Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Beginner

Default Winter cruise dress requirements

Hi there

I have only ever cruised in warm climates before but will be cruising transatlantic in January. Can anybody tell me what weather to expect and what type of clothing is required? I will also be going "round the horn" shortly afterwards and would appreciate hearing about anybody else's experiences.

Thanks

Christine
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Winter cruise dress requirements

Christine,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi there

I have only ever cruised in warm climates before but will be cruising transatlantic in January. Can anybody tell me what weather to expect and what type of clothing is required? I will also be going "round the horn" shortly afterwards and would appreciate hearing about anybody else's experiences.

Thanks
You did not say on which ship you are crossing or from which port to which port (the ports would provide some indication of the likely route), but I can assure you that most transatlantic cruises at that time of year take a southerly route because the northern part of the Atlantic is notoriously rough in the winter. I have watched 10' to 12' waves roll down the entire length (~865') of the flight deck of the 40,000 ton helicopter carrier USS Saipan (LHA-2) every day for two weeks, both deploying to (February) and returning from (April) Europe for a NATO exercise called Teamwork '84. We also had a battalion of marines aboard, many of whose faces were about the same shade of green as their uniforms. Suffice it to say that cruise ships don't venture into the northern areas Atlantic in the winter because the rough seas would be far too unsettling to most of the passengers. By contrast, the tropics and subtropical regions are usually quite pleasant. If you are crossing in the southern hemisphere, it will be summer so, again, you can expect warm weather.

As to going "'round the Horn," remember that January and February are during the summer season in the southern hemisphere. Thus, you can expect normal summer weather on that sailing.

Norm.
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Beginner

Hi Norm

Thanks for that info. I will in fact be travelling Southampton to New York, a fairly normal cruise route for transatlantic, so I take it that will not fall into the first category mentioned in your post, which I think I might find somewhat uncomfortable!

I realise that the Horn will be in summertime, but I had got the impression that it is fairly rough all year round.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Regards

Chris
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Chris, being from the New England region of the US i can tell you that January can be very cold. I would pack a winter jacket hat & gloves. Warm trousers, sweaters/sweatshirts and warm boots if you plan on spending anytime up on deck. Layers are the key to staying warm
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Chris,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi Norm

Thanks for that info. I will in fact be travelling Southampton to New York, a fairly normal cruise route for transatlantic, so I take it that will not fall into the first category mentioned in your post, which I think I might find somewhat uncomfortable!
If you are going directly from Southampton to New York, that route IS in the northern Atlantic and may well be rather rough in January. I'm amazed that any passenger vessel is operating that route at that time of year.

And for a cruise from Southampton to New York, I agree completely with Lisa's suggestion to bring a winter coat, hat, and gloves. The daytime temperature in New York can be anywhere from +75 to -20 deg. F at that time of year, and a blizzard also is quite possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I realise that the Horn will be in summertime, but I had got the impression that it is fairly rough all year round.
That probably won't be as rough as your crossing. Most of the lines seem to be deploying very large vessels on that route now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thanks for taking the time to post.
You're welcome!

Enjoy your cruises!

Norm.
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Beginner

Thanks Norm and LisaK. Looks like I'll need a larger suitcase for the winter clothes.

Cheers

Chris
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Admiral

christine - a great space saver is to either wear or carry-on your outerwear jacket.