Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

Old June 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Passenger

Default Dressing for Dinner

We are going on our first cruise in October...Liberty of the Seas. My husband is very concerned about dressing for dinner. I see a lot of "dress slacks and shirt" or, "dress slacks and jacket." He's not really a dress slacks kind of guy. I'm guessing shorts are not acceptable dinner wear???

Thanks for any advice.

Paula
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Short are okay for breakfast and lunch but not allowed in the dining room for dinner. On the non-formal nights, Docker type slacks and a polo or button down shirt are fine.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Admiral

I don't understand it...

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
Short are okay for breakfast and lunch but not allowed in the dining room for dinner. On the non-formal nights, Docker type slacks and a polo or button down shirt are fine.
Thanks for the info. I better get him back into the stores...
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Paula, the only nights that you will have to dress up are the formal nights.
On the other nights for dinner a nice pair of dockers type slacks and a polo or short-sleeve buttonn-down shirt will be just fine on the Liberty
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dressing for Dinner

Paula,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are going on our first cruise in October...Liberty of the Seas. My husband is very concerned about dressing for dinner. I see a lot of "dress slacks and shirt" or, "dress slacks and jacket." He's not really a dress slacks kind of guy. I'm guessing shorts are not acceptable dinner wear???

Thanks for any advice.
On most cruise lines, that's correct -- shorts, "T" shirts, and bluejeans (actually, denim anything) are NOT acceptable attire for dinner. Most cruise lines use the following designations.

>> "Formal" evenings require either "black tie" (dinner jacket outfit or tuxedo) or a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit with dress shirt and tie for gentlemen and either a full length dress or a formal (very dressy) cocktail dress for ladies.

>> On lines that have them, "semiformal" evenings require either a business suit or a sport coat and slacks, worn with a dress shirt and a necktie in either case, for gents and a business dress or cocktail dress for ladies.

>> On lines that have them, "informal" evenings require a sport coat or "blazer" over a shirt with a collar and dress slacks (but no necktie) for gentlemen and a cocktail dress, sun dress, or business dress for ladies.

>> "Casual" evenings require a shirt with a collar and dress slacks for gentlemen and a sun dress or a nice top with either a skirt or slacks for ladies.

A few lines have started using terms such as "smart casual" and "resort casual" that are not recognized in social etiquette. To make matters worse, Princess's explanation of "smart casual" is the same as "causal" but Royal Caribbean's explanation of "smart casual" is the same was "semiformal." The best advice is to read and follow the descriptions of the standards of dress in the precruise documentation package that you will receive after you make your final payment.

Norm.
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Yeoman

When we cruised on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas, we saw everything in the dining room -- on formal night and casual night.

We were used to the stricter dress code on HAL, and so we asked our server about the way people were dressing. He said "It's your vacation, wear what you want."

The people at the next table to ours were wearing T-shirts and shorts on formal night!

I've never seen that on HAL ... but HAL has relaxed its code and does allow jeans in the dining room on casual nights.
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Personally, I wouldn't do shorts in the dining room for dinner. The maitre d' has a lot of discretion and you would not want to be asked to go eat on deck.
However, as always, I disagree with the application of social etiquette dress rules. This is a vacation, not a dinner at a hoity-toity society member's home. It's not even country club level. A decent shirt, i.e. not a t-shirt, and long pants of any type would be fine other than on formal night.
For formal night, you don't need to spend a fortune on dress slacks either. My hubby has one pair that came from WalMart. I was a tad appalled, since I am old fashioned, but when he wore them, I couldn't tell the difference.
Relax, enjoy!
Marty