Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Yeoman

Default Grrrrrrrrrr

We are leaving on our family cruise in 7 days so today I spent the day packing, and re-packing, and (sighing) re-packing. I just can't seem to get it down to less than 2 suitcases, a garmet bag with my 2 formal outfits (each one has 3 pieces to it) and several ironed camp shirts in it, and my duffle bag of shoes, and yeeessss, I need them all! One of the suitcases (large) has all my outfits and a couple to spare, bathing suit(2) and coverup, nighties, undies, jewelry. The other (medium) suitcase has ziploc bags (2 sizes), extention cords, duct tape, clothes steamer, reading book, camera and recharable batteries, cosmetics, curling iron, a straw beachbag. Geesh, I couldn't smuggle a bottle of booze onboard if I wanted to......
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Passenger

I know this sounds crazy, but I had to pack for a 6 week trip to Africa last summer, and everything had to fit in one bag that could go on my back. That included a sleeping bag and a pillow.

One thing that really helped was I took freezer size ziploc bags and shoved clothes in them and pushed out all the air. It obviously gets things very wrinkled, but if you are bring a steamer, it shouldn't matter. Maybe if you just did it with your underware and stuff that you don't mind if it gets wrinkled, it might save you some space.

My other advice is to try and roll things in your suitcase. That saves a lot of space. Also, make there is no empty space. For instance, shove things inside the beach bag inside the suitcase. Put things inside your shoes.

It's amazing how much you can fit when you get creative.
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Admiral

What in the world are you going to do coming home? I have to pack an extra collapsible bag going so I can stuff it full of things I can't resist buying in ports. And I hate shopping. Or do you not get into that?
Anyway, have fun! And let us know how it goes.
Bon Voyage
Marty
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926

Let me share this chronic overpackers secret with you...PACKING BAGS!

I have a set of 3 (s, M, L) LL Bean Packing bags. For my cruise I used my set and a friends set and was able to get ALL of my clothes in a 27in Suitcase. My friend who went with me was amazed at all I had stuffed in there. I then had a gym bag for my shoes and a few other odds and ends.

Also for a recent trip to Prague, I found some vaccum bags at Target. you can get a decent amount of clothes in them. You seal them and then roll it up and it gets pretty darn flat. I was also pretty surprised things weren't too wrinkled (and that is from someone who Irons EVERYDAY). It was a nine day trip and I only needed the 27in suitcase listed above and a bookbag for the flight.

Good Luck!
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Yeoman

Jessm, colorcrazie, and ara, could I borrow you all to come pack for me??

I just talked to my daughter on the phone in NC and told her how many bags I'm taking. She couldn't believe it...she's only taking 4 suitcases for 5 people!!! Instead of me riding over to the Port of Tampa in the limo with them, I might have to drive my Pathfinder over with all of my luggage instead....lol. Ten people, with luggage, in one stretch limo......hmmm, that should be interesting.
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926

Good Luck and have a wonderful time on your cruise! I am very jealous! I have much longer to wait for mine!
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yeoman

ara, at least you get to go more often than every 10 years.....thankx for the good wishes.
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Just pack the bare necessities.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Oh boy, am I ever thinking of a great comeback line.....(but I'll behave, this time)
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Admiral

you can scale down very easily. Think separates for clothes you can wear an outfit more than once because you will only be in it for a couple of hours. For a seven-day cruise for daytime you can manage very nicely with 3 pairs of shorts per person. Most of the time you will be in your swimsuit anyway. Mix and match a combination of t-shirts, tanks,you don't need a clean one for everyday- stuff them into a ziploc type bag- plan on buying a couple of cheapy t-shirts in port. Stuff undies, and socks into ziploc bags. For eveningwear, the guys can get by very nicely with 3 pair of dockers type pants, if you want to pack a shirt for eachnight its up to you. 1 suit - 2 dress shirts & 2 ties. Ladies - mix and match, capris, skirts and trousers. Keep shoes to a minimum - you will need sneakers for walking around a pair of water sandals or flipflops for beach and deck, 1 pair casual shoes or sandals, 1 pair dress shoes. Have never found the need for the steamer, you can steam clothes in the shower, send them out to be ironed or use the self-serve laundry if your ship has one. Your carry-on bag should have your camera, batteries, jewelry and meds.
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Grrrrrrrrrr

