Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Passenger

Default Digital camera question

We just bought our first digital camera for our first cruise. The cruise is 14 days. We will not be able to download pictures off of a memory card until we are back home. What does one do? How many gigabytes should our memory card have?
Thanks!
Lira
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Admiral

I can't tell you about the G's but my 1G external card increased the capacity on my camera to 500+ shots. Outstanding!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Don't know what all your camera does, but on last cruise ,a 10 day, hubby had 2 - 1G cards and filled one completely and the other more than half.

If you tend to take a lot of photos (and if your camera also does movies) then I would suggest at least 2 - 1G cards. With more than one card you have a better chance at not accidentaly earasing photos.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Passenger

Yes, buy two memory cards or download photos from ship access to your c or d drives...download photos and use same memory card.
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:48 PM
First Mate

The photo bunch on the ship should be abe to burn pics from your card to a CD for you for a nominal fee.

Get a spare card. Find out what kind of card your camera takes and then go to Sams Club or Best Buy and buy as big as you can afford. Its just good to have an extra.

FYI one card for our camera held over 100 pics so dont sweat not having enough room. Going digital allows you to dump the crappy pics and keep the good ones.

Also a tip from the photo guy on our last cruise..use the camera on the max resolution all the time. Doing this allows you to manipulate them later without loosing resolution. You might want to crop a pic and if its set on low res your kind of screwed as you cant go back and make it high res after the fact.

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Admiral

I tell you what a deal is!!! Go to one of the places that has a kodak machine and place the pictures from your memory card to the compact disc... about $2.50 to have all of the pictures done and then go home and print them yourself on the printer for free.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
I tell you what a deal is!!! Go to one of the places that has a kodak machine and place the pictures from your memory card to the compact disc... about $2.50 to have all of the pictures done and then go home and print them yourself on the printer for free.
I don't know about that Michael, with ink cartridges going for $20 to $50 and photo paper ain't exactly free either. I find Kodak's 15 cents a print online a reasonable alternative to self printing.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM
First Mate

I'm going with my teenage son on our first cruise in July, and I'm bring my digital camera with both the 550 meg memory card and the same size one from my son's identical camera, plus I may buy an additional 1 gig as I'm a real camera nut. This will be a 4 nighter. I will download back at home, and burn to a cd using a cool program I bought years ago that lets you create an album then burn it to a cd to send to family, they can click on each page and it flips it over to see the next full screen photo. http://www.flipalbum.com
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Yeoman

Depends on the setting of your camera. I Have a canon powershot, setting the pixels and size to mid-range I can get 300+ shots per GB. The settings are all going to depend on how big you plan on printing these. If all you want is the 4x6 prints, the lowest size will work and you will get many more pictures per GB.

First what kind of camera is it? Secondly what kind of card does it take? I just bought a 2GB card at CC for 60 but after you mail in the rebates you get it for $15. If you keep your eyes open cards like this go on rebate all the time. Every Sunday just look at stores like Circuit City and Best Buy and you will find a great deal.

BTW Walmart prints their 4x6 for 7 or 8 cents each. Hope this helps, Carla
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
Passenger

Default Thank you

Thank you all for the very helpful, useful advice!
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Ditto most replies. A 2gb or 2 1gb memory cards should be sufficient.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Passenger

Last year we went to alaska and brought 2 1g cards. But we took so many pictures and we found that going to the ships photo section and having them download our pics did two things for us. #1 we were able to label each disk with information (ie: days 1@sea, day 2 ketchikan, etc.).
#2 We had our memory card back later that day to fill up again.
Even though I still bring my 35mm camera (for scenic shots), you can't beat the ease and convenience of a digital.
Goodluck and have a great cruise
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to sharon83umsl

I am bringing my laptop and I'll download every day or so
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Passenger

Just like Zina did, last year on our Alaska cruise two times I burned a disc with the pictures, once onbaord the ship and once in one of the towns we were in. This way I had a clean card for the next day. I would up taking over 500 pics at that time so it helped.

Mark
Big Red Boat July 1988
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Admiral

I take 2 1gig cards and it is plenty. I can get about 600 shots between the two cards. That's plenty. BTW it would be a good idea to buy a spare battery also. Keep one charged at all times.
Old April 29th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Beginner

In addition to the high gig cards, we carry a Wolverine which is a kind of external hard drive. It is slightly larger than your hand, so does not take up much space. We used it in Europe to save our photos so that we were always ready to get the great shots when opportunity presented itself. Also, I saw some 2 G SD cards at Sam's Club for a great price. They might have other formats as well. If you have time before your cruise, you can do an internet search to get the best deal on storage cards. Have a great cruise!
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Familiar Face

Default Digital camera

I had a 512 mg in my Kodak EasyShare camera when we went to Alaska and I took over 550 pictures and still had room for a few more.

