Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Default More on formal nights

Hello everybody

We have never taken a cruise before but would love to except for one thing. We don't do formal

We have just sold our house (in Australia) and are going to spend the next few years travelling around and around the world. To start, we're going to use airline points to get us to USA then maybe a last minute curise to Europe, which is a very economical way of travelling (transport and two weeks accommodation/food/entertainment). Apart from a few things being left in storage, everything we own will be in two suitcases, which means we will have nothing that we consider not to be vital. One set of formal clothing for emergencies is all we are allowing ourselves.

My question is, can we get away without the formal nights? Is it possible to eat in a buffet restaurant those nights, or I suppose have a very late lunch to see us through to the next morning?

Thanks in advance for any help

Tricia
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Admiral

You can always eat in the buffet on formal nights if you so choose.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Paul is correct.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You may want to re-think getting dressed up, going to dinner in the dining room on formal evenings is one of the highlights of cruising. You'll almost always find a really good menu that evening, plus its fun and everyone enjoys it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:19 PM
First Mate

Tricia,

How fun...traveling the world! Since you're planning on coming to the US, you might be interested in some of the repositioning cruises heading to Europe in the spring. Unfortunately, we just got back from a cruise with the whole family (me, dh and 6 kiddos), so we're not going to have the funds to take advantage this season, but next year is our 25 wedding anniversary and I know what I want to do!!!

I found some great deals -
13-night repositioning, from Miami to Dover UK. From $839, April 26, 2007 sailing

13-night eastbound Transatlantic, Miami to Amsterdam. From $839, April 26 sailing.

13-night eastbound Transatlantic, Galveston to Barcelona. From $499, April 23 sailing.

You can do an internet search for repositioning cruises or put in more specific info with destinations listed and see what comes up. I found all of the above at frommers.com

Since you don't need to pay airfare to get back, these are FANTASTIC deals if it fits into your time frame! I've only been on two cruises so far, but it's the ONLY way to go!

Have a wonderful time and keep us posted on your travels.

Margaret

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Default Re: More on formal nights

Tricia,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hello everybody

We have never taken a cruise before but would love to except for one thing. We don't do formal

We have just sold our house (in Australia) and are going to spend the next few years travelling around and around the world. To start, we're going to use airline points to get us to USA then maybe a last minute curise to Europe, which is a very economical way of travelling (transport and two weeks accommodation/food/entertainment). Apart from a few things being left in storage, everything we own will be in two suitcases, which means we will have nothing that we consider not to be vital. One set of formal clothing for emergencies is all we are allowing ourselves.

My question is, can we get away without the formal nights? Is it possible to eat in a buffet restaurant those nights, or I suppose have a very late lunch to see us through to the next morning?

Thanks in advance for any help
Well, you can "get away with" a lot of things, but at what price?

>> Most cruise lines do have some sort of alternative casual dining, but the details actually vary from cruise line to cruise line. On some cruise lines, this means a dinner buffet rather than full service. On others (Celebrity, for example), there's full table service in the seating area for the buffet but with a more limited menu than that of the main dining room and a surcharge that's basically a gratuity for the servers.

>> The real problem with not dressing for the "formal" evenings is that entertainment options are pretty limited on many cruise lines because the evening dress code applies throughout the ship -- including the theater or showroom and all bars and lounges -- except for designated casual areas. On some cruise lines, you might find that your only entertainment is reruns of old movies and television programs on the television in your cabin.

And, as Donna mentioned, the "formal" evenings are the evenings when the cruise lines really pull out all the stops with the best cuisine, the best shows, etc. If you don't participate, you really do miss out on a great time.

That said, you stated that you are bringing a set of formal clothing. On most cruise lines, nobody will care if you wear the same dress and your husband wears the same suit on all of the "formal" evenings. You might want to bring three or four sets of neclaces and earrings to give your dress a somewhat different look for each of the "formal" evenings and three or four neckties for your husband. A couple extra sets of "bling" and a couple neckties will not take enough space to say so in your luggage. (Or, if it's easier, your huaband can rent formalwear through the cruise line.)

Norm.
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Tricia - the best option for you would be for the both of you to rent your formal wear. Men can rent tuxedos and the ladies can rent long skirts with dressy blouses. No packing worries. That way you can go on any cruise line that you choose
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Passenger

Default FORMAL DRESS

HI,

Still on the same subject....re the formal nights...have cruised before, when average cruise had two formal nights.....this time I will be sailing for 64 days.....any guesses as to how many formal nights that will involve??

THANKS

KODI
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Admiral

If you don't want to rent a tux or gown, you could go to a used outlet and get one very inexpensively.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
If you don't want to rent a tux or gown, you could go to a used outlet and get one very inexpensively.
Depending on when you are going. If you are going after the prom season all of the dresses go sale. I bought one last year for less than $20 that was originally priced at over $100. Hope that helps, Carla
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rfujitani

I was just looking at the response that lifeisschool gave, and I was wondering, what is a repositioning cruise?

Those deals she listed seemd like really great deals, especially the Galveston to Barcelona. If I had the time, I think I'd much rather cruise to Europe than fly!

Ryan in LA
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Ryan,
Yes, those repo cruises are good deals if you have the extra time. You'll find them in the spring and fall when the ships have to change their itinary and are either going to Alaska or comming back from.

Hope one will fit into your schedule.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Passenger

Default FORMAL NIGHTS

HI,

Re the formal nights....a few of you miss read the question....it wasn't where to buy formal wear,.....the question was the NUMBER of formal nights on a cruise that is 64 DAYS long......

THANKS,

KODI
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Admiral

KODI,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Re the formal nights....a few of you miss read the question....it wasn't where to buy formal wear,.....the question was the NUMBER of formal nights on a cruise that is 64 DAYS long......
The number of "formal" evenings on a cruise of any duration depends upon the cruise line and, in some cases, the destination. Some cruise lines, including Oceana and Disney, never have any "formal" evenings at all.

That said, most cruise lines would break a long itinerary (64 nights) into shorter segments of about ten to fourteen nights each and offer each segment for sale separately, in addition to selling the whole itinerary as a package. When the cruise lines do this, the shorter cruises dictate the scheduling of "formal" evenings. Realistically, this means that passengers on very long cruises need to plan for about two "formal" evenings per week on most lines. Note that it will not be feasible to bring a different "formal" outfit for every "formal" evening of the cruise.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Admiral

KODI - you still haven't been able to find out how many formal nights on your long cruise yet? Did you call HAL direct, not the reservations number, but customer service? Did you call a travel agent and ask?
Question- is this one long cruise or a series of back-to-back cruises? that will make a difference in the number of formal nights.
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Tricia,
A lot also depends on which cruise line you choose. The more expensive lines do have stricter dress codes for formal nights, but others leave a lot of latitude in your choices and also do not insist on formal wear for that nights' entertainment.
A long black skirt and a couple of dressy tops can take ypu through the formal nights on almost any cruise, though.
Try to work those formal nights in. The food in the dining room will be its best on those nights.
Marty
P.S. Smuggle me along and I'll bring the formal wear for all of us.
Just wishing here.
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Passenger

Default FORMAL NIGHTS

HI LISKA AND TRICA,

Yes the cruise that I'm taking is 64 conscutive days.....and it is with HOLLAND AMERICA.....thanks for your input...

KODI
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Admiral

I did the math and came up with 18 formal nights for a 64 day cruise.

64 days/a "regular" 7 day cruise is 9 days. With two formal days per week there would be 18 formal nights.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014