Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Default DressCode Query-QE2 Please help!!!!!!

Hello

We are going to be spending our Honeymoon on the QE2 in August. We have recieved the itinery and relevant info. However, I notice we have 4 formal evenings where an "evening gown" is required!

Can someone tell me what is classed as an evening gown? Is it the same as a ball gown?

I have two dresses that may do, one is burgundy that I am wearing for my wedding. It is fitted with rushed/pleated waist and slightly flaring skirt made of an imitation taffeta type material- it isn't strapless and has a matching bolero jacket.

The other is an ice blue strapless satin dress which is quite straight with a slight fish tail effect at the back.. Now, are these classed as evening gowns or ball gowns?? or does it really not matter???? They were both purchased in Debenhams and are their debut range.(to give you some idea)

Please help as I am usually jeans and t shirt kinda girl! and am totally out of my depth when it comes to dressing up! I don't want to be over dressed and look a real wally especially as this is supposed to be a romantic honeymoon!!!

Many thanks for any help you can give

Cheers

Sindy
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: DressCode Query-QE2 Please help!!!!!!

Sindy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hello

We are going to be spending our Honeymoon on the QE2 in August. We have recieved the itinery and relevant info. However, I notice we have 4 formal evenings where an "evening gown" is required!

Can someone tell me what is classed as an evening gown? Is it the same as a ball gown?

I have two dresses that may do, one is burgundy that I am wearing for my wedding. It is fitted with rushed/pleated waist and slightly flaring skirt made of an imitation taffeta type material- it isn't strapless and has a matching bolero jacket.

The other is an ice blue strapless satin dress which is quite straight with a slight fish tail effect at the back.. Now, are these classed as evening gowns or ball gowns?? or does it really not matter???? They were both purchased in Debenhams and are their debut range.(to give you some idea)

Please help as I am usually jeans and t shirt kinda girl! and am totally out of my depth when it comes to dressing up! I don't want to be over dressed and look a real wally especially as this is supposed to be a romantic honeymoon!!!

Many thanks for any help you can give

Cheers
What stores here in the States sell as "prom dresses" now actually are evening gowns. There are a variety of styles, but they all are fairly ornate full length dresses.

And don't worry about being overdressed on Cunard. You won't be. For your husband, though, "white tie and tails" would be inappropriate since "black tie" is the order of the day.

And best wishes to you for a great cruise and a wonderful marriage!

Norm.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Beginner

Just found some pics of the two dresses, top row, middle the pink one although mine is burgundy and the lilac one next to it which is pretty similar. Hope this image/linkworks
lo
[/img]http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryProductDisplayView?beginIndex=12&langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&categoryId=61603&p ageSize=12[img]
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Sindy - both dresses that you have described sound beautiful and just perfect for formal evenings.