Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Yeoman

Default Is there such a thing as too formal on formal night?

I picked out my black and white full length gown for formal night. (very Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's).

Is there such a thing as too formal? I see lots of post were people are wearing cocktail dresses instead of gowns. Will I be out of place? Do certain age group dress differently (ex teens in prom dresses)? If so how does the group that is in their mid-twenties dress? Thanks, Carla
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

No, I think you will be fine, you'll see plenty of long gowns on formal evenings.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Carla,
While teens wearing their prom outfits are a "style group", I've never noticed any other age related categories. Your dress should be perfect. Even if everyone else does show up in short dresses, there is nothing wrong in feeling more elegant than the average person. Enjoy it and don't worry about fitting in. Show 'em how it's done! And, modt of all, have fun!
Marty
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Is there such a thing as too formal on formal night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I picked out my black and white full length gown for formal night. (very Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's).

Is there such a thing as too formal? I see lots of post were people are wearing cocktail dresses instead of gowns. Will I be out of place? Do certain age group dress differently (ex teens in prom dresses)? If so how does the group that is in their mid-twenties dress? Thanks
About the only thing that's too dressy for the "formal" evenings is a "tailcoat" for gentlemen. The event is "black tie" rather than "white tie."

On the "premium" cruise lines, the "formal" evenings seem to draw about an even mix of full length dresses and formal cocktail dresses, with a small percentage of ladies wearing silk pantsuits (the kind that look like pajamas) and a few wearing other dressy (but not really formal) outfits. Most any formal dress will blend in just fine.

BTW, a "prom dress" is really just a formal dress styled for the teen figure and marketed specifically for wear to high school proms.

Norm.
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Admiral

I was going to say what Norm just said.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

No, I think that will be fine. I saw plenty of long beaded gowns and even a few prom-style dresses on formal night.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
First Mate

I'm wearing evening gowns on both formal nights on my cruise and I'm late 30s.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

as long as your husband is wearing a tux, you will be great
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old June 4th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Admiral

<tongue in cheek> I would think that if a lady wore a tiara and a man wore a crown and a cape, then that might be a bit much.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.