Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Beginner

Default Wrinkle Sprays

What are the wrinkle sprays I am reading about...I will have a few linen pants and tops and that spray would probably come in handy.
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Hi krhnbt,

The wrinkle spray I use is Downy Wrinkle Release. It works well for small wrinkles, but not so well for something that really needs to be pressed!

You can also try hanging your clothes in the bathroom with the hot water on in the shower.

I believe there are laundry rooms with irons on Carnival ships. The price for pressing a couple of things is really not that much if you don't want to fool with it yourself!

Have a wonderful wrinkle free cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rfujitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
You can also try hanging your clothes in the bathroom with the hot water on in the shower.
I have also used this method, and it actually works as well as some of the wrinkle sprays out there, but that still isn't saying too much. I'm not sure which one of them is really effective, but the shower idea is one you can use if all else fails.
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Passenger

I never leave home without my Downy Wrinkle Release. It's the best stuff since sliced bread.

As I unpack, almost everything gets a touch up with the stuff. It won't take out a hard crease, but those little wrinkles it does wonders for. Most of all you don't have to tie up the bathroom, while steaming.

Also it's cheap enough that at the end of the trip, I give any leftovers to housekeeping. That space is used for my shopping.
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Passenger

I have to travel a lot to conventions where we are exhibitors, so wrinkle free is important.

One emergency trick I have used is as follows:

Spray with water (you should always have at least a small spray bottle in your stuff, even if you have to empty something out of it into a cup and put it back later), then use hair dryer and hand to smooth out wrinkles.

Of course, a travel iron is handy, but heavy in luggage you are watching the weight of.

The spray bottles of water people keep talking about work so well in the heat, especially if you put a little Sea Breeze or other astringent in the water.

Fishing bass tournaments in the heat, we ladies use this a lot for a quick cool off before the weigh in or through the day.

Old June 30th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Passenger

And of course you are not allowed to take a travel iron aboard with you, for safety's sake.
Old July 1st, 2007, 08:41 AM
Passenger

glad to know that, had never heard that before.

thanks

Old July 1st, 2007, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Downy Wrinkle Release is a miracle product...it works great. Just spray on the fabric, pull the wrinkles out gently with your hands and let dry. Be careful using the irons onboard the cruise ships, my friend ironed one of her shirts onboard and the iron had a burr on the plate and it pulled a bunch of threads on her shirt. It was so bad, she couldn't wear it.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Yeoman

Is there only certain materials you can use this on? I was thinking about using it on my formal dress but its a very silky material. Thanks, Carla
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Familiar Face

I have tried sprays, to no avail. I even bought one of those hand steamers, but couldn't figure out how to use it (I am a little challenged!!). Also, it was too heavy to pack. When you hang up your clothes, most wrinkles come out. Linen is supposed to have some anyway. Once you sit down, that's it! I have steamed clothes in the bathroom with the hot water running and that works quite well.

I have had linen dry cleaned (and pressed) on the ship and I found that they pressed the life out of the clothes.They looked very stiff.

Hope this helps.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Carla,
If your dress is real silk, don't use a wrinkle release. It might be fine, but silk is fussy. If it is some other fabric, I would suggest doing a test spot in a discreet area. Doesn't have to be wrinkled, just see if it affects the fabric.
Marty
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Beginner

Here is a little trick I learned from many years of traveling. Pack a small spray bottle with 2 or three Dryer sheets in it. When you arrive just add water and shake. Srpay your clothes, give a shake and smooth with you hands. Much cheaper than buying the wrinkle release and it works just the same!
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Passenger

Rosie, great idea... and after all the wrinkles are out and the garments are hung up in good condition, then that same spray bottle can be cleaned out, filled with water and a little bit of astringent and used as a body/face cooling spray. We used to do this fishing bass tournaments and it can be a great cooling spray.