruise?
Thanks,
Tammy
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Layers! And, if possible, have someone take you to and from airport, so you can give them your heavy duty coat, gloves, etc. before you get on the plane. Once you're in the airport, You'll be warm enough until you arrive.
I have reverse problem...live in Florida, familyup north. They meet me at airport with parka, et.al.
Marty
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Tammy,

It's supposed to be 19 degrees when we leave home (maybe snowing). How do you dress so as to not take too much you don't want on the cruise?

I wear a short winter jacket, gloves, and hat to the airport, but I bring a small backpack with enough "extra" space to carry the jacket. When I get into the terminal, I take the jacket, gloves, and hat off, fold them neatly, and put them into the backpack -- where they basically stay for the duration of the cruise. When I return to the airport after the cruise, I take them out of the backpack while waiting for my luggage.

Norm.
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Norm's method is a good one. Mine is to use curb side check in, if it's a slow period and then park the car in the airport parking garage. If it is too congested then we proceed directly to the airport parking garage at the Minneapolis airport. It is covered and we park as close the skyway as we can. We leave the coats in the car and tough it out for the short time until we are in the heated area. We usually don't have too much luggage that we can't handle on our own.

On the way back we get our luggage and go back to the car, remote start it and let it warm up while we wait for a for a few minutes. After a few minutes, off we go. If it's relatively warm we just get in the car and go. It tells us that vacation is over.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our youngest son usually drives us to the airport (15 min away) in our own van and drops us off at the curb. We can get out, get our luggage and go right into the terminal.
Layering is definitely the answer. We each wear a sweatshirt under a light jacket--no winter coat, hat or gloves. When we get picked up we watch for the car to come to the curb and go right out, help load the luggage and get in. The heat is on and the van is toasty. Of course, this is Dayton OH, not a huge metro area and vehicles are allowed to drive right up to the doors.
Sometimes a different son picks us up and he has a cell phone to call us with his ETA, so we can better determine how soon to go out to the curb.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
Admiral

totally agree with the others, dress in layers, i usually wear mid-weight sweat pants, t-shirt and a zip-front sweatshirt. We use valet parking at the airport, so the heavy jackets get left in the trunk