CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Black dress pants, and black dress shirt okay? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/329829-black-dress-pants-black-dress-shirt-okay.html)

PoohBear03031 March 13th, 2007 05:32 PM

Black dress pants, and black dress shirt okay?

I'm not sure if I have already asked this question before, but that was was what I'd planned on wearing one of the fromal night, and then a long skirt/jacket comebo for the next. Am I going to look underdressed?

Rev22:17 March 13th, 2007 07:46 PM

Re: Black dress pants, and black dress shirt okay?

PoohBear03031,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
I'm not sure if I have already asked this question before, but that was was what I'd planned on wearing one of the fromal night, and then a long skirt/jacket comebo for the next. Am I going to look underdressed?

A black dress shirt and black dress pants would be WAY too underdressed for the "formal" evenings on the majority of cruise lines. The long skirt and jacket combo sounds fine (with a suitable blouse, of course).

There's no reason not to wear the jacket and long skirt on both "formal" evenings. Perhaps you you can coordinate the jacket and skirt with different accessories and different nice blouses of a couple different styles to give the outfit a somewhat different look.

Norm.

colorcrazie March 14th, 2007 03:16 PM

It depends on which cruise line you are going on and how you accesorize.
Marty

LisaK March 15th, 2007 10:34 AM

technically speaking, Norm is correct, again. However you will see a FEW ladies wearing dressy pants with a VERY DRESSY blouse- something sparkly or silky, if the jacket goes with your pants that would dress up your outfit as another option, making it more of a dinner suit ensemble

PoohBear03031 March 15th, 2007 03:15 PM

I'm going on Carnival, and that was what I was afraid of, I guess I'll have to run out and buy a dress. Thanks for the replies.

colorcrazie March 16th, 2007 01:15 PM

PoohBear,
I wouldn't worry so much about it. On Carnival, you will see a wide range of attire on all nights, including formal. I think that most of the folks who are so emphatic about dress codes are not Carnival fans and that is fine. We often enjoy it partly because of the casual attitudes. So wear what you have and dress it up as much as you can with jewelry, sparkly shawl, whatever. But, keep your focus on having fun!
Marty

Fern March 16th, 2007 11:01 PM

Personally, I've always worn dress pants and a "sparkly" top on formal nights. I've never felt underdressed on any of our cruises.

As long as you look nice you'll be fine (especially on Carnival).

mehawk March 17th, 2007 04:24 PM

Look at it as a great occassion to buy a dress :D

luv2cruise99 May 3rd, 2007 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie
PoohBear,
I wouldn't worry so much about it. On Carnival, you will see a wide range of attire on all nights, including formal. I think that most of the folks who are so emphatic about dress codes are not Carnival fans and that is fine. We often enjoy it partly because of the casual attitudes. So wear what you have and dress it up as much as you can with jewelry, sparkly shawl, whatever. But, keep your focus on having fun!
Marty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern
Personally, I've always worn dress pants and a "sparkly" top on formal nights. I've never felt underdressed on any of our cruises.

As long as you look nice you'll be fine (especially on Carnival).

I agree with both "colorcrazie" and "fern". I am not into dressing up. I have not even worn a dress or skirt since I've been about 8 years old! I have sailed many times on both Carnival and Princess and I always make do on formal nights with just black dress pants and a pretty blouse accessorized with some nice jewelry. Definitely does not equal "formal", but I have never felt out of place. In all honesty, most people dress up more than me, but there have always been enough dressed the same as me (or below) that I have never felt self-conscious (and I am extremely shy and probably feel self-conscious easier than most).

Dress codes seem to me to be a far bigger issue on these boards than they actually are onboard ship, so wear what you feel comfortable in and have a great time!

rosetattoo May 3rd, 2007 07:17 PM

PoohBear....I agree with luv2cruise99....dressy black slacks paired with a dressy top, snazzy shoes and nice jewelry will be perfectly fine....especially when you're sitting next to someone in jeans, T shirt and baseball hat (yes, even on formal nights). I love seeing everyone all dressed up on formal night but I am more comfortable in slacks. My dressy, silky, black slacks are so easy to pack, with two dressy tops, and one pair of black, dressy, shoes. Less to pack and very appropriate attire for the formal nights. Also, I don't want to spill my dirty martinis or chocolate melting cake on a formal dress, ha!

mona88 October 23rd, 2011 11:30 PM

I think a black pants should not go with a black dress shirt. You can choose a silk blouse instead.

mona88 October 23rd, 2011 11:31 PM

I think a black pant should not go with a black dress shirt. You can choose a silk blouse instead.

johnthed0g October 24th, 2011 07:05 AM

As the OP was over 4 years ago I expect they found out by now....

Paul Motter January 26th, 2012 06:17 PM

besides that - the original post was from a man - but he would look quite fetching in a white blouse, black torreador pants and stiletto heels!

http://www.millionlooks.com/images/leather-leggings.jpg