Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Passenger

Default packing meds question

I just looked at the tsa web site on packing liquids etc. It says each passenger may take 1 qt size plasic bag to hold liquids etc. I was planning on putting our filled pill boxes in individual plastic bags in so that if they come open the pills will be "contained". I would not want them mixed in with other liquids that might come open too.
Is this permitted?
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Sure it is.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM
First Mate

FWIW Id make sure to take along the bottle with the prescription info on them so there is no question about what they are and who they were prescribed to.

Anonymous pills outside of there regular container may raise an eyebrow with secuirty folks.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Admiral

i use those daily pill containers for my pills, just make sure that each compartment is shut tight, and put it in your carry-on. If you have liquid medication, definitely bring it in its original prescription bottle.
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Just FYI, I make reduced size copies of my prescription receipts, then cut and paste them together. If I took all of my original containers, I would need a separate suitcase! I also like the daily groupings of med's, so I spend minimum of time doing what I need to do.
Marty
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: packing meds question

Suzque49,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I just looked at the tsa web site on packing liquids etc. It says each passenger may take 1 qt size plasic bag to hold liquids etc. I was planning on putting our filled pill boxes in individual plastic bags in so that if they come open the pills will be "contained". I would not want them mixed in with other liquids that might come open too.
Is this permitted?
Pills are not liquids so you can pack them however you want.

That said, I completely agree with the suggestion to bring all medicines in their original containers with the prescription information on the labels. Pills are even more likely to raise the attention of customs inspectors, especially if the drug dogs sniff them out. I generally take pills for three or four days in a small (pocket) pillbox, then put the original containers with enough pills for the balance of the trip in a carry-on bag.

Norm.
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Beginner

I like the idea of making a copy of the receipts and also I would make a list of the meds with dose and time you take them. If I took all my prescription bottles it would take up too much space.
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had heard from a TA that all medication had to have name, med name and dosage to be allowed on the plane. I don't know about the ship. I just scrambled around and got a new script for my inhaler since the label is on the box you throw away. I will take box with me in my purse. Don't know if all this is the gospel but I didn't want to get caught without my inhaler.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Response for pills

Hi!

Just to be on the safe side, every time I cruise I go to my pharmacist and obtain copies of my prescriptions.

They are only too happy to give them to me.

Give them at least 4 days notice. In this way, there is no question about the prescription and if the ship needs to they can call the pharmacy.

Diane

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Default Meds in General

BTW, if you must take meds, keep them with you or in your carryon luggage, especially if meds for a chronic conditions (heart, asthma, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeteach68
Hi!

Just to be on the safe side, every time I cruise I go to my pharmacist and obtain copies of my prescriptions.

They are only too happy to give them to me.

Give them at least 4 days notice. In this way, there is no question about the prescription and if the ship needs to they can call the pharmacy.

Diane
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy100
I had heard from a TA that all medication had to have name, med name and dosage to be allowed on the plane. I don't know about the ship. I just scrambled around and got a new script for my inhaler since the label is on the box you throw away. I will take box with me in my purse. Don't know if all this is the gospel but I didn't want to get caught without my inhaler.
I also have some meds that come this way, for example my inhalers for Asthma. I went to my pharmacist and asked him to print me an extra label for all of my inhalers and just attached them directly to the inhaler, so I would have no questions asked.

When I flew to Italy in April, I packed my prescription meds in a clear, zippered makeup bag and put it in my carryon bag. I made sure that the RX labels were attached to the bottles. I did not include this in my quart size ziptop bag. The only airport terminal where it was checked was in Mobile - our hometown and original flight.