Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM
Beginner

Default james bond look white dinner jacket w/ black slacks

going to hawaii celebrity november 9 to november 23, this will be a wedding moon, husband to be wants to wear the white dinner jacket w/ black slacks .....james bondish, heard from some very season cruisers that the white dinner jacket is so 10 years ago and nobody wears them anymore.....like to hear from someone who has been on a tropical cruise, Did you see any men on the formal night wearing this thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: james bond look white dinner jacket w/ black slacks

sjgoose,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
going to hawaii celebrity november 9 to november 23, this will be a wedding moon, husband to be wants to wear the white dinner jacket w/ black slacks .....james bondish, heard from some very season cruisers that the white dinner jacket is so 10 years ago and nobody wears them anymore.....like to hear from someone who has been on a tropical cruise, Did you see any men on the formal night wearing this thanks
Theres something confused here, because a "dinner jacket" is never worn with slacks. Rather, it's worn with formal dress pants with the satin stripes in the outseam, a pleated shirt, and a bow tie with a (usually matching) vest or cummerbund. White dinner jackets are often similar in style to a "tuxedo" and typically have white satin lapels. With slack, one normally wears a sport coat -- which is NOT the same thing as a dinner jacket.

Anyway, a white or pastel dinner jacket is proper gentleman's attire for "black tie" events in warm weather, which generally means in the summer season (which extends further into the spring and fall the closer to the tropics you go) in temperate climates and any time of year in the tropics and subtropical regions. A white sport coat would be proper "informal" atire during the same seasons.

And I'm not up on the latest fashion trends so I can't comment as to whether white sport coats are "in" or "out" from a standpoint of fashion. I do know that white dinner jackets are quite readily available for rent from most "tuxedo" shops, so they obviously are not "out" right now.

And in case you are confused by my distinction between a dinner jacket and a "tuxedo," a "tuxedo" is actually a black dinner jacket of a specific style first worn at The Tuxedo Club in New York, from which it acquired the nickname.

Norm.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Excessive technicalities aside...yes, white is totally appropriate for the Caribbean.
Enjoy!
Marty
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Admiral

"The name is Bond... James Bond"

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default The dinner jacket is NOT passe.....

We bring both our tuxes and off white shawl collar dinner jackets on every cruise so we have a bit of variety, and regardless of what other say about weight restrictions and packing....We have never had a problem.

Norm is correct. Formal trousers are the appropriate companion to the jacket, along with braces ( suspenders ).

The interpretation part.....belt, or cummerbund? tie color? pocket square? pleated shirt or flat front ( ruffles ARE passe ), mother of pearl buttons or studs? choice of cufflinks?

Heck, I even had a pair of tuxedo trousers cuffed...usually they are straight legged, but I thought as long as its a tux, a subtle change might be interesting, and it is.

Just remember to stay away from the 'Fake' tux. Black pants off the rack with a black blazer ......a dark or black suit with a pleated shirt and bow tie...

If its not a tux, don't make it look like one, it doesn't work. A dark suit is fine with the dress codes on most ships now a days, pick out a nice shirt and tie and go with it as it is, not something it isn't.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default The dinner jacket is NOT passe.....

We bring both our tuxes and off white shawl collar dinner jackets on every cruise so we have a bit of variety, and regardless of what other say about weight restrictions and packing....We have never had a problem.

Norm is correct. Formal trousers are the appropriate companion to the jacket, along with braces ( suspenders ).

The interpretation part.....belt, or cummerbund? tie color? pocket square? pleated shirt or flat front ( ruffles ARE passe ), mother of pearl buttons or studs? choice of cufflinks?

Heck, I even had a pair of tuxedo trousers cuffed...usually they are straight legged, but I thought as long as its a tux, a subtle change might be interesting, and it is.

Just remember to stay away from the 'Fake' tux. Black pants off the rack with a black blazer ......a dark or black suit with a pleated shirt and bow tie...

If its not a tux, don't make it look like one, it doesn't work. A dark suit is fine with the dress codes on most ships now a days, pick out a nice shirt and tie and go with it as it is, not something it isn't.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
sjgoose,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Theres something confused here, because a "dinner jacket" is never worn with slacks. Rather, it's worn with formal dress pants with the satin stripes in the outseam, a pleated shirt, and a bow tie with a (usually matching) vest or cummerbund. White dinner jackets are often similar in style to a "tuxedo" and typically have white satin lapels. With slack, one normally wears a sport coat -- which is NOT the same thing as a dinner jacket.

Anyway, a white or pastel dinner jacket is proper gentleman's attire for "black tie" events in warm weather, which generally means in the summer season (which extends further into the spring and fall the closer to the tropics you go) in temperate climates and any time of year in the tropics and subtropical regions. A white sport coat would be proper "informal" atire during the same seasons.

And I'm not up on the latest fashion trends so I can't comment as to whether white sport coats are "in" or "out" from a standpoint of fashion. I do know that white dinner jackets are quite readily available for rent from most "tuxedo" shops, so they obviously are not "out" right now.

And in case you are confused by my distinction between a dinner jacket and a "tuxedo," a "tuxedo" is actually a black dinner jacket of a secific style first worn at The Tuxedo Club in New York, from which it acquired the nickname.

Norm.
I bet Marty Robbins would've known........
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Inis46,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I bet Marty Robbins would've known........
Methinks that Marty Robbins knew quite well. His hit song was about "a white sport coat" -- not a white dinner jacket -- "and a pink carnation...."

Norm.
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Passenger

My last couple of cruises (Panama Canal & Hawaii) I noticed a number of men wearing the 'white' dinner jacket w/ Tux pants. etc.

On the Hawiian trip I took both a black Tux dinner jacket and the white dinner jacket. The same pants, shirt, tie, cummerbund and shoes are worn with both. On a cruise with 3 or more formal nights it gives one a chance for a different look.

De Oppresso Liber - RLTW