Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to courtnik82 Send a message via MSN to courtnik82 Send a message via Yahoo to courtnik82
Default Packing a bag to take on excursions? Recommendations please!

We are going to be in Freeport for 9 hours, and then Nassau for 24 hours (Bahamas). What do most of you do, or recommend, that I carry with me? Should I take a tote-size bag to carry things in? A back pack? What all should we take ashore with us? I know we will need money obviously, and since we are going on a jeep adventure and it recommended towel, etc, I will need something for that, and probably a change of clothes. But do most people carry something small or what? Also, do you recommend leaving passports on ship? Reason I ask is if something were to happen and you'd miss the ship, what would you do without your passport...

Also, if you do have a bag/wallet with you, what should ya do with it when you are swimming in th ocean? I'd hate to leave it on the sand so that someone coudl take my credit card, cash, etc!

Thanks for the help!! We leave in 2 1/2 weeks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Either a tote bag or back pack works well and just take what you need for the day and enough cash for the day. If you are doing a shore excursion, take a towel or whatever is needed. Its a good idea to bring along a water camera for days at the beach instead of bringing an expensive camera. Always take your sign/sail card so you can get off the ship and back on.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Admiral

I have used both. The tote bag was brightly colored so I wouldn't leave/lose it. The back pack was handy when I went horseback riding.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Admiral

either a beach tote or backpack would work just fine. Take only the basic essentials for the day(Sunscreen, camera, water, towel for beach etc) Do not take your passport, leave it in the safe in your stateroom. It is advised to make a photocopy of the first page of your passport and carry that with you. Always take your sign and sail card, drivers license and a credit card for any large ticket purchases.
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Passenger

ah yes what to do with cash/cards when you want to swim... i go on a lot of snorkeling vacations and my advice to you is to try a local sporting goods store to look for a water proof case made specifically for such things. they come in a variety of styles... the last one i got was perfectly sized just for credit cards and some cash. they have attachments so you can tie them onto you and take them right into the water. they also float just in case you were to lose it (which you shouldn't but just some extra peace of mind). if you can't find a store that carries them try online... maybe lands end? they usually sell them at beach resort areas too although i wouldn't wait until i got there you have better things to do at port...
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Hi,
I had posted this some time ago...took me awhile to find it. Don't know if it will help you or not.
Marty

I hate spending time and energy looking for stuff while on vacation, so I pack a port day bag at home. Then, I can just drop it into whatever bag or backpack I take into port. I buy or create as many mini-sized things beforehand. The port bag has:

Insect repellant towelettes
Sunscreen
Mini toilet paper pack
Small first aid kit with bandaids and alcohol prep packs
Small supply of my most critical medications
Protein bar
Water bottle that I fill up with juice from the Lido
Collapsible sunhat
Disposable rainproof poncho
Rubber bands for getting my longish hair up off my neck

I'm sure that everyone has different things they might put into this, but these are my basics. OH NO...I almost forgot...my camera!
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Passenger

LisaK mentioned in an earlier post to leave your passport on board. Does that still hold true with all the recent changes? We will be in San Juan, St. Thomas, and Tortola....do we need our passports or a copy? Thanks so much for all your help?
Carla 8)

travel makes life fun!
our ship sails 6/12/07 for Eastern Caribbean
Hawaii, Diamond Princess 3/17/08
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Previous to the current Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) I strongly believe it is a good idea to take your passport with you when you leave the ship and keep it on your person.

For any official use, a photocopy of your passport is as good as the paper it is printed on. If for any reason you miss the ship and need to fly to another destination or return home you will need the original passport or wait an extended time for a replacement or temporary passport to be created. The photocopy may help because it does have your passport number on it but it won't work to cash a check, or get you on an airplane.

You should ALWAYS take the name, phone number and address of the ship's agent with you when you go onshore. That number is printed in the daily program that you receive in your cabin. Copy it and take it with you.

A cruise is different than a land vacation. The hotel is not going anywhere but a cruise ship is. Keep the passport on your person and not in a backpack or tote bag.

The world is a bit different than it was two years ago.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Default What I bring

I take 3 different types of bags with me on my cruises.

1. I have a large mesh "Macys" tote/shopping bag that I purchased a few years ago for $7.99. It has been one of my best spontaneous purchases to date. It is huge with both shoulder straps and handles. It can hold some of everything and you just sling it over your shoulders and your hands are free. It is made of canvas mesh so sand, dirt, water, etc. will not be a problem. It can easily hold a towel and all of my larger necessities for a day at port. It is also handy when shopping. Everything fits in this totebag.

2. My second bag is a small nylon (perhaps 6" x 8") shoulder bag. It is used to hold my personal items like camera, money, sail & sign, credit card, sunglasses, tissues, lip gloss, etc. I purchased this from the $.99 store

3. For walking around the ship, I have a small nylon "camera bag" with a shoulder strap. I purchased it from the $.99 store a year or so ago and it is perfect for moving around the ship. It is just big enough for a disposable camera with side pockets for a lipstick and a pack of gum. There is a front sleeve perfect for holding the sail & sign card.

I do not take my passport with me when I leave the ship at the island ports. It is too valuable to take a change on losing or damaging it. I am not sure but I believe your sail & sign card will help you negotiate during times of emergency or if you miss the ship. The sail & sign indicates that your paperwork is in order and you are just having an emergency.

When I am in the water at the beach, I tend to put my smaller bag in my Macy's tote and cover the tote with my towel. I don't tend to stray too far and if I do, I only have minimal items. To be honest the Macys tote is more valuable than anything else I have with me.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to sharon83umsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Hi,
I had posted this some time ago...took me awhile to find it. Don't know if it will help you or not.
Marty

I hate spending time and energy looking for stuff while on vacation, so I pack a port day bag at home. Then, I can just drop it into whatever bag or backpack I take into port. I buy or create as many mini-sized things beforehand. The port bag has:

Insect repellant towelettes
Sunscreen
Mini toilet paper pack
Small first aid kit with bandaids and alcohol prep packs
Small supply of my most critical medications
Protein bar
Water bottle that I fill up with juice from the Lido
Collapsible sunhat
Disposable rainproof poncho
Rubber bands for getting my longish hair up off my neck

I'm sure that everyone has different things they might put into this, but these are my basics. OH NO...I almost forgot...my camera!

what a great list!!
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Thanks Sharon,
We St. Louis gals know how to do things! I'm in Florida now, but born and raised in St.L.
Cheers!
Marty