Inis46,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are leaving on our family cruise in 7 days so today I spent the day packing, and re-packing, and (sighing) re-packing. I just can't seem to get it down to less than 2 suitcases, a garmet bag with my 2 formal outfits (each one has 3 pieces to it) and several ironed camp shirts in it, and my duffle bag of shoes, and yeeessss, I need them all! One of the suitcases (large) has all my outfits and a couple to spare, bathing suit(2) and coverup, nighties, undies, jewelry. The other (medium) suitcase has ziploc bags (2 sizes), extention cords, duct tape, clothes steamer, reading book, camera and recharable batteries, cosmetics, curling iron, a straw beachbag. Geesh, I couldn't smuggle a bottle of booze onboard if I wanted to......
Cut the packing lists in the first post of this thread in half, rounding up, since your cruise is seven nights rather than fourteen, and compare them with what you have packed. If it is not in those packing lists, leave it behind.

BTW, you will not need a clothes steamer. Just hang whatever you need to steam on the hook on the door to the head, then turn the shower on the hottest setting and close the door. Your clothes will be steamed to perfection in five minutes or less.

And if you need anything pressed to get rid of wrinkles, the ship's laundry will be glad to oblige.

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to sirobin171

What is the duct tape for if I may ask?

Let me guess at it, see if I am right

To peal lint off of your cloths?
To tape the kids mouths shut when they get to loud?
To tape the sute case together when it splits at its zipper?
To discipline your husband when he tells everyone at dinner something stupid?
A alternative hair removal tool?
To tape contraban to ones body when boarding or re-boarding the ship?

:-)

Rob
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Oh boy, am I ever thinking of a great comeback line.....(but I'll behave, this time)
Hmmmm

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirobin171
What is the duct tape for if I may ask?

Let me guess at it, see if I am right

To peal lint off of your cloths?
To tape the kids mouths shut when they get to loud?
To tape the sute case together when it splits at its zipper?
To discipline your husband when he tells everyone at dinner something stupid?
A alternative hair removal tool?
To tape contraban to ones body when boarding or re-boarding the ship?

:-)

Rob
Ha ha, verrryyy funny, at least I don't have to worry about #4 (no husband).....Oh to answer your question, it's to hold the drawers (not mine, the dresser drawers) closed during rough seas. Learnt that on CM, ain't I schmart?

mehawk,
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Admiral

duct tape to hold the dresser drawers closed? that is a new one, and not really necessary i think. First off the duct tape will take the finish off the drawers and most drawers you have to pull-up and out to open, they are designed for the ships movement so that they do not open. 9 times out of 10 the water won't be that rough anyway.
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
duct tape to hold the dresser drawers closed? that is a new one, and not really necessary i think. First off the duct tape will take the finish off the drawers and most drawers you have to pull-up and out to open, they are designed for the ships movement so that they do not open. 9 times out of 10 the water won't be that rough anyway.
......not according to the kazillion message board pages I've been reading the last 6 months on CM and other boards, it has been suggested over and over. I have used duct tape before and the worse it has done is leave some tape residual. I seriously don't think the duct tape will "take the finish off" either, based on the material the drawers are made of. As far as rough water, it may not be rough, yet again, it may, so I'm prepared either way.
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:11 PM
First Mate

we were in 27 ft seas during a tropical storm and none of our drawers were a problem. Things were rolling around in them but none came open.

BTW, check with your cruise line about the steamer. On our last HAL cruise clothes steamers are now on the banned list.
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well even if you are using it for a utilitarian reason I think your shmart :-)
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Well even if you are using it for a utilitarian reason I think your shmart :-)
BTW, what is that pink drinky winky you got there? Looks good, I might have to order one next week...
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

It was at Senor Frogs, I think it was a margarita or some kind of lemonade type thing.

Hey your not making fun of my pink drink are you :-)

You say next week, are you going to the bahamas? I am going to be there next week.
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
It was at Senor Frogs, I think it was a margarita or some kind of lemonade type thing.

Hey your not making fun of my pink drink are you :-)

You say next week, are you going to the bahamas? I am going to be there next week.
Moi? Make fun of your beverage of choice....(even if it is in a girly girly glass)

Going to the Western Carib. on my cruise, too bad it wasn't to the bahamas, I'd buy you another pink one!
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Inis46 - have you been able to scale back or do you still need to hire a pack mule? lol
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
Inis46 - have you been able to scale back or do you still need to hire a pack mule? lol
LisaK, well, I scaled back a little.....decided I don't need the duct tape afterall! Seriously, I did take out 2 pair of shoes but that is about all. I'll let you know how many outfits were never even taken out of the suitcase!