Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Passenger

Default Alaska - Can't get this right

I have cruised and vacationed in the Caribbean and understand how to dress there. But this Alaska thing has really got me confused. I get the port dress Ok (layers, wet weather stuff, and comfortable walking shoes) This is what I don't get - how to dress on board! I assume that regardless of the temp outside the inside of the ship will be normal short sleeve kind of "weather". But is it really acceptable to run around in jeans on board? On other cuises I would have been in capris and sundresses which I would think would really be out of place there.
Oh we cruise end of May. Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Yes, Jeans are acceptable on board. It's casual all over the ship EXCEPT for the dining room for obvious reasons. No jeans for dinner, not sure about lunch.
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Cassandra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Yes, Jeans are acceptable on board. It's casual all over the ship EXCEPT for the dining room for obvious reasons. No jeans for dinner, not sure about lunch.
The dining room's policy on jeans at breakfast and lunch varies with the cruise line (IIRC, Celebrity says NO). Nonetheless, most passengers tend to eat breakfast and lunch elsewhere -- the buffet, the pizzeria or pizza and pasta bar, the poolside grill, etc. -- so any restriction in the dining room really is not an issue.

Norm.
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska - Can't get this right

randga,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have cruised and vacationed in the Caribbean and understand how to dress there. But this Alaska thing has really got me confused. I get the port dress Ok (layers, wet weather stuff, and comfortable walking shoes) This is what I don't get - how to dress on board! I assume that regardless of the temp outside the inside of the ship will be normal short sleeve kind of "weather". But is it really acceptable to run around in jeans on board? On other cuises I would have been in capris and sundresses which I would think would really be out of place there.
Oh we cruise end of May. Thanks for any advice!
Dockers or khakis generally are a better choice than jeans. You can wear either anywhere, and they don't run afoul of a "no jeans" policy.

But you might want to bring one pair of jeans if you are planning to take a wilderness hike or a zip lining excursion or something of the sort.

Norm.
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Passenger

Thank you all. I am not much of a Dockers kind of gal so I guess I'll just have to dive into my closet and visit my local mall for some slacks. I will try to limit my jean wearing. Won't be able to do much about my 18 year old son as he lives in them, but I am sure except for the dining room that will be overlooked a bit due to his age. Thanks again!
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rfujitani

randga:
I had the same question not too long ago, and I'm also not someone who wears or owns too many clothes that are appropriate for these cruise situations. If I may make a suggestion, try to find a few thrift stores in your area and checking them out, if you don't normally wear a lot of khakis and such. You can often find some surprisingly nice pairs of pants at thrift shops for really low prices (sometimes less than $5), and a lot of them will be in very wearable condition.
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Admiral

randga,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thank you all. I am not much of a Dockers kind of gal...
I'm sorry. I did not realize that you are a gal when I wrote my earlier reply. Casual skirts or sundresses would be fine for wear during the day, but I recommend a material other than denim for the skirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Won't be able to do much about my 18 year old son as he lives in them, but I am sure except for the dining room that will be overlooked a bit due to his age.
Hmmm....

Even for your son, I suspect that khakis or Dockers would be the better choice because that's what most other men probably will will wear aboard ship. If he is eighteen, he is past the teen program. JTOL, you might be able to win him over by laying the cards on the table if you post the question properly. ("Son, the cruise line does not allow jeans in the dining room, so you need to bring either khakis or dockers to wear to dinner on "casual" nights.... Do you want to wear them ashore, too, or do you want to weigh down your luggage with jeans to wear ashore?")

BTW, tell your son to be sure to bring some shorts, too. He probably will want them in Vancouver, in Skagway, and in Anchorage if you are going there.

Norm.
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Which cruise line are you going on? That does make a difference in how dress code is interpreted.
Marty
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Passenger

We will be on the Golden Princess.

As for my son I won't have a problem getting him to wear nice pants / shirt for the dining room. Just think he will be wearing jeans during the day - not torn but decent looking of course. No distastful graphic T's for sure.
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Admiral

You should be fine then. Dinner in the dining room is the real issue.
Have fun!
Marty
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Admiral

randga - another option that you will see alot of on deck on cool days is folks in athletic/track suits.
Old April 29th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Passenger

Yes, jeans on board are okay on Carnival. People will wear most anything except in the dining room at night. We are on the Spirit on May 16th. My cruise agent has been on that ship and says it is casual and for us not to overdress or overpack as you will not get as hot or dirty as you might on a Caribbean cruise being in the sun/pool/beach. So, I will wear capris or jeans most of the time except for dinner then I will switch to more business casual. I am not a formal person, so I do not know what I will do that night.

Just make sure you dress in layers. I am from Florida so I have not figured that out yet. Maybe a t-shirt and long sleeve overshirt and then jacket. This will be interesting.
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Hi Prue,
I'm from Florida also. For layers outside in Alaska, add a sweatshirt and a waterproof windbreaker. For on board, I like silk layers, such as a silk turtleneck or cowl. I used to wear them under suits for work and found that they also work great for northern cruising. I also have a black silk suit left over from corporate days and have dressed that up for formal nights on cruises. I'll probably get flamed for once again suggesting that enjoying one's vacation is more important than following archaic dress codes, but add some glam to work suits and you're good to go. Or, have fun bargain shopping, even maybe at second hand stores, for something fun. It is fun to play "dress up" a little on cruises. Rarely appropriate elsewhere, especially here in Florida.
Marty
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Maybe, maybe not. Remember the decks will be exposed, as will the outside pool and observation areas. Kiddo and I swam in an enclosed pool then rushed out to an observation deck in just our suits to see some glaciers while it snowed.

You may have some snow, some rain, some sun, etc. and you may be inside then duck outside for photos. Suggest you wear long sleeve stuff as a hedge.

**Also, rethink jeans for outdoors activities in Alaska - if rain, cotton dries slowly! A blend is better.**

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I assume that regardless of the temp outside the inside of the ship will be normal short sleeve kind of "weather".
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have sailed Princess many times. You or your son will be fine in nice jeans anywhere aboard ship (including the dining room) on non-formal nights.

For daytime, I've always been comfortable indoors and most of the time outdoors with jeans and a long-sleeve shirt. You might want to also bring along a light jacket for the colder/rainier days and, if you plan on being outdoors at night, a heavier jacket too.
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Passenger

We are going in mid July. We live in Louisiana. It will be blistering hot here so its hard to know what to pack for Alaska. Should we pack both shorts and pants? Or mainly pants? A friend who went last year in June said she wore alot of wind suits.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Alaska will probably be warmer than you expect, but it can still get chilly, especially when it rains...which is a lot. I would take a couple of pairs of capris or shorts and the rest long pants. I actually wore shorts under sweat pants one day and ended up needing both.
Marty