Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Admiral

dear cruisingfrompa, although we appreciate your opinions and comments please be aware of how you phrase them. Negative personal comments and "bashing" of any kind is not allowed on this site and it will not be tolerated
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Actually, you can wear your jean shorts during the day, even in the dining rooms for breakfast and lunch, just not dinner.

Every cruiseline brochure clearly states the dress codes and if you choose not to follow them, there is the alternate restaurants/buffet or a different kind of vacation all together. You will notice that on formal evenings, just about everyone is dressed up and enjoying the evening.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
dear cruisingfrompa, although we appreciate your opinions and comments please be aware of how you phrase them. Negative personal comments and "bashing" of any kind is not allowed on this site and it will not be tolerated
I am sorry didnt want to affend any one but i feel threaten by all this so i will leave it at that i thought i would just say thanks for all your input and i will still be cruisng on carnival this summer and I will leave it at that.
PS Have A Good Dayy toall
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Passenger

Just wanted to throw this in....
I was the one that started this post, and I stressed about what to wear for months before the cruise.
I just got home from my cruise on Saturday, March 24, on the Carnival Fantasy -
JEANS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES EVEN IN THE DINING ROOM. I even saw 2 pair on formal night along with some girls in pretty dresses with FLIP FLOPS! And they were not turned away, or frowned upon that I noticed.
And the only reason it bothered me, was because I stressed about it for so long, and packed way to much "dressy" clothes, and I didn't need to!!
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Jene,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I was the one that started this post, and I stressed about what to wear for months before the cruise.
JEANS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES EVEN IN THE DINING ROOM. I even saw 2 pair on formal night along with some girls in pretty dresses with FLIP FLOPS! And they were not turned away, or frowned upon that I noticed.
And the only reason it bothered me, was because I stressed about it for so long, and packed way to much "dressy" clothes, and I didn't need to!!
The fact that a few socially clueless boors may get away with showing up in the dining room with jeans even on a "formal" evening does not mean that it's acceptable to do so. Rather, the norms of social etiquette dictate that one is to wear the attire prescribed by the host -- that is, aboard a cruise ship, the master of the vessel.

Of course, the cruise lines also really should enforce their published standards of dress....

Norm.
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jene
thanks for your info it will help me when i pack for my cruise i am just glad you all had a great time that is what it is really about.
i know now i will be packing my lee brand casual jeans for dinner attire. i love them they are so relaxing and make me feel good about my self.
Plus they do say right on them lee casual wear and they are tailored like a pr of dress pants but are made out of a light weight denim material and they are dark black in color.
cant wait to see your pictures.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Passenger

Default checking out web sites today look what i found

check out the web sites for oldnavy.com and for american eagle.com go into mens or womeans apparel and you will see that they have caro pants and dress style jeans to wear . I searched on walmarts web site and found they have mens wrangler jeans in pleated style pants for under 16..00 if any one is interested thought i let you all know that by searching you can finnd things at a reasonable price an in a nice style way.
have a great day you all
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Beginner

I understand the khakis, but what about for children, especially teens. They would feel better in their jeans, and they have no khakis. Do I need to shop????
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Passenger

I'm going to 'get it' too, but in the real world... both Carnival and NCL are budget cruise lines and both have their fair share of nice jeans on the casual nights. When on either of these lines you will find me wearing them too. These aren't faded, or aged but nice dark jeans and topped off with a nice blouse.

The flip side on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity lines, I only wear jeans in the day time.

As for formal nights, we women have it made. Short party dresses to floor length gowns, fun costume jewelry to the fine family jewels will be seen.

The guys on the other hand, look like cute penguins in their tuxes or like they just came from a funeral. Some that wear suits in their daily life can pull it off with ease, but the other poor guys look so uncomfortable.

There are a lot of nice discount suit companies around, You should be able to fit him out nicely for $100 bucks or so plus a bit for having it fitted (jacket and paints). A simple dress shirt out of the closet, and borrow the tie if he doesn't have one. Even a cheap suit can look good, as long as it fits correctly! Don't forget the shoes, dark socks and tie bar or tack. ;-)
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Admiral

step,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I understand the khakis, but what about for children, especially teens. They would feel better in their jeans, and they have no khakis. Do I need to shop????
The dress code is for everybody, regardless of age, unless the cruise line prescribes a separate dress code for children of certain ages. Thus, it is not acceptable for children to wear jeans in the evening on a cruise line that says "no jeans" in its dress code. And as I have noted in other posts, girls also should not wear denim skirts on cruise lines with a "no jeans" policy.

Now as to whether you need to shop, the answer is not necessarily. Khakis are one option on the "casual" evenings, but slacks or, for girls, skirts not made of denim material would be equally acceptable or even preferable, depending upon the cruise line. I presume that your children do have something in that category to wear to events that require clothing better than jeans but not coat and tie, or perhaps to wear with a blazer to "coat and tie" events.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:10 PM
First Mate

From frequently Asked Questions:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Doesn't say anything about jeans not being permitted.

