Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Beginner

Default Formal Dress For 3night cruise to Ensenada, MX

What is the normal dress for the formal dinner is a nice suit either a black or gray suit okay? Please advise thank you
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal Dress For 3night cruise to Ensenada, MX

InnerCircle,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What is the normal dress for the formal dinner is a nice suit either a black or gray suit okay? Please advise thank you
Most cruise lines prescribe "modified formal" attire, which admits either true "black tie" or a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit for the "formal" evenings. Some lines admit any business suit and a few lines even admit a sport coat and tie, but then the evening really ceases to be "formal" so they should not represent it as such.

Anyway, to answer your question, a black business suit would be fine while the grey business suit would depend on the shade of grey -- a dark grey suit would be appropriate, but the banker's light grey suit really would not.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:13 AM
Admiral

you will be just fine in a nice dark business suit
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default The correct thing would be dark suit or tux...

However if this is on Monarch, which I just got off a three day ensenada, it is nothing but a booze cruise.

The ship is really great the activities are a lot of fun...you MUST do 'the quest', but have a few drinks first.

I was SO dissapointed in the dress code enforcement. about 25% dressed correctly, the others mostly teens and children dressed like inconsiderate slobs. There were not only jeans in the diningroom, but t-shirts, baseball caps and sunglasses. People actually stood in line and took formal photos dressed this way.

If I had to paint a visual, it was not even the Walmart of cruisers, it was the 'dollar' store ones.

We did dress as one of the other couples at our table. I wore a dinner jacket ensemble. The third couple that showed up was dressed like they were about to do some yard work.

All in all if this is the same cruise you will have fun, the ship is old, but nicely laid out. I actually enjoyed the ship, and the shows.

However being a regular cruiser on Celebrity, I found the food to be TERRIBLE, The 'Jade" Restaurant serves items that land based sushi restaurants would normally throw away as inedible scraps, and the service was the worse we have ever had on a cruise.

We also did the wine tour and had a great time. The first winery was the best, the second had some good whites seemed very disorganized. It was worth the money and we had time to stop in town and shop before walking back to the ship.

Have a great time, and don't forget to do the QUEST! its adults only

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: The correct thing would be dark suit or tux...

Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
However if this is on Monarch, which I just got off a three day ensenada, it is nothing but a booze cruise.

The ship is really great the activities are a lot of fun...you MUST do 'the quest', but have a few drinks first.

I was SO dissapointed in the dress code enforcement. about 25% dressed correctly, the others mostly teens and children dressed like inconsiderate slobs. There were not only jeans in the diningroom, but t-shirts, baseball caps and sunglasses. People actually stood in line and took formal photos dressed this way.

If I had to paint a visual, it was not even the Walmart of cruisers, it was the 'dollar' store ones.
Dollar store? Sounds more like the yard sale crowd!

Norm.