Each time we travel, I fix or delete unwanted pictures on my home computer, burn a CD, and then have WalMart develop them for 12 cents a print. You can also take in the disc from your camera. A lot cheaper than trying to print hundreds at home.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM
First Mate

update: I have a new digital and will use the two 250 meg card I alread have plus I bought a 2 gig one which holds 2500 photos at the 2nd highest of 3 resolution levels. I think I can stay within 2500 photos on a 4-day cruise. That also leaves room for a bunch of short video clips. I will bring the two 250 meg cards along just in case. I decided against bringing a laptop just to have a place to download them. Since camera and cards are all new and I don't plan to go in or near the water with it, I should not have to worry about losing them.
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

My motto is be prepared. I have Canon Powsershot A540 (6MP) and took two 1GB cards with me, just in case. I set the resolution to 1600x1200 and the pics turnedout fabulous when I printed a few on 8x12 and 11x14. The rest of the pics went to 4x6 prints on my photo printeror Walmart. I printed probably 200+ of the 300 I took. I didn't get some pics because some places rushed you and you didn't have a chance to get your camera out, but next time I get back to the same place I will take the time.

One other item to note is batteries, bring extra batteries...I had EIGHT batteries with me, four rechargable and four lithium ion disposables.
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

You should have a 2 gb card. On my last one-week cruise, I had a 1 gb card filled.
Old June 19th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Familiar Face

Does airport security screeners affect digital cameras (memory cards or batteries)? On my last cruise all the film for my 35mm was ruined because I put it in my checked luggage -- none of the pictures came out right; they were all dark and/or blurry. So I've switched to digital hoping to avoid that happening again. Also, does security screeners affect iPods at all?
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Passenger

That's one of the great things about digital cameras. X-rays don't affect the memory cards or Ipods so you should be fine. I know that if you bring a laptop with you it has to be inspected by the screeners.

Enjoy!

Mark
Big Red Boat July 1988
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell in MD
Also a tip from the photo guy on our last cruise..use the camera on the max resolution all the time. Doing this allows you to manipulate them later without loosing resolution. You might want to crop a pic and if its set on low res your kind of screwed as you cant go back and make it high res after the fact.
Russell is "sort of" correct in this statement. For the average person there is no need to shoot higher than 4 -5 megapixel (2240 x 1680, 2560 x 1920) unless you are using a high end camera and optics such as i.e. a Nikon, Canon or Sony with Nikor, Canon or Minolta removable type lenses. (Bayonet or friction mount)

With new cameras if you shoot ALL pictures at 8 megapixels (3264 x 2448)you are basically wasting storage media. If you have some great scenic shots then definitely shoot at higher resolution but for most of your shots you should shoot at a lower but never the "lowest" resolution.

In regard to the original question: If you are not going to offload the storage media then you will need at least two 1 GB memory cards. If you begin to run out of space then "edit" your shots and remove the shots and movies that you can see, by using the review feature of the camera, any shots you know will not be used.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Admiral

On our last trip thru the Panama Canal , we used up 2 1gb cards.
I look for good buys on 2GB cards for ny camera. Certain types of memory cards don't go above 512mb (CF cards) , some go up to 4 GB.
Most mid to low end camera will not us a 4GB card.

My 512MB CF card stores 500 pictures on high res and 1500 on low res.

The card in my 6MP camera stores about the same on a 1GB SD Card.

So from experience it mostly depends on the camera and resolution.javascript:emoticon('')
Laughing

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:34 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

This board was great and so helpful. I've sat here resetting my cameras. I hope I get some great shots on my/our 10/13 cruise....

Old October 8th, 2007, 01:43 AM
First Mate

First cruise comments re pictures. If this is your first cruise and you have any thoughts of creating a dvd, scrapbook, digital scrapbook or even just a photo album when you get back, take pictures even now (I hope you haven't cruised yet). Take some photos of your documents, your airline tickets, your pre cruise sessions, your packing, maybe even trying on what you want to wear for the cruise and be sure to keep all of those things that you don't think are important during the cruise, ask for extra copies of Carnival Capers or whatever the equal is from other cruise lines, napkins, matches, etc. and, most importantly, either use your timer on your camera or ask people to take pictures of you together, with your table mates, your room steward, your host and his/her assistant, the bar person, your bartender poolside, etc. etc. If you see something funny happening deckside such as friends trying to make the towel animals after a class, take a picture of them and more importantly, see if they would like a picture taken of them with their camera. I did this with two lady friends who had just finished the class and they were thrilled. It was too funny watching them practice what they had just learned.

