Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Admiral

charleygirl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Well this has all been very interesting. I will be on the Ecstasy and wondered what the heck resort casual was and if it included jeans at all. I do have a question about jeans going on shore excursions and such... is it permitted? I had read in one place that jeans on the shore was a no no and that it would offend the locals. I'm a first timer to cruising and soaking up all the info I can find! Can't wait to hear from ya'll. Thanks!
In most destinations, jeans are okay for shore excursions. Nonetheless, you might want to consider where you are going and what you will be doing ashore. Most cruises go to very warm destinations, where you probably will prefer shorts. In Europe, though, slacks or skirts (which need to extend below the knee in the Mediterranean) would be a better choice.

Norm.
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
charleygirl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Well this has all been very interesting. I will be on the Ecstasy and wondered what the heck resort casual was and if it included jeans at all. I do have a question about jeans going on shore excursions and such... is it permitted? I had read in one place that jeans on the shore was a no no and that it would offend the locals. I'm a first timer to cruising and soaking up all the info I can find! Can't wait to hear from ya'll. Thanks!
In most destinations, jeans are okay for shore excursions. Nonetheless, you might want to consider where you are going and what you will be doing ashore. Most cruises go to very warm destinations, where you probably will prefer shorts. In Europe, though, slacks or skirts (which need to extend below the knee in the Mediterranean) would be a better choice.

Norm.

Actually I was considering wearing a long jean skirt (pretty, not scraggly) just did not want to offend the locals. My destinations are Progreso and Cozumel in October, but if it is much hotter than Houston I may opt for something lighter anyway. Thanks for the tip.
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Admiral

If you are going to the Caribbean, jeans are perfectly acceptable, BUT they are very hot. Very few people wear them simply because other shorts, capris, even slacks are cooler.
If you are going to Europe, or other places, then I don't really know which ports would object to jeans. Never really heard about that.
Marty
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Admiral

charleygirl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Actually I was considering wearing a long jean skirt (pretty, not scraggly) just did not want to offend the locals. My destinations are Progreso and Cozumel in October, but if it is much hotter than Houston I may opt for something lighter anyway. Thanks for the tip.
A denim skirt won't offend the locals anywhere in Mexico, Central America, South America, or the Caribbean, but... well, these destinations ar ein the tropics so temperatures will be in the 80's or higher while you are ashore. Thus, you probably will prefer either shorts or skirts of much lighter material that are no longer than about knee length.

If you are visiting Cozumel, I recommend the ship's shore excursion to Tulum very highly. It's a full day, but the destination is quite fascinating! And at Tulum, expect temperatures in the mid-90's.

Norm.
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Admiral

charleygirl - a long denim skirt will be much to hot for shore excursions. If you want to wear a skirt wear something lightweight and flowy, most women wear shorts or capris on shore in the Caribbean.
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Passenger

I copied this from the RCL website. Have they changed their policy? I don't remember any "casual" nights in the dining room and we cruise with them every year.

"Meals in the main dining room follow this schedule:
3-, 4- and 5-night cruises: one formal night; the remainder of nights are casual
6-, 7- and 9-night cruises: two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder of nights casual
10- to 13-night cruises: two formal nights, two smart casual and the remainder of nights casual
14+-night cruises: three formal nights, four smart casual and the remainder of nights casual

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men.

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants."
Majesty of the Seas 4/05
Disney Magic 8/04