Brian

Sensation
Old March 31st, 2007, 02:56 AM
Admiral

Brian,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
From frequently Asked Questions:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Doesn't say anything about jeans not being permitted.
True, but you left out one very, very important detail. That quote from Carnival's FAQ applies only to Carnival. The policies of other cruise lines differ, and sometimes pretty radically. On many cruise lines, the published dress policy explicitly states that jeans are not permitted in the dining room.

BTW, Carnival does a gross disservice by its misuse the term "formal" in reference to its standards of dress. A sport coat, tie, and slacks is properly considered to be "informal," though lines have blurred sufficiently so it's generally acceptable on a "semiformal" occasion (which properly requires a business suit). Most cruise lines have adopted what's properly a "modified formal" standard of dress that admits a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit in place of "black tie" attire (that is, a dinner jacket outfit or a tuxedo), but an evening for which informal dress is acceptable attire is so far from "formal" that the term "formal" does not fit even with adjectives in front of it. Well, unless the adjective is "not"....

Norm.
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:23 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by step
If your children would feel comfortable in there jeans then khakis then let them wear them as long as they are not torn or ripped then they should be comfortable. Dont try to Change them.
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:29 PM
Passenger

Yeah, don't try to change them. If they've already gotten to their teens with no class, then you might as well keep it that way.
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:34 PM
Admiral

That kind of malicious comment shows a distinct LACK of class. Give me courteous people in jeans over people who feel compelled to be mean any day.
Marty
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Marty,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
That kind of malicious comment shows a distinct LACK of class. Give me courteous people in jeans over people who feel compelled to be mean any day.
I don't see the comment as malicious at all. It may be rather caustic as phrased but sometimes that's necessary to get attention. In any case, it captures the attitude of the post before it exactly.

Denial of the truth is the biggest lack of class of all.

Norm.
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Admiral

And the truth is they are going on Carnival, which does allow jeans. Norm, Norm, you really should know that true upper class folks are referred to as "POLITE society". The unwritten rule ( which you won't find in a book, as it is unwritten 8) ) is that one never descends to a lower level of interaction. Saying that a mean comment fits that of the prior post (which I don't agree with) does not justify it...ever.
Marty
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Passenger

The problem being that my original comment was not mean. I was stating an opinion and if someone was to take offense personally that is their fault. My statement was basically stating that it is a parent's duty to help form their children's respect for traditions and etiquette not to cow-tow to a kid that doesn't want to dress up.
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
And the truth is they are going on Carnival, which does allow jeans. Norm, Norm, you really should know that true upper class folks are referred to as "POLITE society". The unwritten rule ( which you won't find in a book, as it is unwritten 8) ) is that one never descends to a lower level of interaction. Saying that a mean comment fits that of the prior post (which I don't agree with) does not justify it...ever.
Marty
i have to agree with your post.
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Admiral

well said wmufiji
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jene

I havent been on here in awhile to death in my family but i have to admit i just seen some one photo taken on carnival where the Cruise Director was wearing Jeans. Now istn that funny .

I gurantee other than formal nights i told my husband to wear his nice Jeans and his black dress shirts I like so well I told my son the same thing. My girls and i well we can wear our dresses and casual capris for regular dinning room on formal nights we will dress up.

So I guess Jean i will have to say i agree wiht you and thanks for the tip about seeing lots of people in Jeans. I guess wearing Jeans to dinner is better than wearing Shorts
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Yeoman

HAL has removed its prohibition of jeans in the dining room on casual nights.

To answer Norm: No, I have not seen HAL go into detail with "no ragged jeans, no holes, no generic brands, etc."
Nor do they list *approved* brands.

HAL just removed the word jeans from its list of prohibited items of clothing [shorts, T-shirts, tank tops] in its literature and on its daily program.
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Passenger

Bacchus Dining Room (Main Dining Room)
Cuisine: Continental
Dress Code: Two formal nights; others resort attire. Short and swimwear not permitted.Surcharge: No
Reservations Required: Yes
Hours
Breakfast: 7:45 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Lunch: 12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m.
Dinner: Early – 5:45 p.m. or 6:15 p.m., Late – 8:00 p.m. or 8:30 p.m.

Horatio's Restaurant
Cuisine: Buffet, Asian, Grill, Salads, Pasta, Chicken, Steak
Dress Code: Casual
Surcharge: No
Reservations Required: No
Hours
Breakfast/Lunch: Check onboard for hours
Dinner: 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.

Nick and Nora's
Cuisine: Seafood & Steaks
Dress Code: Formal
Surcharge: Yes, $25 per person
Reservations Required: Yes
Hours
Dinner Only : 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.

In addition to the restaurants mentioned above, the Carnival Miracle also features continental breakfast available by room service every morning until 10:00 a.m., full breakfast and lunch served on deck, including salad bar and sushi in the late afternoon, a 24-hour Pizzeria and healthful, low-fat Nautical Spa® menu available in the dining rooms.