Also to save time, print business cards with your first names and email address so that you can exchange contact info with your tablemates or new cruise friends. Use online photo album services such as Kodak, Walmart, etc. They are so much cheaper than trying to print your own photos at home! Save the printing at home for the photos that you need to do special things with, such as crop, add effects, etc....

Old October 8th, 2007, 01:56 AM
First Mate

Default Digital Camera Qustion -

How do you get your digital photos to upload at the lower resolution or is that controlled by the setting on your camera... just want to doublecheck.

Old October 8th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Admiral

The picture resolution is controlled by the camera.

A memory card can be used to mix & match the resolution you

need when taking pictures.

Don't know what brand of camera. Your manual should tell

you how to change camera resolution.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old November 9th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Beginner

My camera has a video function (most of them do these days) and that REALLY eats up memory. I've been taking more and more videos lately, so I'm bringing a 1g and 2 2g cards with us when we go on our 7 day the end of this month. Also bringing the laptop, so if things start getting filled up, I'll just download to the laptop and start over!
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Digital camera question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lira
We just bought our first digital camera for our first cruise. The cruise is 14 days. We will not be able to download pictures off of a memory card until we are back home. What does one do? How many gigabytes should our memory card have?
Thanks!
Lira
Since this is your first digital camera and I'm a photography teacher, I'm going to first give you some advice unrelated to your question: Do not wait until you're on the ship to start shooting digital pictures. There's a learning curve attached to any camera, but the jump from film to digital takes a little time. Don't get me wrong, digital is great, and I love it -- but you'll need a little practice. Be sure to shoot some pictures around the house (and get them developed!) before the cruise. If you mess up pictures of your cat, it's okay. If you mess up pictures of your cruise . . . well, that's not okay.

Now, here are the questions: How many megapixels is your camera and at what resolution will you shoot?

If I have a 2G memory card, it will take about 800 pictures in my little point-and-shoot Fuji . . . on the other hand, it will take only about 400 with my digital Cannon Rebel. Obviously, the quality is much higher with the Rebel. Check out this website for an approximate number of photos that can be held on various sized cards: http://www.digicamhelp.com/accessori...s/capacity.php . For example, if your camera is a 6 Mega-pixel camera, you can put 320 photos on a 1G card.

If we're talking about an average point-and-shoot camera, I'd say buy two 1G or 2G cards. Of course, you should also ask yourself whether you're using this new camera JUST on the ship or whether you're taking it onto the beaches, etc. I tend to buy Fuji disposables for beach days because I don't want to risk my good camera in the sand, and I don't want to have to watch it constantly.

You'll be surprised that you won't have as many photographs as you would've had with your old film camera; you'll delete the eyes-closed photos, etc. and you'll not find yourself taking unwanted pictures just to use up the tail end of the film. The result is that you'll have ALL GOOD PHOTOGRAPHS!

Now, let's talk about resolution. Your camera probably has the ability to shoot in various "speeds" or various resolutions. This means the quality in which you choose to shoot. In general, I shoot in the highest possible resolution; that means that my photos can be enlarged without loss of quality. On the other hand, if I'm taking pictures of things to put on ebay, I use the lowest possible resolution. Why? Because low-res images load faster onto people's computers and image quality isn't crutial.

One more thing about which new digital folks never ask: Don't just choose a digital memory card SIZE, also choose a SPEED. The card'll say something like 2G (and in smaller type) x10 or x40 -- or sometimes it says professional. You want the fastest possible card. Why? Because one of the problems with digital photography is "recovery time"; this is the length of time necessary for a digital camera to take a picture, store it to the digital card, and prepare to take a second photo. The faster your card/camera combination can "rebound", the faster you can take another picture; this matters a great deal if you plan to take sports pictures, not so much if you're just taking shots around the Christmas tree. Also, a faster card will upload to your computer (or the developer) more quickly. If you're like me, and you order hundreds of photos at once, this matters!

Name brand isn't an issue. I have all of them, and I cannot see a difference. I buy many of my cards off ebay (brand new), and I like Lexar or SanDisk.

Good luck with your new digital camera! I haven't bought film in years.