Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Passenger

Default fitting into your dress tips

Our tour told us if we get snowed in they could fly us to the first port but we would miss the 1st formal night. So, then I would really, really want to wear the formal dress I bought on the last formal night after we've eaten good stuff all week.
Any real tips or funny stories would be appreciated. The thought crossed my mind of making a duct tape corset. I'm already going to wear a shaper.
Thanks,
Tammy
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: fitting into your dress tips

Tammy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Our tour told us if we get snowed in they could fly us to the first port but we would miss the 1st formal night. So, then I would really, really want to wear the formal dress I bought on the last formal night after we've eaten good stuff all week.
Any real tips or funny stories would be appreciated. The thought crossed my mind of making a duct tape corset. I'm already going to wear a shaper.
I'll let you in on a little secret. There are two ways of going between decks on a cruise ship -- ladders (that's the nautical term for anything with a series of steps between two levels, including what landlubbers would call a "stairway") and lifts. Now, the lifts on most cruise ships have microscopic jets that inject atomized fat into the bodies of everybody who rides them. If you want to fit into your form-fitted dress at the end of the cruise, you will need to stay off of those contraptions! Use the ladders to go between decks instead.

BTW, contrary to popular myth, the food on most cruise ships is seldom the cause of gaining weight. Yes, the cruise lines do serve five course dinners, but they serve proper portions of each course rather than the double or triple portions that most restaurants here in North America now serve. If you eat sensibly, which is not particularly difficult, and stay off the lifts, you probably won't have much problem with "sea swell" (weight gained during a cruise and lost fairly quickly upon reversion to one's normal lifestyle). In fact, I often lose a couple pounds during a cruise, in spite of eating five courses for dinner many evenings!

Norm.
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Love it, Norm. Never knew those elevators were injecting fat. Now I know the real reason I do gain a bit every cruise. Used to be healthy and did stairs mostly because I didn't want to stand around waiting for the lift. Now I can't. But, at least I know the risks!

Marty
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Admiral

There is a funny thread on cruise dress about hockey tape.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Passenger

Default DRESS FITTINGS

HI MEHAWK,

Thanks for your replies...I noticeded that you have two upcomming cruises booked.....have you ever been on a extended one...say around 64 days???
What I have been trying to find out is anyone that might have cruised the FAR EAST AND DOWNUNDER......RE land tour optionals....so far no success...

THANKS

KODI
Old February 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Admiral

No, I have only done 7 days at the most. I am looking at getting onto the 3C's on the Carnival Freedom which is a 14 day one.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Passenger

I've got good news & bad news. The good news is I fit into my dress both formal nights! The bad news is I gained maybe 3 lbs & some inches. Maybe my muscle turned into fat. lol I could tell the pants I wore to the cruise & on the plane home were much tighter. I was surprised that I didn't show more weight gain. I injured a muscle in my thigh somehow & couldn't walk fast or go up & down the stairs as much as I'd intended. But it's hard to believe all the eating I did, didn't create more of a problem. :o I ate as much of everything as I wanted. My husband says with all that free food you just feel like you have to help eat it.
Tammy