Just got this from carnival web site
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Passenger

I think these boards are often helpful but people constantly telling others exactly what they should and should not wear or what is formal enough, etc. is such a big turn off that I hope I never encounter any of these people on my cruise. Some of it borders on ridiculous. Jeans are worn everywhere even at church, Broadway, nice restaurants yet some people act as if anyone wearing them anywhere on a cruise ship should be arrested. Others claim a suit on formal night must be very dark or a dress must either be long or if short have tons of glitter. And there are even arguements over what kind of open shirt is o.k. on informal nights. Geesh!! I recently received my Princess answer book and it just says "suits", does not ban capris (as some have tried to claim) and the pictures of clothes you can rent are not all black nor are they as over the top as some people act like you should be (actually the womens clothes for rent are sort of "plain"). It is opinions people, take it for that, and just hope you are never unlucky enough to end up on a cruise with any of these fanatic because I am sure that what you are wearing is not the only thing they will be "picky" about.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Admiral

backheidi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I think these boards are often helpful but people constantly telling others exactly what they should and should not wear or what is formal enough, etc. is such a big turn off that I hope I never encounter any of these people on my cruise. Some of it borders on ridiculous. Jeans are worn everywhere even at church, Broadway, nice restaurants yet some people act as if anyone wearing them anywhere on a cruise ship should be arrested. Others claim a suit on formal night must be very dark or a dress must either be long or if short have tons of glitter. And there are even arguements over what kind of open shirt is o.k. on informal nights. Geesh!! I recently received my Princess answer book and it just says "suits", does not ban capris (as some have tried to claim) and the pictures of clothes you can rent are not all black nor are they as over the top as some people act like you should be (actually the womens clothes for rent are sort of "plain"). It is opinions people, take it for that, and just hope you are never unlucky enough to end up on a cruise with any of these fanatic because I am sure that what you are wearing is not the only thing they will be "picky" about.
When people ask what is appropriate on these boards, we owe it to them to provide the answers dictated by norms of social etiquette and the dress prescribed by the cruise line. To do otherwise could set them up for major embarrassment -- and that is not fair to those who legitimately ask. The fact that we give straight answers does not mean that we would be so rude as to criticize what somebody is wearing. I usually just wait until the end of the cruise and make a clear comment on the cruise evaluation about the ship's failure to enforce the dress code and the need to do so on future cruises. Believe it or not, such comments actually do get attention.

If you want to wear bluejeans to dinner on your cruise, that's fine. Just do everybody the favor of booking on a cruise line that admits bluejeans within its evening dress code. That way, you won't embarrass yourself by being the only person wearing bluejeans and you won't risk the possibility of being denied entry to or service in the dining room, the theater, or any other venues where you may wish to go for your evening entertainment.

So please get off your high horse and check your 'tude at the door.

Norm.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Passenger

As I said, there is a fanatical obsession about jeans. For the record, I do not even wear jeans (not even at home). It is not that I don't want to, but as I have become older, they do not fit well nor are they comfortable. But many people do like them, find them extremely comfortable, and I feel (particularly with a nice blouse/shirt), look as good or better then many others. But I have seen comments on these boards where people were literally telling people exactly what they should wear right down to color and type of shoes. If it were not for the crazy comments I have seen on some of these boards, it is not even likely I would ever notice whether someone was wearing jeans on a cruise or not. And I do dress up on formal night, but honestly, I have never ever seen anyone anywhere on the cruises that I have been on that was dressed horribly, not even the couple that did come to a semi formal night with jeans because they were first timers and did not realize that night was semi formal. Oh, and they were not kicked out.
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by backheidi

YAY!!! Great post.
You and Colorcrazie make so much sense.

As I have said many times ... HAL also has removed its prohibition of jeans in the dining room on casual night.
I have no problem with those who want to wear them.
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Marty

I *get* what you are saying.

There are some pretenders, but they always show their true colors.
Like putting lipstick on a pig.
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by backheidi
As I said, there is a fanatical obsession about jeans. For the record, I do not even wear jeans (not even at home). It is not that I don't want to, but as I have become older, they do not fit well nor are they comfortable. But many people do like them, find them extremely comfortable, and I feel (particularly with a nice blouse/shirt), look as good or better then many others. But I have seen comments on these boards where people were literally telling people exactly what they should wear right down to color and type of shoes. If it were not for the crazy comments I have seen on some of these boards, it is not even likely I would ever notice whether someone was wearing jeans on a cruise or not. And I do dress up on formal night, but honestly, I have never ever seen anyone anywhere on the cruises that I have been on that was dressed horribly, not even the couple that did come to a semi formal night with jeans because they were first timers and did not realize that night was semi formal. Oh, and they were not kicked out.

Well Put I have to agreed with you i know for formal nigths we will dress up but all other nights i am taking my husbands jeans
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Passenger

Well this has all been very interesting. I will be on the Ecstasy and wondered what the heck resort casual was and if it included jeans at all. I do have a question about jeans going on shore excursions and such... is it permitted? I had read in one place that jeans on the shore was a no no and that it would offend the locals. I'm a first timer to cruising and soaking up all the info I can find! Can't wait to hear from ya'll. Thanks!