Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Beginner

Default Jeans on Carnival

Im going on the Carnival Pride cruise in April and i wanted to know if jeans or shorts were ok in the dinning room not on the formal nights. Please help! THANKS
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Passenger

I haven't been on the Pride, but I was on the Victory.

Shorts of any kind are not permitted in the dining room, nor did I see anyone trying to wearing shorts.

Jeans seem to be conspiciously absent on any list of appropriate or inappropriate for the dining room list. Did I wear jeans in the dining room? yes. Did I observe others wear jeans in the dining room? yes. Granted, jeans weren't common--but they were being worn and no one seemed to have a problem with it.

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Carnival Victory 2/07--Western Caribbean
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:56 PM
kookylabooka

The latest from their website :

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Admiral

shorts are ok for breakfast or lunch in the dining room.
As for the whole jeans issue on casul nights you will get a different answer from just about everyone. Will you see jeans in the dining room on casual nights, yes but in the minority.
The dress code does not say no jeans allowed nor does it say jeans allowed it states "slacks" as acceptable casual resort wear.
Jeans are not considered to be resort casual, technically speaking.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Passenger

Dress Code - top

What Should I pack?
The first thing to remember is that you're on vacation and you are aboard one of Carnival's "Fun Ships" to have a good time. The second thing to remember is to travel light. If you keep those two things in mind, you should do just fine. Casual attire and resort wear is the order of the day both on board and in port. Shorts, slacks, sundresses, blouses, etc., are in line for women. Clothing for men is just as casual. You should bring a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers to wear on deck and a pair of good walking shoes. You might also want to consider bringing along a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. Women may want to bring along a hat or scarf. You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
shorts are ok for breakfast or lunch in the dining room.
As for the whole jeans issue on casul nights you will get a different answer from just about everyone. Will you see jeans in the dining room on casual nights, yes but in the minority.
The dress code does not say no jeans allowed nor does it say jeans allowed it states "slacks" as acceptable casual resort wear.
Jeans are not considered to be resort casual, technically speaking.
I was curious about this one also. I know from reading many posts that jeans/shorts/tank tops are not allowed in dining room, but I wondered if that meant just during dinner or at ALL times.
I think it would be silly to dress up nice to go eat breakfast, then go back to the room to get on your shorts to go do an excursion or what not, and then have to change again for lunch. I guess if this is the case, I will choose the lido deck for meals other than dinner.
Do you know for sure about the dress code for the dining room during breakfast and lunch?
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jene
Do you know for sure about the dress code for the dining room during breakfast and lunch?
No problem, breakfast and lunch are casual. I went in with shorts and tank top over my bathing suit. Carla
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Carla is right. They will not allow bathing suits in the dining room at all, but breakfast and lunch you can go in shorts. They know you may be dashing off to a tour and they don't want to discourage people from buying those tours!
Marty
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Passenger

I just read the brochure for carnival it states that no shorts or tshirts allowed in dinning room at supper time it says nothing about jeans though so i guess other then formal nights they are allowing you to wear them .
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Passenger

Bacchus Dining Room (Main Dining Room)
Cuisine: Continental
Dress Code: Two formal nights; others resort attire. Short and swimwear not permitted.
Surcharge: No
Reservations Required: Yes
Hours
Breakfast: 7:45 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Lunch: 12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m.
Dinner: Early – 5:45 p.m. or 6:15 p.m., Late – 8:00 p.m. or 8:30 p.m.

Horatio's Restaurant
Cuisine: Buffet, Asian, Grill, Salads, Pasta, Chicken, Steak
Dress Code: Casual
Surcharge: No
Reservations Required: No
Hours
Breakfast/Lunch: Check onboard for hours
Dinner: 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.

Nick and Nora's
Cuisine: Seafood & Steaks
Dress Code: Formal
Surcharge: Yes, $25 per person
Reservations Required: Yes
Hours
Dinner Only : 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.

In addition to the restaurants mentioned above, the Carnival Miracle also features continental breakfast available by room service every morning until 10:00 a.m., full breakfast and lunch served on deck, including salad bar and sushi in the late afternoon, a 24-hour Pizzeria and healthful, low-fat Nautical Spa® menu available in the dining rooms.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Some people can't leave home without their jeans, regardless of where they are going or how hot it is. Soooo, you will see jeans at dinner in the formal dining room. However, when we go to a dinner where there are white tablecloths, chandeliers, nice silverware, pretty china, linen napkins, flowers on the table, and waiters dressed in formal attire, I dress accordingly. The environment and ambience, in my opinion, requires a little more in the way of attire than jeans. I do own a pair of jeans that I leave at home....too heavy...too hot...and do not think they are appropriate in the FORMAL dining room on a cruise ship. This issue is constantly rehashed on the Boards and usually generates lots of pros and cons. Before everyone starts jumping all over me, this is MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE. It has nothing to do with whether you are a good person or not, or what part of the country you live or what a great tablemate you are. Again, this is my personal opinion only.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Jeans on Carnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staryemokid
Im going on the Carnival Pride cruise in April and i wanted to know if jeans or shorts were ok in the dinning room not on the formal nights. Please help! THANKS
As others have said, shorts are allowed for breakfast and lunch, but not dinner. As for jeans, the question as to whether they "should" be worn seems to be very controversial, however, I can tell you from personal experience that you will see plenty of people wearing them to non-formal dinners and you will not be turned away by the maitre'd or given evil stares by fellow passengers. It's just a matter of personal choice. For me, jeans are all I ever wear on the non-formal nights.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Last time, I wore a pretty pair of jean capris, with heels and a dressy top and it was fine
Old June 4th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Yeoman

I've just chosen all of my outfits that I'll be wearing for my upcoming cruise in two weeks, and pressed out all of the major wrinkles before packing them. I made sure to include a jean skirt for one of the dining room evenings and I've also perfected my "returned, dirty look" for all who will have a problem with it.